Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coast or Ocean

Karlos

Karlos

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi All

Not going down the Beach v Ocean route and not trying to stir anything between Coast & Ocean owners.

After selling my Ocean I have been wondering for a while, now that the 6.1 has been available in the UK for nearly a year why did you choose either the Coast or Ocean and what extras did you add and what do you wish you had added.

Was the manual or hydraulic roof mechanism on your vehicle a deciding factor and did price play a part. If the colour range of the 2 tones had been greater would you have gone that route rather than a single colour.:thanks

Thanks K.

Last edited:
Hi All

Not going down the Beach v Ocean route and not trying to stir anything between Coast & Ocean owners.

After selling my Ocean I have been wondering for a while now that the 6.1 has been available in the UK for a nearly a year why did you choose either the Coast or Ocean and what extras did you add and what do you wish you had added.

Was the manual or hydraulic roof mechanism on your vehicle a deciding factor and did price play a part. If the colour range of the 2 tones had been greater would you have gone that route rather than a single colour.:thanks

Thanks K.
Went through a long exercise, in the end I went for an Ocean, the roof wasn’t really a factor but LED headlights, Discovery Pro, 3 Zone climatic were. I was also able to get a decent discount with the Ocean which but it within my planned monthly budget So it was affordable. Two tone and alloys don’t rock my boat Neither does 4wd don’t intend going off road or in the snow.

I was also mindful of the residual value of the Ocean, the Coast is an unknown at the moment bit I would expect the Coast to hold its value And depreciate relative To an Ocean.

Does the UK model Coast have the aux heater? Over here it doesn't and once I'd added that and the LED headlights we might as well have just paid the extra for the higher spec model. The electric roof really wasn't a big issue for us and in Switzerland they all come with 16" steel wheels as standard so other than some extra chrome there's little to visually distinguish between the two.

I think VW UK have made a bigger gap between the models by making a lot of the optional stuff standard on the Ocean so the price difference is a bit more. Here with a 'like for like' engine there's only just under £3k between the two, but the Coast does get an 'entry level' lower power engine below the 150ps version, with a 5 speed rather than 6 speed gearbox which brings the entry price down to about £40k.

The ocean is just really the same van with all the options bundled in for an extra discount. I was price conscious so the extra 8k or so was too much of a stretch for me.
I’m happy with a Coast. It has the night heater and a manual roof (which I prefer) so is basically the same van without the bells and whistles. The only Coast option I though essential was the 3 way air con to keep kids cool in the back. It all in still only a tad over 50k with discount.
My feeling is that the Coast could impact residuals for the Ocean in the long run because buyers not have the ‘full fat’ option without having to go for the top model.

The Coast would be an interesting option if it had more options as standard.
It’s winning point is the manual roof.

I’ve come to the conclusion. You would be better off with an Ocean and convert the original electric roof to manual once it fails.
I’m sure you would still be quids in too...

The Coast would be an interesting option if it had more options as standard.
It’s winning point is the manual roof.

I’ve come to the conclusion. You would be better off with an Ocean and convert the original electric roof to manual once it fails.
I’m sure you would still be quids in too...
The interesting thing about the ‘manual’ roof is that it is semi-automatic (). Once you unclip it, it rises on its own. So the automatic option really means you just don’t have any clipping / unclipping. It’s as over engineered as the electric sliding doors on the toilets of virgin trains that keep breaking.

The interesting thing about the ‘manual’ roof is that it is semi-automatic (). Once you unclip it, it rises on its own. So the automatic option really means you just don’t have any clipping / unclipping. It’s as over engineered as the electric sliding doors on the toilets of virgin trains that keep breaking.
Maybe that’s why Virgin Trains don’t exist anymore ;):)

If you choose to have a Cali with a manual roof make sure that the weakest and shortest person among your travel companions can close it. My wife had great problems with the roof in our Beach, which was one of our reasons to replace it with a Coast (which in France has an electric roof). Don't assume that the big strong boy among you is always available to close the roof. Anyone can break a wrist!

Does the UK model Coast have the aux heater? Over here it doesn't and once I'd added that and the LED headlights we might as well have just paid the extra for the higher spec model. The electric roof really wasn't a big issue for us and in Switzerland they all come with 16" steel wheels as standard so other than some extra chrome there's little to visually distinguish between the two.

I think VW UK have made a bigger gap between the models by making a lot of the optional stuff standard on the Ocean so the price difference is a bit more. Here with a 'like for like' engine there's only just under £3k between the two, but the Coast does get an 'entry level' lower power engine below the 150ps version, with a 5 speed rather than 6 speed gearbox which brings the entry price down to about £40k.
Yep the UK Coast has the parking heater as standard, both UK basic specs are quite high. I have uploaded the latest brochure to the files you can compare the Swiss v Brit specs.

