Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

"Clunking" suspension?

C

Catje

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Had the shocks replaced now too. Didn't hear the sound for the first 100km. This Friday out for a long weekend,,, so let's see what happens.

2020 freedom

2020 freedom

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I'm another casualty of 'twang and clunk' from drivers side front. Started after about 1400 miles and in the short space of time to 1550 it happening a fair bit.
Some of the twangs (which is the release of stored enegry somewhere, so either by thermal expansion/contraction or movement of a suspension part) can be felt through the pedals. They are always provoked by undulations in the road but not necessarily undulations that load up the shock absorbers very much. For example I can go over sleeping policemen with no noises. Then many more smaller sounding clunks. All it takes is cornering either way (loading or unloading the front offside wheel it feels and sounds like its this side).

Any updates from people who haven't had the Cali lowered?

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

goody goody 2shoes
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I'm another casualty of 'twang and clunk' from drivers side front. Started after about 1400 miles and in the short space of time to 1550 it happening a fair bit.
Some of the twangs (which is the release of stored enegry somewhere, so either by thermal expansion/contraction or movement of a suspension part) can be felt through the pedals. They are always provoked by undulations in the road but not necessarily undulations that load up the shock absorbers very much. For example I can go over sleeping policemen with no noises. Then many more smaller sounding clunks. All it takes is cornering either way (loading or unloading the front offside wheel it feels and sounds like its this side).

Any updates from people who haven't had the Cali lowered?
It sounds abnormal, so something that the dealer should sort out under warranty.

2020 freedom

2020 freedom

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Yes thats true and with my so so mechanical understanding (I do have a HNC in mechanical engineering and tinkered a fair bit in my youth) I think that the noise sounds more sinister than it is from an integrity point of view and bloody annoying hard to replicate. I just went out with my other half deliberately to replicate it and it happened twice straight away but nothing for the next 20 minutes... could be a long saga this.

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
any news ? mines doing the same. a knock every now and then, often at high speed when road dips a bit. but doesn't always do it. sometimes nothing for 20 minutes or so and then a knock. I can feel it through the floor. sounds like an anti roll bar or a worn bush or something. nut only 17k on the clock ?

2020 freedom

2020 freedom

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Well mine went away on its own?????:confused:

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I had a clonk coming from near side, bit like a marble in a Tupperware box! It seemed to be coming from somewhere behind the dash/footwell It gradually got worse and was particularly noticeable on rough roads. After lots of checking of loose trim etc found that it was the shock absorber bearing which was breaking up. That was at 20k miles.

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
2017 van here with the clunk.
Happens on full lock and turning when the vans weight loads from one side to the other. It comes and goes. Been to the dealer twice, they can’t find issue.
Learning to live with it

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
i think at least if the dealers looked at it before warranty runs out (which mine does soon ) then theres still some come back later if something then breaks

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I had this on my front right suspension. It is a known problem with the T5 (.1). The spring turns when turning the steering wheel. To make the spring turning on top there is a ball bearing. Mine was causing the noise. First at breaking and turning to the right. Then on every corner to the right at the end. I had to replace the ball bearing on top of the spring together with a new support and rubber.
From time to time the front left is starting the same noise.

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I had this on my front right suspension. It is a known problem with the T5 (.1). The spring turns when turning the steering wheel. To make the spring turning on top there is a ball bearing. Mine was causing the noise. First at breaking and turning to the right. Then on every corner to the right at the end. I had to replace the ball bearing on top of the spring together with a new support and rubber.
From time to time the front left is starting the same noise.
When mine was done the mechanic (ex VW) said that the replacement was the improved version as fitted to the T6. I had both sides done .... just in case!

Ciki62

Ciki62

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Seems to me like suspension spring and upper bearing. Very often on my T5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beachbum140

Beachbum140

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Anybody have the clunking sound from the rear? Most noticeable from the interior on the right in the panel below the window. Had all exterior shock mountings etc. checked at a tyre fitment center and all OK there. Is there any way to get inside that panel and if so what is lurking there?

B J G

B J G

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Shock absorbers can 'clunk' or give a 'knocking' noise that sounds like a loose attachment but is the actual unit.
Had it on a brand new pair once and thought that they weren't fitted correctly. No visual fault.

tuono001

tuono001

I recently had h&r arbs fitted and shortly after had a knocking noise and rattle to the offside front, when hitting pot holes. Once I had returned from a trip had it checked out. The bolts holding the arbs needed nipping up, no noises now.

HTML