Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Charging E bike batteries

No, the 150w factory inverter is tiny and is on the back of the socket in the trim panel and the supply wiring will be too small.
You need to mount it under the seat close to the leisure battery with decent cables and appropriate fuse.
Cheers Loz, it could probably go under the drivers seat and I understand re the wiring. Fear not, I don't plan to do it myself, too much risk.
Tom

Off topic but Levo's are brilliant. It's somehow a different sport to mountain biking. Faster, more fun, you go further etc. I bought one last September. I'm almost at 1000Kms so far around the trails near home. I'd recommend them to anyone. Get the full sus version - makes the downhills much more fun. There's one near us I used to take quite gingerly on my hardtail but it's flat out with the seat lowered now, then at the bottom flick the seat back up and off you go racing up the next hill. Great fun.

And thanks to everyone for the contributions, think I'll follow Skewif's idea.
I installed a trailing (fused) 35A socket to the battery under the seat then just connect the inverter when needed.

Off topic but Levo's are brilliant. It's somehow a different sport to mountain biking. Faster, more fun, you go further etc. I bought one last September. I'm almost at 1000Kms so far around the trails near home. I'd recommend them to anyone. Get the full sus version - makes the downhills much more fun. There's one near us I used to take quite gingerly on my hardtail but it's flat out with the seat lowered now, then at the bottom flick the seat back up and off you go racing up the next hill. Great fun.

Skewifs idea does sound a good possibility and I note he uses a 300w inverter which is much less than I thought was required.

Tom

PS I have a Focus Jam 2, awesome bit of kit.

I got the inverter from Maplin some 20 years ago. 300w constant and something like 400w peak. They still do a very similar one for £30 ish. I did check with a power meter to see what the charger draws. Also use it for charging multiple items at once, drone, laptop etc when the sun is good or driving. E554143A-55D7-4142-987A-9F8E28C8E0C2.jpeg

The connectors are Anderson Power Pole using 4mm2 cable if I remember right. Tucks under the seat out of sight when not in use.

Thanks, really helpful. I note there are both modified sinewave and pure/true sinewave inverters. I would only be using it for the bike batteries so could I just use a modified sinewave one - they are quite a bit cheaper?

My pleasure. The inverter is a modified sinewave, been using it for years without problems. If it broke I'd get a pure sinewave one as probably better for some of the things I run on it. They seem to last an age so good value in the long run. Modified should be OK but maybe best to try one with your charger first.

What about the extra weight. You don’t find it a problem...?
Thanks for the info.
I need to commit to one, I think.
Possibly looking at a Giant E bike, as my friend gives me discount through his shop ;)

What about the extra weight. You don’t find it a problem...?
Who's extra weight!!???

And no, you don't. although I do take the battery out if I'm putting it on the bike rack - and the tyres don't really fit the carriers - but who cares..

I asked our local Specialized store if I could try one out - they gave me one for a weekend - a day in Derbyshire and the rest around where we live and I was hooked.

Give them a ring - try one out. Don't know about the Giant - although if it's one where the battery is mounted on where the bottle holder would go then they say these rattle a lot. But up to you. And if you get discount then great - but look around, mine was discounted 30% or something ridiculous. Still a shed load of money but as I said earlier just brilliant!!!!!

Bramco, I’ve heard some great reviews of the Levo.
I would definitely try them both before buying. It’s mainly for the wife because she struggles when we travel over bigger distances. She doesn’t cycle as much as me.
I’m considering one for myself to carry our 2 year old. It's hard work carrying the extra weight and thought an e-bike could help lighten the load.

Agree, they are sooooo expensive. But hear they are loads of fun.

The Levo is a superb bike. I had a Haibike Xduro e-bike before that, which I also thought was fantastic, but the Levo is superior. Specialized were late to the e-bike party, but they nailed it.

Yes it is heavy, but not noticeable when riding. The only problem I have in that regard is lifting it (over fences for example). However, I am approaching 70 and not very strong...

I am approaching 70
Me too! I've not found fences an issue but on my trial run, had to backtrack a mile and a half because there were some cows and heiffers in the corner of a field in Derbyshire where the gate was that I was heading to.

I would have chucked the old bike over the wall and carried on but thanks to the Levo the mile and a half back up hill was a breeze.

I am electric no knowledge. What is required (adaptor) to charge an ebike battery from the electric supply point in a campsite?

Sorry for newbie question!

I am electric no knowledge. What is required (adaptor) to charge an ebike battery from the electric supply point in a campsite?

Sorry for newbie question!

Is it the same in UK and on continent?

Is it the same in UK and on continent?
If you are on Campsite Mains Electric Hookup then just plug your Mains Charger into the Mains - 230v socket on the end of the Kitchen Unit.
DO NOT plug your Mains Charger into the Inverter Socket at the base of the B Pillar between the Kitchen unit and Front seat.

Thank you.

Is it also OK to plug into the mains charger when driving?

Thank you.

Is it also OK to plug into the mains charger when driving?

Are you meaning the 13 amp socket on the end of the kitchen unit? If so that is only live when you are plugged into the mains by a hook-up cable.
Or are you asking about using the inverter whilst driving along?

Are you meaning the 13 amp socket on the end of the kitchen unit? If so that is only live when you are plugged into the mains by a hook-up cable.
Or are you asking about using the inverter whilst driving along?
Ah apologies for confusion - yes I meant for it to be plugged in and charging from the 13 amp socket when driving !

Ah apologies for confusion - yes I meant for it to be plugged in and charging from the 13 amp socket when driving !
The 13 amp socket, as explained in the Handbook, is ONLY powered when plugged into the Campsite Mains Hookup.

Thanks to advice on this thread, I bought a Maplins 600w modified sinewave inverter and used Anderson Powerpole connectors and an inline fuse directly wired to the under seat leisure battery. The inverter is small and neat and I stow it under the drivers seat when not in use but it works fine and seemed to charge the battery as quickly as at home. I only plan to use it when there is no hook up. Maplins have some great closing down offers, their 600w inverter was only £35.99. Thanks again for the help.

Thanks to advice on this thread, I bought a Maplins 600w modified sinewave inverter and used Anderson Powerpole connectors and an inline fuse directly wired to the under seat leisure battery. The inverter is small and neat and I stow it under the drivers seat when not in use but it works fine and seemed to charge the battery as quickly as at home. I only plan to use it when there is no hook up. Maplins have some great closing down offers, their 600w inverter was only £35.99. Thanks again for the help.
Glad you found a solution. Charging an E-bike battery can take quite a lot from the leisure batteries so well worth connecting to hookup ASAP after for a good 12 hours to preserve their life. Ride on!

Skewif, thanks however I have 2 new 100ah leisure batteries and my bike battery is 378w and usually only requires a top up from say 50 per cent. Thanks for your help and I even did it myself

Tom