Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Charging question:

Curryzz

Curryzz

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Beginner talking..

Does the mains 240 hook up charge both the leisure batteries & the engine battery on a California 6.1?

Thank you

Paul

Yes... Will prioritise the leisure to 100% then trickle the engine battery :thumb

Yes... Will prioritise the leisure to 100% then trickle the engine battery :thumb
Brilliant that’s a much better charging system than my previous conversion. Great, thank you

Reactions: Sad
Depending on the setup it can be the same with solar panels - leisure batteries prioritised and then trickle to starter battery.

Recommendation is to charge for 24hours every month on EHU...
Ok, no problem. I won’t be using it all the time so it will definitely need charging, however I want to take care of the batteries & not run them flat, I assume that will damage them?

Ok, no problem. I won’t be using it all the time so it will definitely need charging, however I want to take care of the batteries & not run them flat, I assume that will damage them?
Run flat will damage them yes, absolutely. But you do need to use them also. Leaving it plugged in the whole time in the garage is not great either. Even when on site EHU, you should disconnect for a few hours every few days. I am by no means an expert, just things I've picked up from the forum over the years...

Anyone has experience with not-plugging the cali at all? We usually avoid campings and if we are (rarely) on one, we don't pay for the electricity anyway, as we simply don't need more than we get from the batteries.
But I have never owned a cali long-term before. If you drive consistently, is it a problem to not plug it at all and just base on the engine-charging?

I tend to turn on the max charge option quite often while driving, just so I can get a bit more juice of every drive. Not sure how much it changes, but I saw the battery voltage increases afterwards, while driving, so I guess it's more than just increasing the RPM on idle.

Anyone has experience with not-plugging the cali at all? We usually avoid campings and if we are (rarely) on one, we don't pay for the electricity anyway, as we simply don't need more than we get from the batteries.
But I have never owned a cali long-term before. If you drive consistently, is it a problem to not plug it at all and just base on the engine-charging?

I tend to turn on the max charge option quite often while driving, just so I can get a bit more juice of every drive. Not sure how much it changes, but I saw the battery voltage increases afterwards, while driving, so I guess it's more than just increasing the RPM on idle.
I use my Cali (T5 and now a T6) for going to sports tournaments and park in the available areas around the sports facilities. They are usually full weekend events from Thursday to Sunday and there is no external power available. I use the fridge the whole time as well as lighting and have never had the fridge stop on me. So 3 days is certainly achievable. I never use the heating, so can't say what that would do. I do know that the leisure batteries have to be above a certain charge for the heater to start. I have had the starter battery drain, so make sure now that the courtesy lighting is off the whole time.

We go to sweden and norway in summer for 3 weeks , wild camping, only on camping once a week and even then battery only. It is no Problem if you do not stay on one place for longer than 3 days without driving.

So long as you drive a reasonable distance, 25-30 miles, every few days you should be fine. Especially if you also have solar panels.

My fridge does switch off with little mileage, very hot weather (around 30C) and in the full sun. Happened yesterday. I've been on charge (well the Cali) on my driveway since yesterday evening.

So long as you drive a reasonable distance, 25-30 miles, every few days you should be fine. Especially if you also have solar panels.
Well, I don't have the solar power (yet). I mostly wonder if for some reasons potentially alternator wouldn't provide enough voltage/power or current stable enough to charge the batteries, in comparison to the outlet. But tbh I don't see why that would be. After all a normal car normally doesn't need any supplementary charging. Just that it has 2 batteries less :p

This thread is a must read,. For any Cali owner, particularly those posted from VW Guru.

not all Starter batteries are trickle charged whilst on hook up!

I’ve owned our 2008 T5 since 2009 and it is used for camping and a few day trips only. It’s sat for months at a time and only gets plugged in at alternate campsites on our 2 week summer trips. The 13 years old leisure batteries still work perfectly and charge to 13v.

I’ve owned our 2008 T5 since 2009 and it is used for camping and a few day trips only. It’s sat for months at a time and only gets plugged in at alternate campsites on our 2 week summer trips. The 13 years old leisure batteries still work perfectly and charge to 13v.
When camping, without EHU, how long do they last while powering fridge and lights?

When camping, without EHU, how long do they last while powering fridge and lights?
It’s pretty reliably 10% a day. Lights and fridge only. We often do 7 days without plugging in. I recall doing 10 days once without problems but we possibly went for a couple of short drives.
Perhaps that type of use actually conditions them well. I dunno.

Last edited: