Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Zello: Push to Talk voice app VW California Club Channel - Overview.

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Zello is an app for iOS and Android phones and tablets that allows push to talk (PTT) communication very similar to radio but without the limited range of radio. It works using data or wifi to send your voice to the channel. You do not need to exchange phone numbers and can control who can contact you.

After using the app for a while I thought it could be really useful for Cali Meets and for owners who simply fancy a chat with other members without knowing phone numbers or emails. Combined with our international nature it could be a real winner for members that want to use it.Best of all it is free and stores comms for a short time so that members can catch up on a conversation or replay instructions or directions.

The club channel is available here:
https://zello.com/vwcaliforniaclub

Last edited:
Just had a chat with Capt S all the way in Africa clear as a bell.

Little update post to show how to disable notifications so you aren’t surprised by disembodied voices at unexpected moments. Screenshots are iOS but android should be similar.

Click on the channel you want to edit settings for and click the picture (in this case the van).
47352a26fe41b533c32df2aeffbc0ad8.png

This will give you the settings.
ed197c805d4ca507fea788ae59519e94.png

Go to the channel alerts option
eb1ee0ae31d71524239c27327f446bdf.png

Change the option as desired.

To turn off a channel entirely simply press the blue circular power button by the channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Matt. Lots of fun to be had, me thinks :thumb

c32333a9d6b3f239244cdb00b7484a15.png

You can also change the status to change how you receive messages.

Thanks looks intriguing just installed and joined :thumb

Just had a chat with Capt S all the way in Africa clear as a bell.

Little update post to show how to disable notifications so you aren’t surprised by disembodied voices at unexpected moments. Screenshots are iOS but android should be similar.

Click on the channel you want to edit settings for and click the picture (in this case the van).
47352a26fe41b533c32df2aeffbc0ad8.png

This will give you the settings.
ed197c805d4ca507fea788ae59519e94.png

Go to the channel alerts option
eb1ee0ae31d71524239c27327f446bdf.png

Change the option as desired.

To turn off a channel entirely simply press the blue circular power button by the channel.

I found out the hard way by being woken 4am this morning hearing some American saying 'hello... hello' on another channel.:headbang

I found out the hard way by being woken 4am this morning hearing some American saying 'hello... hello' on another channel.:headbang
Was he asking why the California isn't available in the US?

Oh that's not good! :eek: I must admit I have quite a few channels enabled but only small ones like ours.

If you set your status to busy, you will get a notification but not the voice message.

I am probably going to use this during the Bornholm trip, if anyone else is travelling at the same time, may be good to say hello.

Back