The ocean is just really the same van with all the options bundled in for an extra discount. I was price conscious so the extra 8k or so was too much of a stretch for me.
I’m happy with a Coast. It has the night heater and a manual roof (which I prefer) so is basically the same van without the bells and whistles. The only Coast option I though essential was the 3 way air con to keep kids cool in the back. It all in still only a tad over 50k with discount.
My feeling is that the Coast could impact residuals for the Ocean in the long run because buyers not have the ‘full fat’ option without having to go for the top model.
Hi Toeknee

Have you ordered a Coast or still thinking about it. I think if I were to order a Coast I would want to add comfort mattress, larger wheels, privacy glass, opening front Bellows, front fogs and tow bar and let the dealer fit lowering springs before collection.

Cheers
K

Hi Toeknee

Have you ordered a Coast or still thinking about it. I think if I were to order a Coast I would want to add comfort mattress, larger wheels, privacy glass, opening front Bellows, front fogs and tow bar and let the dealer fit lowering springs before collection.

Cheers
K
Yes. I ordered coast with climatronic aircon, privacy glass, bellows, mattress and reversing camera. Due for delivery in late oct; further lockdowns notwithstanding. I got a white one with a view to doing a two tone wrap but partly wish I’d gone for fortana red instead.

Yes. I ordered coast with climatronic aircon, privacy glass, bellows, mattress and reversing camera. Due for delivery in late oct; further lockdowns notwithstanding. I got a white one with a view to doing a two tone wrap but partly wish I’d gone for fortana red instead.
Yes if I was going in for another, I think I might go for Red this time and 17 inch wheels, hopefully now Merseyside is on a watch list people might take a bit more care but I doubt it.

Did you buy from Liverpool?

I personally think the manual roof is preferable to an electric one. I had an electric one on my 2010 SE and thought it was OK but the simplicity of manual imo makes it better. My SE also had the electric sliding door which was also a complete pain in the bottom. Anyway I have just ordered a Coast with comfort mattress, opening front bellows, reverse camera and privacy glass. As a camper I don’t believe it is any different to an Ocean. The Ocean is undoubtedly better if you have the 199 or is it 205 PS engine with 4 motion. But as for a bit of bling and a few driver aids and a fancy stereo I can’t really see the point.

Well I chose a LHD Coast for several reasons. Primarily cost and because the Ocean had options that offered no added value in my eyes, and the brighter interior wood effect is preferable too. The manual roof was a huge plus too. Luckily many of the desirable options like LED ext and int lights, shower, privacy glass and the Pure Grey colour were big selling points. Parking heater isn't included on a Euro spec Coast so I added that, towbar, wood effect floor, canvas bellows, 199 engine, DSG and 4motion. Total price was less than 50 grand before tax.

the panoramic opening in the roof really appeals to me. On the Coast, I know it’s not standard in the UK, but is it the bellows option? It’s not that clear from the items I’ve read so far.

the panoramic opening in the roof really appeals to me. On the Coast, I know it’s not standard in the UK, but is it the bellows option? It’s not that clear from the items I’ve read so far.
It's the panorama roof bellows option, yes...

I personally think the manual roof is preferable to an electric one. I had an electric one on my 2010 SE and thought it was OK but the simplicity of manual imo makes it better. My SE also had the electric sliding door which was also a complete pain in the bottom. Anyway I have just ordered a Coast with comfort mattress, opening front bellows, reverse camera and privacy glass. As a camper I don’t believe it is any different to an Ocean. The Ocean is undoubtedly better if you have the 199 or is it 205 PS engine with 4 motion. But as for a bit of bling and a few driver aids and a fancy stereo I can’t really see the point.
I ordered coast with exactly same pec as you and I use every feature you listed. They are the essentials and I don’t believe you need anything else. I also added park assist which I used once. Waste of 300 pounds.

How easy is it to put a topper on manual roof? Will it hold its position say 12 inches open? The reason I ask is that being fairly short, being able to partially open the roof and hold it there electronically whilst my wife and I put topper on before fully raising is very helpful. Can this be done with manual roof?

How easy is it to put a topper on manual roof? Will it hold its position say 12 inches open? The reason I ask is that being fairly short, being able to partially open the roof and hold it there electronically whilst my wife and I put topper on before fully raising is very helpful. Can this be done with manual roof?
Buy a cover which just wraps around the bellows (not over the roof), eg a Pucer cover, and it will resolve this challenge

Maybe you will find the answer to this question on a different thread

Beware that in a Cali with a mechanical poptop (as opposed to the hydraulic roof), there's about 0,5 CM less height room for a mattress. So with a thicker mattress the roof will not close tidy. Als the lenght of the mattress should be aprox. 168 CM in stead of 170 CM, same problem: the roof will not close completely.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

I ordered coast with exactly same pec as you and I use every feature you listed. They are the essentials and I don’t believe you need anything else. I also added park assist which I used once. Waste of 300 pounds.
It's all a matter of opinion, I would not call the comfort mat or reverse camera essentials. Agree on the panorama bellows, but would call at least the towbar prep an essential also...

Imo, the coast will have better residuals. A used ocean will have to compete with new discounted coast. With T7 around the corner, a vacine which will cool down the camper market, the coast will be discounted a bit more too.

Second, used buyers are wary of expensive repair. If you buy a van from 2 years old to 6-7, you will want to avoid the electric roof, the digital dashboard, the sat navigation and potentially the led headlight.

Back