Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Claying

B

Bubble

VIP Member
Anyone tried Claying their Cali ? Fancy giving it a go & I'm interested if the results are noticeable?
Reflex silver van
Cheers

Can't beat a good claying and proper polish afterwards.

I do it once a year... Takes a few hours and very tired hands/arms but worth it from my perspective.

'tis proper hard work. :)

Rgds
M

Sorry I lied

Can you describe a proper polish..? I know my idea of a polish & I bet it's not to your standards ;)

I clayed my 'clean' van and was staggered by the 'fall out' and muck still on it.

Although it's a balls ache, it's worth doing a 'wash, clay, wash, dry and polish' just to get some protection on nice, 'properly' clean paint - even if it's just once a year!

I recently clayed my new Cali, posted some info and pics in the cleaning and care section

Just clayed (and sealed) my 18 month old Cali - first time I've clayed a vehicle.

I was amazed at the muck it removed from what I thought was a very clean van.

It feels like silk now - even the bottoms of the doors and tailgate.

I'd highly recommend it if like me you haven't tried it before.

:bananadance

I'm fascinated by claying but the thought of doing it worries me for some reason. Isn't there any danger of a clueless chump (like me!) damaging their paintwork by rubbing a lump of clay over it?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be two scared. Obviously the van should be cleaned well prior to dispose of grit & grime. Keep folding the clay bar to lock in contamination. If you drop the clay bar do not start rubbing your paint work as you may have acquired a lodger I.e a big stone & this would most certainly scratch your paint work.
Looking at the colour of your paintwork it would really enhance it so don't be scared :D

Freeley said:
I'm fascinated by claying but the thought of doing it worries me for some reason. Isn't there any danger of a clueless chump (like me!) damaging their paintwork by rubbing a lump of clay over it?

You do need to take care - dry/non lubed clay can damage the paintwork. Bilt Hamber clay only need water as lube (use a garden/flower sprayer), others needs detailing spray. Do small areas at a time and make sure you seal the paint afterwards - my current choice is Dodo Supernatural Hybrid. Just done the van and the car and water and muck pretty much fall off!

Nice one. I MAY give this a go as our cali has been sadly neglected over the winter and is in need of some TLC

Freeley said:

I was a bit worried to start but I used plenty of the lube and had no problems. It turned out to be very easy. The clay was less pliable than I expected (Iike partially dried plasticine). I flattened a 25g piece into a mini pancake sprayed it and the vehicle with lube and gently rubbed it on the paintwork. To start it grips the paint but as the muck is pulled off it glides over. As it gets dirty you just fold the pancake in half (with the muck inside) and flatten again. Keep going like that until you can't get a clean pancake anymore. Then wipe the excess lube off with a microfibre cloth and move on until it's all done. Then I just applied a gloss sealant. It looks and feels stunning - just like the day it came from the factory. :bananadance

Custardtart said:
Freeley said:

I was a bit worried to start but I used plenty of the lube and had no problems. It turned out to be very easy. The clay was less pliable than I expected (Iike partially dried plasticine). I flattened a 25g piece into a mini pancake sprayed it and the vehicle with lube and gently rubbed it on the paintwork. To start it grips the paint but as the muck is pulled off it glides over. As it gets dirty you just fold the pancake in half (with the muck inside) and flatten again. Keep going like that until you can't get a clean pancake anymore. Then wipe the excess lube off with a microfibre cloth and move on until it's all done. Then I just applied a gloss sealant. It looks and feels stunning - just like the day it came from the factory. :bananadance

Good job, I do our cars and Cali about once a year and it always amazes me how much contamination comes off. It brings the paintwork back to new.

I usually buy my products from Polished Bliss as I found them via a forum for one of my cars several years ago. Good products but they also have some really useful car care advice pages and videos including advice on washing, Claying and detailing.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/car-care-advice.html

Two post clayed grey vehicles:

P1020563.jpg

P1020895.jpg

I must emphasise how important it is to "seal" the paint after claying or you'll have a "naked" paint job stripped of protection. Make sure you polish/seal it (combined polish/sealant is ideal). Once done, water and dirt will pretty much fall off your van - very satisfying.

But because the sealing is so important, maybe do one side/end of the van at a time - to clay and seal/polish a Cali is quite a job and something like unexpected rain can ruin your efforts.

I think with all this "detailing" there's too much mystery and a bewildering choice - I do mine not to try and have the shiniest van/car (last no time anyway on our muddy roads) but to look after them and make them easier to wash.

Spending an entire day on a car wash is a bit mad IMO. It's all about making life easier for me and a few steps will save time in the long run. It's always nice to have a gleaming van too!

KernowLad said:
Two post clayed grey vehicles:

P1020563.jpg

P1020895.jpg

I must emphasise how important it is to "seal" the paint after claying or you'll have a "naked" paint job stripped of protection. Make sure you polish/seal it (combined polish/sealant is ideal). Once done, water and dirt will pretty much fall off your van - very satisfying.

But because the sealing is so important, maybe do one side/end of the van at a time - to clay and seal/polish a Cali is quite a job and something like unexpected rain can ruin your efforts.

Yep looks like you've done a good job there Kernowlad ,I do like the m135i in the grey btw

KernowLad said:
Cheers Gasgas.
What colour is yours?[/

We went for white with red leather,it's coming up for 5000 miles and just starting to sound nice ...

Gasgas said:
KernowLad said:
Cheers Gasgas.
What colour is yours?[/

We went for white with red leather,it's coming up for 5000 miles and just starting to sound nice ...

We so nearly went for the same but had a last minute change to grey. Love the red leather; really livens up the slightly dark interior (we decided the sunroof was a bit small to be worth having). 10k miles on ours; bit of a workhorse for business trips.
Love the pops and crackles they make, especially when cold started!

Hi Guys I was a Valeter for BMW and was treated to some really good traing buy autoglym on the full range of their products.
Using clay is easy and as many of you said straight forward what I can add to this is yes you do need to polish and seal the paint afterwards. But as I have seen first hand and also proven to doubtful family members the polish is great it helps fill any slight imperfections adding a coat or 2 of wax on top makes a world of difference.
I can't rate the HD wax from autoglym highly enough and after two. Coats it even adds depth to the shine the more coats added the deeper the shine. One coat of wax will last for upto 30 washes. For a quick wash I dry then go round with a rapid detailed just to bring that shine back to tip top glory.
I've always been asked what I use on my vans.

image.jpg Sorry I know it's not a Cali.....

Must admit I was moved to try this technique after reading this thread. I bought the Autoglym kit and started at the back of the car (basalt black metallic 18 months old). It was very laborious and by the time I reached the doors I had had enough! So I applied the Autoglym polish from the kit to the areas I had clayed, and on the rest of the car I just applied Mer, which is my usual easy solution. When I had finished, I couldn't see any difference between the two ... so I'll just carry on with Mer (which by the way is only about £10 for 3 litres in Costco at the moment).

Maybe if the paint has been neglected the claying will restore it, but if it's been regularly looked after then the benefits will probably be minimal.

Or then again I'm just too idle to do a proper job :D