Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coast 6.1 or Ocean 6.1

I have just ordered my Coast 6.1 and the programmable remote control parking heater is standard.
Interesting...looks like the Coast will be well received here in the UK. I know I'm tempted!

Interesting...looks like the Coast will be well received here in the UK. I know I'm tempted!
Yes it swung it for me anyway. As for options I took the comfort lighting mainly because my wife would not forgive me if it is as nice as some say. Also tyre press monitoring as I hate not knowing pressure then checking them at a garage; I have on my Tiguan which I regard it as an essential safety device for only £156. Tiguan also has digital cockpit sat nav etc but I always use app connect as it is superior. The LED lights on Tiguan are fantastic particularly on auto, they light up the entire road and verge (deer!) even when cars are coming towards you; however, I don't expect to do a lot of night driving in it so I could not justify it.

Isn’t it the case that the top model is actually what is right for you? Coast is right for some, Beach or Ocean for others.

The number of people staying in it, how much they can afford, where and what they do with the Cali all mean there is no right or wrong answer.

So to answer the OP’s question, the Coast certainly mixes it up a bit and in a good way. Less money for fewer bells and whistles means is a good thing but if you want LED and other stuff then the Ocean makes more sense.

I just hope that they continue to sell the Beach in the UK, as removing that option will be a real shame.
Well put :)
Incidentally if the Beach had not been available when we purchased we would not have bought the Ocean, it’s not the vehicle for us, we didn’t want a kitchen & definitely didn’t want a wardrobe.

I'm confused as to why VW are marketing two products (Ocean and Coast), when adding enough options to one turns it (virtually) into the other. Why not market one product and make all options available? I must be missing something.

I was talking to my dealer recently and he confirmed my thoughts. He said that VW has always seen the Ocean as the top model and the Beach as the entry level offering with the Coast wedged somewhere in between. In his view (and mine), this is wrong.

Most people know what they want from a California and buy accordingly. The number of seats available and how a customer intends use the vehicle will dictate which version suits them best. Cost is always an issue but when buying an expensive California that it isn't most peoples primary reason for choosing one version over another. In short the vast majority of customers don't walk into a VW showroom and pick a California Ocean or Beach on the basis of cost alone. They buy the version that suits their needs.

That's why VW's decision to axe the Beach (for the time being at least) and import the Coast instead makes very little sense. Will they sell as many Oceans and Coasts combined as they used to with Oceans and Beaches? Who knows. However, I doubt if the many owners of current Beaches will be rushing to replace them with a vehicle that doesn't suit their needs.

Having just purchased one of the last T6 Beaches it will have to be a "keeper" unless VW changes it's current policy.

Electric roof really puts me off the Ocean.

In 5 or 6 years I'd like my next van to be equivalent of a white Coast 'Edition' (with heater & LED lights).

Why? If the number of people posting on here with electric roof problems is a good indicator, there’s a 99.9% chance that the roof will have corroded away before the electric side of things fail.
If it wasn't so true, it'd be funny :)

If it wasn't so true, it'd be funny :)
I've read about numerous faults on here to do with the electro/hydraulic roof including:
1. Defective control panels.
2. Control panel knobs being accidentally being broken off.
3. Hydraulic oil leaks.
4. Hydraulic rams exploding.
5. Roofs not coming down.
6. Roofs sagging on one side.
7. Problems caused the unwary using a powered roof.
8. And the list goes on.

Most people may never experience any of these issues but they do illustrate the complexity. However if they do go wrong it will probably involve losing an arm and a leg to pay for repairs.

In contrast, I haven't seen many if any comments that refer to issues with the manual version.

Simpler the better for me - I'd like a new VW cheaper & more basic than the Beach; steel wheels & Transporter bumpers ideally. Electric roof just feels like an unnecessary complication & expense, but I'm not that worked up about it in the great scheme of things.

A 7speed dsg box controlled by electronics and an ecu isn’t simplicity though ?.just noting your avatar .
I’m definitely not saying there unreliable because they are reliable but one thing for sure is there definitely not simple
In for a penny in for a pound and buy the extended warranty .

I'd be more worried about the electronic display not to mention all the other electronic devices now 'demanded' by drivers.
Brakes are hydraulic, should we be going back to cable operated ones?

