Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Clay bar

calikev

calikev

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Can someone please explain the technique for using a clay bar. I know if you drop it to throw
It away but can it be used again another day? Do I need to use a cleaner or do I use just water.
Sorry for the dumb ass questions :rofl and what's the best clay bar to go for :thumb

I'd go for Bilt Hambers firmer bar (they do two types) mainly because:

1) It's brilliant
2) You can use water as a lube (most need "detailing spray") - just spray mist it on with a household sprayer
3) It's brilliant

Get the van nice and clean but not necessarily dry, pull off a bit of clay (I use about half a handful or a quarter of the bar), flatten it slightly then just rub it gently over the paintwork. You'll feel smooth bits and draggy bits (dirt). Do small bits at a time but very importantly, KEEP THE PAINT lubed/wet or you do damage. Once it looks mucky, turn it over and use a cleaner bit. I can do an entire car with a pretty small bit.

Now for the next vital bit - you've now taken off the cars lacquer and MUST re-seal it. Again there's the faff method or the easy method - I use a polish that's also a sealant called Zaino Z5 Pro. Wipe on, leave for 15 mins (or more), buff off. It's brilliant.

Once done, your car/van will look so damn shiny, it's almost embarrassing!

Products here:

Clay
http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/bilt ... ginal.aspx

Polish/sealant
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/zaino/zai ... d_468.html

Thanks mate that's just what I wanted :thumb do I throw it away once I have finished the whole van :?:

Calikev said:
Thanks mate that's just what I wanted :thumb do I throw it away once I have finished the whole van :?:

Yep - once mucky, it stays mucky! And if you do drop it, definitely bin it or you'll be dragging grit across the van! I've dropped mine twice - DOH!

You throw it away when it gets dirty - you'll know and you throw it away if it is dropped or otherwise contaminated (the grit will ruin your paintwork).

And you'll be amazed at how much dirt comes off a very clean looking car/van!

Ordered some going to give it a go before the smg meet. Thanks guys :thumb :thumb

Calikev said:
Ordered some going to give it a go before the smg meet. Thanks guys :thumb :thumb

Set aside a fair bit of time to do an entire Cali! I tend to do one "side" at a time (or two if keen) to save getting told off by the missus - she doesn't quite understand my wee fleck of OCD.

Cleaned and polished both vehicles today and was alarmed at the warm glow I felt afterwards...

I need help... :oops: :rofl

Clay bars scare me! All that talk of removing lacquer and dragging grit across the paintwork is enough to make sure i never buy any!
I did get some of that zaino polish following kernow's recommendation and can confirm its great stuff. Even if i have only used it once......

Maybe a before and after photo on a panel kev would be good and let us know how you get on :thumb :thumb ....

Don't throw your old clay bar away :crazy :doh

Use it on parts of the van that aren't so sesitive to sratches like your wheels and glass it will bring them up a treat

Also a mild solution of washing up liquid is a great lubricant - You don't need to use detailing spray

Back