Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Chill out picnic spots in Suffolk / East Anglia?

cazmatt

cazmatt

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
As new Cali owners, we're still getting into the swing of things, we've nearly got the camping bit sussed (I even managed to swivel the seats in one go once) - but one of the joys of the Cali seems to be just finding a remote spot during the day, parking up and chilling out for a while (and letting the dogs have a run around, off lead ideally).

Does anyone know of any such places in / around Suffolk and the coast? (as we may head there this weekend)

Or a good way to find these places when visiting a new area?

I naively thought its the sort of thing you'd spot "on the way" to places but the reality of that seems to be A-road lay-bys. If we knew a way to find these places it would open up day tripping (we live in Hertfordshire so any ideas from there also welcome) - or maybe its the sort of thing you build up knowledge of over years of travelling the UK - we're only 2 months in to Cali life! Having searched the forum I cant see anything on the Suffolk area (although a similar Hampshire thread has resulted in several bookmarked locations :happy)

As new Cali owners, we're still getting into the swing of things, we've nearly got the camping bit sussed (I even managed to swivel the seats in one go once) - but one of the joys of the Cali seems to be just finding a remote spot during the day, parking up and chilling out for a while (and letting the dogs have a run around, off lead ideally).

Does anyone know of any such places in / around Suffolk and the coast? (as we may head there this weekend)

Or a good way to find these places when visiting a new area?

I naively thought its the sort of thing you'd spot "on the way" to places but the reality of that seems to be A-road lay-bys. If we knew a way to find these places it would open up day tripping (we live in Hertfordshire so any ideas from there also welcome) - or maybe its the sort of thing you build up knowledge of over years of travelling the UK - we're only 2 months in to Cali life! Having searched the forum I cant see anything on the Suffolk area (although a similar Hampshire thread has resulted in several bookmarked locations :happy)
You could try East lane, IP12 3AP, or Shingle Street, they're both on the same road from Woodbridge to Bawdsey. They used to be very quiet places, I used to beach fish from them. I've not been for a few years though.

but one of the joys of the Cali seems to be just finding a remote spot during the day, parking up and chilling out for a while (and letting the dogs have a run around, off lead ideally).

Know exactly what you mean. I see some of the images on the 'pictures of your van' thread and I look on with envy. I also assumed we'd just find them en-route, but never really have.

Also live in Herts, and whilst there are some pretty places, they are either very narrow country lanes where you can't park, or more of a main A road and pretty but noisy.

Maybe I should try and get deliberately lost a bit more, think the downside of sat-nav living is it's all a bit too efficient to get where you want to go.:)

The eels foot pub in Eastbridge has a very small quiet campsite the do good meals and ales, lots of places to walk nearby, Sizewell, Dunwich give it a google

Thanks everyone! We went to Rendlesham, and Shingle beach, thanks for the suggestions! And we stayed at Green Haven camping - we have been there before and it's a wonderful, quiet, small site.

@Moakesy I actually had good results searching google for "picnic sites" - for some reason I had been fixated by looking for places that were dog friendly rather than thinking simple picnic. But if you look through picnic sites then focus on the larger / rural / simple sites - typically council or forestry commission run etc - I think that might be a trick. I found rendlesham coming up in the suffolk picnic sites as well as recommended here.

Love this forum - so helpful :)

Try cliff house campsite at Minsmere it’s close to Dunwich southwold and the Crown pub at Westleton great coastal walks and nature reserve - it’s our favourite spot

Back