I'd be more worried about the electronic display not to mention all the other electronic devices now 'demanded' by drivers.
Brakes are hydraulic, should we be going back to cable operated ones?
Cable brakes! Nearly killed me on several occasions. 1954 oval window Beetle. Happy memories.

Cable brakes! Nearly killed me on several occasions. 1954 oval window Beetle. Happy memories.
First car 1939 Austin Big 7. Stop at top of a hill engage a low gear and set off down with a prayer or two. Certainly learned how to anticipate traffic light changes as lots of pre-planning required for stopping. Never rear ended anyone.

First car 1939 Austin Big 7. Stop at top of a hill engage a low gear and set off down with a prayer or two. Certainly learned how to anticipate traffic light changes as lots of pre-planning required for stopping. Never rear ended anyone.
I'm with you on the pre planning thing. I have several old cars that require a great deal of anticipation and pre planning when driven. With syncromesh gears, dsg, ACC, power steering, dual circuit servo assisted hydraulic disc brakes etc etc people don't appreciate how good the modern car has become. The downside is that I can fix the old ones but wouldn't have a clue with the new stuff. I do think modern cars are becoming un-nessessarily complicated though. A happy medium would be nice.

This is my 1912 Austin 10/12:
20190626_171756.jpg
Rear cable brakes only. It does have a transmission brake but that's useless. The steering is approximate at best and it requires a lot of concentration to drive well and stop before the accident.

I'm with you on the pre planning thing. I have several old cars that require a great deal of anticipation and pre planning when driven. With syncromesh gears, dsg, ACC, power steering, dual circuit servo assisted hydraulic disc brakes etc etc people don't appreciate how good the modern car has become. The downside is that I can fix the old ones but wouldn't have a clue with the new stuff. I do think modern cars are becoming un-nessessarily complicated though. A happy medium would be nice.

This is my 1912 Austin 10/12:
View attachment 52632
Rear cable brakes only. It does have a transmission brake but that's useless. The steering is approximate at best and it requires a lot of concentration to drive well and stop before the accident.
But it looks so cool borris:)

Right I have done the spreadsheet work and played spot the difference!

So if you are considering the Coast this is what you have to live without (or spec up in the option list):

16" Wheels instead of 17"
4 Seats Versus 5 Seats (not sure if this is correct)
Brushed grey inserts not "decorative"
Composition Colour Stereo
Heated rear window (as not double glazed)
Manual roof (not hydraulic)
No comfort lighting
No floor mats
No fog lights (front)
No head unit coding (security)
No Heated seats
No Lane Assist
No Navigation
No park assist
No power latching sliding door
No rear view camera
No voice control
Normal Air Con not 3 Zone
Normal air filter
Normal Dashboard with Colour MFF (Not full digital)
Normal glazing (not double)
Normal Headlights (not LED)
Oak Cupboards not grey
Sliding window on passenger side only
Wired App Connect (not wireless)

Not much there that I couldn't live without:
  • No fog lights feels a bit tight
  • Some people will not like the "normal headlights" but I don't really mind
  • I actually prefer not having VW Nav - App connect will allow Google Maps
  • 16" wheels are fine by me - cheaper tyres and squidgy
  • Double glazing might be worth speccing up - I have only ever had an SE with double glazing so don't know the heat/noise downsides of not having it.
I have the spreadsheet data if anyone wants it, but it is too long to post here!

Quite a good comparative summary.

For me as a late T6 Ocean owner who recently sold, I am tempted by the Coast with a few extras which currently would come in at just over 52k with discount.

For me as a late T6 Ocean owner who recently sold, I am tempted by the Coast with a few extras which currently would come in at just over 52k with discount.

What extras would you be tempted by?

What extras would you be tempted by?
Now there's a question but in relation to a Cali I specked a Coast & an Ocean on Drive The Deal this week.

Cherry Red Coast. 17 inch Davenports. Fog Lights. Tow Bar. Heated Seats. Privacy Glass. Comfort Mattress. Opening Front Bellows. £52675 OTR.

T6.1, 150 Cherry Red Ocean with Comfort Mattress & Tow Bar £58150 OTR.

The rest of the kit on the Ocean I could live without, yes the hydraulic roof is good to have but some can be problematic and expensive as they get older as Borris said on another thread. That aside I pulled up on a site near a Cali Beach in the early summer and his manual roof was far quicker but I don't know how long unlatching took.