Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Xbox one X inside the Cali

Wallace

Wallace

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi All

I finally got my Cali and am currently going through equipping it just the way I want it. However, since I am no car expert and slightly scared I would damage the whole thing, I wanted to validate the setup I wanna make so I can have my console running along a 21" Avtex TV while completely off grid and would love if some of you, more experience people, can give me some suggestions or just a thumbs up =).

I know that, as usual, a lot of people are going to question the decision of doing such a thing in a camper van and so and so but oh well... I want to =p.

Before getting to the setup, here are the equipment involved
  • Xbox One X - According to the specs, it can get to ~175W of power consumption.
  • Avtex L218DRS - If I'm reading it correctly, it should be ~25W.
The planned setup:
  • My initial idea was to first, to avoid draining the leisure battery in case I use it while sunny (which during summer where I leave can be as late as 10 PM), get a 200W solar panel kit from http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk/.
  • In order to supply the console with the required power, I believe I need an inverter. I thought this one should suffice: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TB68SV2/?tag=eliteelect-21
  • The inverter would then be connected to the leisure battery and work as the outlet where the xbox would be plugged in.
  • The TV would probably be connected to either the normal 230v euro-socket on the side of the car or the 12V outlet. Which if I'm not wrong, work from the leisure battery as well.
Assuming that the fridge will still be on, lights would eventually be turned on and off during the operation and there is a great chance of the heater also being required. How do you see this situation playing out? Would the battery be depleted in minutes? hours? Should I be fine for a while? Is there something I listed that makes no sense at all?

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thank you =).

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea, but might be worth calling Jason at Absolut 5

For how many hours and at what times of day would you anticipate to be gaming?

At least in theory, doesn't the Xbox take a 12v supply anyway? You might be better off figuring out how to not use the inverter, it'll be more efficient.

If you're off grid, the socket on the side of the kitchen won't work to power the tv...

If you're off grid, the socket on the side of the kitchen won't work to power the tv...
Well, I say that without knowing if the solar panels will allow that to be powered...

Well, I say that without knowing if the solar panels will allow that to be powered...
I think you will find @Wallace was referring to the “ Euro Mains Socket “ which is on the “B” pillar . This is the California Inverter Socket run from the Leisure Batteries and is limited to 150 watts output.

I think you will find @Wallace was referring to the “ Euro Mains Socket “ which is on the “B” pillar . This is the California Inverter Socket run from the Leisure Batteries and is limited to 150 watts output.

I forget the newer vans have a UK 3 pin on the side of the kitchen...

For how many hours and at what times of day would you anticipate to be gaming?
Good question. I believe a fair assumption would be 2 hours tops if it happens at night and 3 if during the day.

Ah yes, the 12V there is also only available when plugged in, right? That's ok, I guess both devices could then be hooked to the inverter (if the proposed solution works) and to the B pillar. Thanks for the reply.

Ah yes, the 12V there is also only available when plugged in, right? That's ok, I guess both devices could then be hooked to the inverter (if the proposed solution works) and to the B pillar. Thanks for the reply.
I'm not sure what you mean " 12v there is also only available when plugged in " .
The 12v supply is always available from the 12 V socket on the Kitchen unit upto a maximum of about 15+ amps. The vehicle Does NOT have to be plugged into the Mains as it runs off the Leisure Batteries as does the B Pillar Inverter socket.

I'm not sure what you mean " 12v there is also only available when plugged in " .
The 12v supply is always available from the 12 V socket on the Kitchen unit upto a maximum of about 15+ amps. The vehicle Does NOT have to be plugged into the Mains as it runs off the Leisure Batteries as does the B Pillar Inverter socket.
Hmmm. ok. So I guess I was correct on my original message and got confused while replying some messages. Good to know.

Hmmm. ok. So I guess I was correct on my original message and got confused while replying some messages. Good to know.
If there is a 12v adapter for the X Box then you could plug that into the kitchen 12v socket and the TV into the B Pillar Euro socket.

X Box = 175 w = Volts x Current
So using the 12 v supply you will be using 175/12 = 14.5 amps / hour so it will take about 5 hrs to run down the Leisure Batteries and that doesn't include the TV, Lights, Fridge or Parking Heater running.
So at night less than 3+ hrs usage, by day, if sunny, 5 + hrs.

ALL calculations approximate. I don't know what effect such a continuous power drain on the Leisure Batteries would have longterm.

That power consumption is kind of harsh unless the engine is running, which is why I have a Raspberry Pi based MAME emulator instead :)

Hi,

If you need to game while in the Cali, I would suggest getting a Nintendo Switch. It can be charged while gaming with a large USB-C akku pack that is able to charge tablets and Macbooks.

If you run the switch connected to the power bank, you will draw 1,92A + max brightness. (9W (4.68V + 1.92A))
Docked:15.7W (14.8V + 1.06A) + monitor.

The good thing about using an akku pack is, that you can charge it while driving. Of course you can connect the switch directly to 12v outlet in the Cali. With solar you should have no problems.

Hi,

If you need to game while in the Cali, I would suggest getting a Nintendo Switch. It can be charged while gaming with a large USB-C akku pack that is able to charge tablets and Macbooks.

If you run the switch connected to the power bank, you will draw 1,92A + max brightness. (9W (4.68V + 1.92A))
Docked:15.7W (14.8V + 1.06A) + monitor.

The good thing about using an akku pack is, that you can charge it while driving. Of course you can connect the switch directly to 12v outlet in the Cali. With solar you should have no problems.
Thanks for the reply. I have a switch and it is indeed way simpler to have it fully functional in the Cali. Unfortunately, it is also insufficient for all my gaming needs XD.

Fair enough. I guess a Generator is out of the question? It would solve all power problems off grid :)
Don't know...If the setup I listed works and the only problem is being limited to 3 hours of play, I would say my question is answered and I just need to assess how much I actually want to play and the impact of having the leisure battery going through this sort of cycle.

A generator would be too much hassle, I believe. If I get to this point I might as well invest in a power bank like a Yeti 400 (https://www.goalzero.com/shop/power-stations/yeti-400-lithium-portable-power-station/) or something similar and find a way to recharge it from the solar panels.

Serious ? Taking a gameconsol in the Cali....
....whats wrong with kids now a days they can't even be without gaming while camping ?

Are you going to have your gaming chair in the cali as well? ;)

Serious ? Taking a gameconsol in the Cali....
....whats wrong with kids now a days they can't even be without gaming while camping ?
I have a feeling we may not be talking about the Kids.;)

Back