Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

"Clunking" suspension?

Well mine went away on its own?????:confused:

I had a clonk coming from near side, bit like a marble in a Tupperware box! It seemed to be coming from somewhere behind the dash/footwell It gradually got worse and was particularly noticeable on rough roads. After lots of checking of loose trim etc found that it was the shock absorber bearing which was breaking up. That was at 20k miles.

2017 van here with the clunk.
Happens on full lock and turning when the vans weight loads from one side to the other. It comes and goes. Been to the dealer twice, they can’t find issue.
Learning to live with it

i think at least if the dealers looked at it before warranty runs out (which mine does soon ) then theres still some come back later if something then breaks

I had this on my front right suspension. It is a known problem with the T5 (.1). The spring turns when turning the steering wheel. To make the spring turning on top there is a ball bearing. Mine was causing the noise. First at breaking and turning to the right. Then on every corner to the right at the end. I had to replace the ball bearing on top of the spring together with a new support and rubber.
From time to time the front left is starting the same noise.

I had this on my front right suspension. It is a known problem with the T5 (.1). The spring turns when turning the steering wheel. To make the spring turning on top there is a ball bearing. Mine was causing the noise. First at breaking and turning to the right. Then on every corner to the right at the end. I had to replace the ball bearing on top of the spring together with a new support and rubber.
From time to time the front left is starting the same noise.
When mine was done the mechanic (ex VW) said that the replacement was the improved version as fitted to the T6. I had both sides done .... just in case!

Seems to me like suspension spring and upper bearing. Very often on my T5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody have the clunking sound from the rear? Most noticeable from the interior on the right in the panel below the window. Had all exterior shock mountings etc. checked at a tyre fitment center and all OK there. Is there any way to get inside that panel and if so what is lurking there?

Shock absorbers can 'clunk' or give a 'knocking' noise that sounds like a loose attachment but is the actual unit.
Had it on a brand new pair once and thought that they weren't fitted correctly. No visual fault.

I recently had h&r arbs fitted and shortly after had a knocking noise and rattle to the offside front, when hitting pot holes. Once I had returned from a trip had it checked out. The bolts holding the arbs needed nipping up, no noises now.

Anybody have the clunking sound from the rear? Most noticeable from the interior on the right in the panel below the window. Had all exterior shock mountings etc. checked at a tyre fitment center and all OK there. Is there any way to get inside that panel and if so what is lurking there?
After many months of searching and asking advice fro dealer and mechanics about this clunking noise (even replaced shocks) I came across a post in this forum about the noise coming from worn rubber hose on the roof mechanism. At the time i thought this was impossible and did not save the post or pay much attention, but went out, bought the hose and fitted it - walaa noise gone! Now i cannot find that thread and I want to send a heartfelt thanks to whoever posted that solution for ending many months of frustration. Thank you Thank you.

Another tip on noises is the constant rattle coming from the drawer under the rear bench seat. Yesterday I placed electrical tape over the catches that hold the drawer closed, and rattle gone! I realise this is a temporary solution as the electrical tape will wear quickly, but the objective was to find where the rattle was coming from, and now I know it is just the catches, not the whole drawer. If anyone has found a more permanent solution please let us know.

After many months of searching and asking advice fro dealer and mechanics about this clunking noise (even replaced shocks) I came across a post in this forum about the noise coming from worn rubber hose on the roof mechanism. At the time i thought this was impossible and did not save the post or pay much attention, but went out, bought the hose and fitted it - walaa noise gone! Now i cannot find that thread and I want to send a heartfelt thanks to whoever posted that solution for ending many months of frustration. Thank you Thank you.
Thank you for letting the Forum know. I think I remember that post. I believe it was by @hotel california about a section of hose on the roof mechanism that acted as a bumper.