Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cheaper channel crossings through club memberships?

Bobshire

Bobshire

Vehicle
N/A
Hi
Has anybody got an overview of caravan club/camping magazine perks that reduce the cost of channel crossings?

I travel 5 - 6 times back and forth between Britain and the continent. Sofar I used a frequent travellers' account with the Channel Tunnel. It is quite dear and their cheap times are rediculous when coming back from Europe (starting after 12pm). It couldnt be much easier though with respect to staying in the van and sleeping in the van.
I do remember the horrible trips on the ferry 20 and more years ago - crowded, loud, trying to get some sleep huddled in a corner on the floor. Has that changed?

Still I would like to consider all the options and would appreciate some input.
I am considering a camping and caravan club membership anyway because I seem to end up on their sites anyway.

Thanks a lot
Beate

We have a house in France and we used to buy a block of 10 journeys from DFDS, Dunkirk/Dover for £26 each way. Don't know whether they still offer this service.
We now use the Brittany ferry overnight.
Stopped using Dover because of M1/M25/M20

I used to go over every two months or so for years and always used the ferry but hated it - often rough, mobbed with coachloads smoking, drinking, pushing. Have used Eurotunnel for years now - yes, it's more expensive but so worth it for the time saving, convenience and comfort.

I've also considered the frequent traveller but as you say the restrictions are silly as you always want to go out 8-10 and back 1400-1800. Add in the supplements and the savings are not so great. We just try and book the cheapest most basic non flexible fare as early as possible.

Look at it from the operators point of view.
1. Why discount peak sailings?
2. Only discount non popular slots.

That already happens, I use AFerry to book mine

We use the CCC discounts a lot. More than pays for the membership. Usually Newhaven, Dieppe.
I tried to use the CCC discount once. They insisted on discounting against the price for a Motorhome. Using the AFerry app, you specify the vehicle as a VW California and the price is the price for a car - and cheaper than the CCC quote even with their discount

Thanks everybody for your feedback !!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Forget the 2 major caravan clubs
Always book direct for best prices and greater flexibility should you wish to change your travel times/dates.
Always book Cali as a car ,it’s sub 5 metres long and is within height limits for a car. ( think Land Rover disco )
Never had any problems and crossed channel numerous times.
Check internet for ferry discount cards

We are frequent users of the Brittany Ferries service Portsmouth - Saint Malo usually and have their Club Voyage discount card. A hefty 30% off plus other benefits and applies to all crossings whatever the time.

We are frequent users of the Brittany Ferries service Portsmouth - Saint Malo usually and have their Club Voyage discount card. A hefty 30% off plus other benefits and applies to all crossings whatever the time.
Are you forgetting the hefty “membership “ fee

Also use Brittany Ferries Club Voyage. Portsmouth-Caen route which saves hundreds of miles travelling down through France to destination on Normandy/Brittany border area.
Afternoon sailing from Portsmouth and morning one from Caen are cheapest, rate depends on which day you choose.

Joining plus annual fee. The joining fee makes it not cost effective for a single crossing, I do 6 or 7 crossings per year.

Anyone can get 10% reduction on fare if you go online and use Friend of Member quoting Grant F93981

Also use Brittany Ferries Club Voyage. Portsmouth-Caen route which saves hundreds of miles travelling down through France to destination on Normandy/Brittany border area.
Afternoon sailing from Portsmouth and morning one from Caen are cheapest, rate depends on which day you choose.

Joining plus annual fee. The joining fee makes it not cost effective for a single crossing, I do 6 or 7 crossings per year.

Anyone can get 10% reduction on fare if you go online and use Friend of Member quoting Grant F93981
Same with us

Back