Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Close to buying a California

R

Richard_O

Hi

So pleased I've found this website & forum.

We rented a T5 swb conversion a month ago for a trip around Scotland. We had a great time and fell in love with the principle of travelling and living in a T5. Four of us were travelling - 2 grown ups and two little ones (3 & 1). We also had a tent awning which sorted the difficulty for space (child seats, porta potty). Everything was good until the first night sleep. I was to sleep with our three year old 'upstairs' - as I snuggled in I realised that I was too long (5 10) and if I slept on my back my feet were wedged in!!!!

So we had to swap...

Can anyone tell me if it's comfortable for a man of average height (5 10) to sleep 'upstairs'. Also, is the California roof better insulated than the REIMO equivalent??

Apart from that we had the best time!

Thanks
Richard

Nice to speak with you earlier today, as discussed if there is anyone near Richard in his part of the country it would be nice if he could have a nose around your Cali to get a good idea of why we all prefer them to conversions :grin:

Where are you based? Loads of room upstairs in a California!

We only ever sleep in the roof, I've never even made up the downstairs bed.

Hi Richard

I may not be the best person to answer your question as i dont pick up my Cali until Saturday :thumb

But

Before i ordered i checked out a few cali's and tested the roof beds, I'm 6.1" and had more than enough room. I also looked into the conversions and quickley realised that the overall spec and quality of the cali was far better than the conversions i saw and £ for £ I'm sure I have got a better bang for my buck buying a cali.

Steve

I slept upstairs for the last 2 weeks, am 5'11 and was quite happy, although being on my own I could stretch out and also sleep diagonally.

My wife slept in the awning with the children......

MKRW said:
I slept upstairs for the last 2 weeks, am 5'11 and was quite happy, although being on my own I could stretch out and also sleep diagonally.

I see youre out in your 2012 Cali, just wondered how happy you are with your new toy ?

Steve

SteveW said:
I also looked into the conversions and quickley realised that the overall spec and quality of the cali was far better than the conversions i saw and £ for £ I'm sure I have got a better bang for my buck buying a cali.

Steve

I think that's a conclusion most of us come to Steve, pity for those that don't :laugh2 . If their price reflected it then a conversion could work if done properly but sadly they seem to be getting more and more expensive and built on unsuitable low spec vans to increase the margins.

Stu said:
SteveW said:
I also looked into the conversions and quickley realised that the overall spec and quality of the cali was far better than the conversions i saw and £ for £ I'm sure I have got a better bang for my buck buying a cali.

Steve

I think that's a conclusion most of us come to Steve, pity for those that don't :laugh2 . If their price reflected it then a conversion could work if done properly but sadly they seem to be getting more and more expensive and built on unsuitable low spec vans to increase the margins.

Agreed. The Cali is built on a very decent spec van. Pretty much all these conversions seem happy to use basic Transporters and the low powered engines. Imagine an 80PS unit trying to pull a full conversion!

Then the prices seem close to or usually more than a Cali. I hate the term "no brainer" but...

Thanks for all your comments. We live in North Wales and would love to pick your brains if you live relatively close. Let me know and maybe we can sort something out.

Is the upstairs suitable for winter use?

Thanks
Richard

Yes, with a cover on, Vanorak if your on campsites or a Pucer Screen if you want to wild camp.......

SteveW said:
MKRW said:

I see youre out in your 2012 Cali, just wondered how happy you are with your new toy ?

Steve

Very happy thanks.

5 months in and It still puts a smile on all our faces when we're out and about.
Driving for about 9 hours to travel across the Eurotunnel and through France was a relative breeze.

With 3 Children and a dog it spreads them nicely so reduces the agro a smaller car would provide. We are already planning next years adventures and in the mean time have a few day trips and weekends planned for the rest of this year.

MKRW said:
SteveW said:
MKRW said:

Steve

Very happy thanks.

5 months in and It still puts a smile on all our faces when we're out and about.
Driving for about 9 hours to travel across the Eurotunnel and through France was a relative breeze.

With 3 Children and a dog it spreads them nicely so reduces the agro a smaller car would provide. We are already planning next years adventures and in the mean time have a few day trips and weekends planned for the rest of this year.

That's great to hear, as I get mine the weekend, our first trip is planned for the first two weeks in October. Heading for a few days in a bnb in St Ives then it's some campervaning around the south for a little surfing and kite buggying. Little concerned about how cold it will be up top though, and don't really what to rush out buying vanaraks etc as I will still have a large pain in my wallet pocket from having 40+K surgically removed by the vw garage :shocked

That's great to hear, as I get mine the weekend, our first trip is planned for the first two weeks in October. Heading for a few days in a bnb in St Ives then it's some campervaning around the south for a little surfing and kite buggying. Little concerned about how cold it will be up top though, and don't really what to rush out buying vanaraks etc as I will still have a large pain in my wallet pocket from having 40+K surgically removed by the vw garage

That's what the heater is for it works great and uses very little diesel you will be plenty warm enough up top :thumb

Steve - our young kids slept up top in zero degrees! We had the heater on and a Pucer cover (very simple but effective thermal and waterproof cover that costs £160); no problem. Just use decent sleeping bags! I've been up there (when the baby has had to come downstairs) and it's okay. Colder than down below but the heater does work well - some heat comes out of the front vent straight into the roof section.

The Pucer has also proved itself in Scottish storms!

KernowLad said:
Steve - our young kids slept up top in zero degrees! We had the heater on and a Pucer cover (very simple but effective thermal and waterproof cover that costs £160); no problem. Just use decent sleeping bags! I've been up there (when the baby has had to come downstairs) and it's okay. Colder than down below but the heater does work well - some heat comes out of the front vent straight into the roof section.

The Pucer has also proved itself in Scottish storms!

Hi Kernowlad, great to know. Where did you get the Pucer from ? Must admit I looked at them on a few pics and think the look a better option and less faffing about required than the Vanark.

Steve - it's a slightly odd ordering process. Daren Sykes (who makes them) has no website so you need to email him!

darenpucerscreens@yahoo.co.uk

Only one point to note - ours came with a bungee way too big so I used a much smaller one of my own to clip the back.

Couple of pics that might be useful:

P1010814.jpg

P1010815.jpg

You can use it with roof bars (you can't with the others), it's very quick to fit, doesn't take up much room and has so far proven itself in very nasty conditions.

Cheers Kernowlad, top man ! thanks for that :thumb

I will drop Darren a mail.

On a totally seperate point i have just had a mail from the VW dealer that im collecting my Cali from tomorrow with a picture of my new toy/money pit :thumb :barmy :barmy

SteveW said:
On a totally seperate point i have just had a mail from the VW dealer that im collecting my Cali from tomorrow with a picture of my new toy/money pit :thumb :barmy :barmy

and ........................
:laugh2

You can always come and rent one for the weekend to give it a try properly Richard ;)

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
You can always come and rent one for the weekend to give it a try properly Richard ;)

Yep, would totally recommend this. It's money very well spent. You'll not really get a "feel" for it until you've driven it about a bit and lived in it for a couple of days. A dealer test drive isn't really adequate at all particularly when you are spending this much money. My better half (aka the Finance Director :lol: ) was on the fence until she saw and tried out the upstairs bed and now she is definitely onside, it really is good.