Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Closing roof with sleeping bag ??

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi

I have a new T6.1 Ocean, simple question, is it OK to close the roof with a double sleeping bag spread out over the VW mattress ??? Currently we take it down every night but would be much easier to leave it up there !! We obviously take the pillows down as they are quite thick.

The roof is very sensitive to any extra thickness when closing. The roof side can buckle.

You'd probably get away with it if the sleeping bag is carefully spread out on the mattress, but why do this?

We use a double sleeping bag and pack it away each time in the rear most cupboard.

Is then available to pull out and air when we pull up.

On site I have gently pushed up the bed during the daytime with bedding still there, but always removed anything bulky before lowering roof for driving.

We have a summer duvet which we use on holidays and have found even that is too much. it’s nice to think you don’t need to bother rolling out a duvet or sleeping bags but they are just that little bit too think and the roof doesn’t come down fully.

Hi

I have a new T6.1 Ocean, simple question, is it OK to close the roof with a double sleeping bag spread out over the VW mattress ??? Currently we take it down every night but would be much easier to leave it up there !! We obviously take the pillows down as they are quite thick.
Speaking only for the T6. With the roof down, if you pull back the hatch and insert your hand between the mattress and the roof lining, you can just get a flat hand in between the central section. The side sections are taken up by the roof canvas that has folded inwards. I wouldn’t be tempted to lower the roof with sleeping bags in situ. But as I say that’s on a T6.

Another thought, I bought a zonesleep topper and a thinner mattress from the club shop so I could close the roof without taking down zonesleep for my T6. Perhaps a zonesleep or the thinner mattress would be enough for you with the sleeping bag and so it could remain in situ?

The roof is very fragile and easy to crease; wouldn't recommend closing it other than with the standard mattress.

Look up to the headlining of the roof when you opened it.
I have lines of where the plastic slats in the bellows are stitched. This means even plastic slats with the stitching is too thick to fit under the roof.
I only leave my pyjamas on the bed, all the rest is gone when I close the roof.

We have a good quality down duvet - 4.5 tog. We fold it carefully in half longways so it is away from the edges, and it remains permanently in the roof unless being used.

@Rowls1958 , try it out ....let us know how it worked out....
Or take a look here:
Whilst of course everyone has their own preferences but the prospect of being trapped in a linked sleeping bag in a Cali roof bed would seem to be interesting option that never crossed my mind.
We favour a stupidly expensive king sized, goose down duvet, vive le difference.

We have a good quality down duvet - 4.5 tog. We fold it carefully in half longways so it is away from the edges, and it remains permanently in the roof unless being used.
We actually thought the same and our Duvet is the same 4.5 tog. But when I checked the rubber seals all around we found that in certain areas the rubber seal wasn’t nice and tight to the roof making it prone to water penetration so decided not to risk it.

We actually thought the same and our Duvet is the same 4.5 tog. But when I checked the rubber seals all around we found that in certain areas the rubber seal wasn’t nice and tight to the roof making it prone to water penetration so decided not to risk it.

3 years and 6 months of ownership and 58,500 miles, nearly all of which with a duvet in the roof cavity, no problems at all.

Is there a difference in available space between manually deploying Beach (and Coast) and Ocean?
Perhaps a well worn slatted bed would give a little more space c/p to the T6.1 plastic springing bed.

Is there a difference in available space between manually deploying Beach (and Coast) and Ocean?
Perhaps a well worn slatted bed would give a little more space c/p to the T6.1 plastic springing bed.
The difference with the coast an ocean is as far as I understand the coast is a manual roof an the ocean is electric. So the strain on the motor and mechanism would be on a different level and less chance of something going BANG...

Hi

Can you clarify: when you say "close the roof", do you mean to push up the mattress during the day, or do you literally mean closing down the whole outside roof? If it's the former, then there's no problem; I leave a sheet and a spread-out double duvet up there when I push it up in the morning, which saves a lot of bother and putting things away every day. But if you mean actually bringing down the whole roof so you can drive the van then I reckon that's a bit risky.

Can you clarify: when you say "close the roof", do you mean to push up the mattress during the day, or do you literally mean closing down the whole outside roof? If it's the former, then there's no problem; I leave a sheet and a spread-out double duvet up there when I push it up in the morning, which saves a lot of bother and putting things away every day. But if you mean actually bringing down the whole roof so you can drive the van then I reckon that's a bit risky.

With the roof open I can push the bed up with two little boys squished to the rear platform.

What they are talking about is putting the roof down when you are ready to drive away.. When we are on site we leave a couple of pillows and duvet and no problem at all..It’s up to each owner to take the risk if that’s what they want to do..could potentially be quite expensive if you get it wrong..

Wow, I said 'simple question'...... Thanks for all the replies tho, seems like as most other things on here everyone has their own opinion, just need to weedle out the best advice....

Hi

I think most people have tried it and failed.

Back