Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Xbox one X inside the Cali

Serious ? Taking a gameconsol in the Cali....
....whats wrong with kids now a days they can't even be without gaming while camping ?
Each to their own... as some say.

I have a feeling we may not be talking about the Kids.;)

I had that feeling also but you know me Paul ...i like to trigger people:D

How long can you run your TV without hook up ?
I don't carry a TV in my Cali so can't answer that , sorry .
Guess until the battery gives up....:D

Finding it funny was not an answer.

If I was single I'd be loving having my PS4 in the Cali, would be great fun in the evenings.
Sounds like a lot of hassle though...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Good question. I believe a fair assumption would be 2 hours tops if it happens at night and 3 if during the day.
That’s not a big ask. Really depends on how much you want to spend and how many days you want your pleasure off grid?

That’s not a big ask. Really depends on how much you want to spend and how many days you want your pleasure off grid?

Do you think the setup I planned would work? Is there anything missing or irrelevant in your opinion just to make the system work for a few hours?

Getting the leisure battery back up seems to me to be a separate "issue" as it goes down to either turning the car on or waiting for the sun to do its thing.

"
The planned setup:
  • My initial idea was to first, to avoid draining the leisure battery in case I use it while sunny (which during summer where I leave can be as late as 10 PM), get a 200W solar panel kit from http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk/.
  • In order to supply the console with the required power, I believe I need an inverter. I thought this one should suffice: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TB68SV2/?tag=eliteelect-21
  • The inverter would then be connected to the leisure battery and work as the outlet where the xbox would be plugged in.
  • The TV would probably be connected to either the normal 230v euro-socket on the side of the car or the 12V outlet. Which if I'm not wrong, work from the leisure battery as well.
"

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m no expert but your plan seems sensible. Why don’t you consider wiring up a couple of extra leisure batteries in the bottom left kitchen cupboard? Obviously you lose the storage space but it would mean you are less likely to completely drain your batteries before topping up via solar or driving

I’m no expert but your plan seems sensible. Why don’t you consider wiring up a couple of extra leisure batteries in the bottom left kitchen cupboard? Obviously you lose the storage space but it would mean you are less likely to completely drain your batteries before topping up via solar or driving
That is an interesting suggestion. I will look into it. Thanks =)

Do you think the setup I planned would work? Is there anything missing or irrelevant in your opinion just to make the system work for a few hours?

Getting the leisure battery back up seems to me to be a separate "issue" as it goes down to either turning the car on or waiting for the sun to do its thing.

"
The planned setup:
  • My initial idea was to first, to avoid draining the leisure battery in case I use it while sunny (which during summer where I leave can be as late as 10 PM), get a 200W solar panel kit from http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk/.
  • In order to supply the console with the required power, I believe I need an inverter. I thought this one should suffice: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00TB68SV2...f_rd_i=wechselrichter&hsa_cr_id=9214689380002
  • The inverter would then be connected to the leisure battery and work as the outlet where the xbox would be plugged in.
  • The TV would probably be connected to either the normal 230v euro-socket on the side of the car or the 12V outlet. Which if I'm not wrong, work from the leisure battery as well.
"

Cheers
Yes that would work well for the odd few hours gaming. It's pretty much the same as what I have and I charge my electric mountain bike battery often daily off grid without any problem in summer with sun. That would be about 3 hours gaming equivalent. 200W solar might almost keep up the power you need in ideal conditions in the middle of the day but from mid afternoon you will use way more than the solar can produce. You'll soon find out what you can get away with and at what times of day it's best to play allowing enough power for the fridge and lights at night etc. 5 hours gaming should be possible in good conditions as my solar can produce that amount of power in one day.
Leisure batteries are consumable items, use them for your gaming pleasure. Mine have not had an easy life but are 5.5 years old and still going strong. I don't see the point in lugging all that lead around unless one uses it.
I would expect you could use any 200w+ inverter. Loads of stuff about running a console on an inverter on google: search. You could also permanently install / wire up the inverter somewhere like under the drivers (rhd) seat so no setting up.

If you want to extend the amount of play time 300w of solar fits nicely on the roof from ~£500 for some decent kit. For the ultimate gaming Cali you could alway go the whole hog and also replace the leisure batteries with Lithium-ion ones. Doing this would near double your battery capacity and allow for a way more flexible gaming experience and a lot less battery anxiety. The snag is they are around £800 each though (allegedly) have 4x+ longer life, can be run near totally flat without harm and £ per watt used better value than lead acid.

Hope that is of some help. Let us know how you get on.

Back