Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Clueless about the electrics .....can I connect this to the dashboard

Mags21

Mags21

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
without either blowing up the whole electrical system or draining the battery? It's to have both the usb and three pin plug option........

Foval Car Power Inverter 300W DC 12V to 240V AC Converter with 4.8A Dual USB Charger (Red)

Link - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LVXINUK/?tag=eliteelect-21

Why would you as your SE has one built in?

Yes - but you can't draw 300W as that would require 25A at 12V. The 12V sockets in the Cali are fused at 15A.

The built in invertor socket is rated at 150W.

And why would you? Much better to source 12V or USB chargers where possible. The only thing I use my invertor socket for is a couple of camera battery chargers that have direct 240V inputs.

Funny enough I was looking at this very model last night! It should be fine - the 300w is a maximum rating for the device and using it for laptops, toothbrushes, small chargers etc you will not get anywhere near that.

What do you need to plug in that has a 3 pin plug? Everything I've ever needed to charge at 240v can be used with a 2 pin adaptor or used with a 2 pin to figure 8 lead (iPad, camera charger, laptop, Bluetooth speaker, etc)

Yes you can use that, but I would only plug it into the leisure battery system and not the engine battery.

That would be the 12v sockets on the kitchen end panel, the one under the bench seat by the sliding door or the one in the boot on the right behind the sliding door.

On my van the dashboard cup holder socket is wired to the leisure batteries, but in some others it is wired to the engine battery, so you need to check this one out before you use it and drain the engine battery. Depending on the age of your van you may also have a socket on the top dashboard storage unit. This may also be on the engine battery or on the leisure batteries so you will need to check this one too.

Apparently the electrical build secs changed over time, so your local dealer will be able to tell you what is wired to where on your van by consulting the VW website.

Alan

You may get better help if you can explain what you are trying to achieve by buying the device. I suspect there are easier ways to achieve your goals.

I was going to buy a usb charger to plug into the socket on the dash board to charge my iphone. I had one and it has disappeared. I need to charge my phone when sitting as a passenger and can't use the 3 pin plug behind the passenger seat - too awkward. When looking for a usb charger - one of these......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Mobile-P...01023825&sr=1-2&keywords=usb+cigarette+socket

.....saw the one with the 3 pin option too and thought it might be good to have to plug a fan into a night if using the other one at the end of the kitchen unit to charge laptop / camera. As I struggle to understand the electrics in the van I live in fear of fusing the whole system or worse.

On my van the dashboard cup holder socket is wired to the leisure batteries, but in some others it is wired to the engine battery, so you need to check this one out before you use it and drain the engine battery.

This is what I fear ..... why is everything not wired to the leisure batteries?

Everything I've ever needed to charge at 240v can be used with a 2 pin adaptor or used with a 2 pin to figure 8 lead

What kind of 2 pin adaptor please?

That USB charger is correct for your phone, but ideally just when the van is driving. Use one behind the seats once stopped.
There are USB driven fans that folks have had success with, that avoid you having to go from 12v to 240v with all of the battery crunching that involves.

I'm pretty sure the later T5's 12v dashtop socket is fed from the leisure batteries so ok to use all the time.

I'm pretty sure the later T5's 12v dashtop socket is fed from the leisure batteries so ok to use all the time.

Ours is (2015 MY), but there was a thread a while back that suggests that some vans are wired differently.

(Sorry can't search for that thread right now, just off for M25 to catch the Shuttle!)

:Iamsorry. I understand that many people are not qualified electricians/autoelectricians but common sense and my school education, even though that was some 50 odd years ago, has enabled me to work out a system to charge the many electronic items we use today without blowing up my California.
Some Basic Facts.

1. Using an Inverter and a 240v mains charger to charge a phone or iPad etc: when a 12v charger is available, is a very inefficient way of doing things.
2. Using a 12v socket powered from the Engine battery, when parked up, could lead to a flat battery if you are not careful.
3. The 12v socket in the dashboard, in the cupholder, is normally wired to the engine battery as it is found in the base vehicle. The socket on top of the dashboard, if fitted, can be wired from the Leisure Battery . These sockets should be checked to confirm which battery is powering them.
4. The California 12v sockets are fused at 15amps.

On my California I use 2 X of these 12v multi sockets. 1 plugged into the Kitchen 12v socket and stuck on the kitchen sidewall with double sided tape. The 2nd multi socket is plugged into the first unit.
This gives me 5 spare 12v sockets and 2 standard 0.5amp USB sockets.
s-l500p.jpg

Then I have a variety of 12v to USB charger plugs for an iPone, iPad, Android phone, Kindle, Bluetooth Speaker and USB rechargeable Radio/mp3 player.

s-l500pp.jpg

In order for my wife to use the iPad or iPhone whilst travelling then we use a 2m Apple lead. Longer leads are available.
s-l1600.jpg

All these items are available on Amazon or eBay. Remember Cheap is not always best.

I hope I haven't upset anyone with my comments, but if you buy an expensive vehicle to be used as an out of this world leisure vehicle then common sense and research is required to know it inside out- otherwise it would probably be safer for all concerned if you stayed at home. :cheers

I can understand the confusion on power sockets, but inverters are a last resort as they will always use more of your precious battery power than they transfer to the target device - some cheaper ones may waste up to half the energy they draw - cooling fans fitted to some takes power too (the heat generated is lost energy as well)

I need to charge my phone when sitting as a passenger and can't use the 3 pin plug behind the passenger seat - too awkward. .

The 3-pin plug behind the passenger seat is only powered when the external electric hook-up cable is attached to the mains supply, so it is not an option when driving.

.....saw the one with the 3 pin option too and thought it might be good to have to plug a fan into a night if using the other one at the end of the kitchen unit to charge laptop / camera.

A 240V fan, through an inverter, would drain the 12v battery before the night's out.
If on EHU and needing more than one 240v 3-pin output, buy a strip, even better, one with usb sockets, to charge all from the mains - e.g.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-SRGDU62PW-Z-Charging-Protected-Extension

12v is great but reason I was going to buy one of these inverters is that I still have not solved the toothbrush issue! And an inverter at £20 odd is a lot less than buying a new 30,000 whizzo whatever high spec Oral B with USB built in. I've just gone solar too so not too worried about the drain (mostly charged on the road anyway) and I plan to be hook-up free.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...rechargeable-toothbrush-recommendation.18976/

Always makes me scratch my head to read how much electrical stuff some carry....and the fact it seems some find the need to charge them all at the same time!
There are plenty 12v sockets and a two pin socket powerd while driving (on a SE/Ocean) use what you got ....when stationt whitout hook-up i try and charge nothing , when on a site using hook-up i plug them back in .
Just my 50 cent ....;)

Which does not help those with a) no inverter built in and b) who don't use hook up! ;)