Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coast...

Wow I am amazed reading different threads how many vans VW are shifting at over 50k on the brink of a world recession or am I just a miserable tight fisted curmudgeon. :shocked
You could be a MTFC or maybe this pandemic is making people realise how fragile life is and to enjoy it now as sadly no ones future is guaranteed

You could be a MTFC or maybe this pandemic is making people realise how fragile life is and to enjoy it now as sadly no ones future is guaranteed
Wow I am amazed reading different threads how many vans VW are shifting at over 50k on the brink of a world recession or am I just a miserable tight fisted curmudgeon. :shocked
Yep , these vans are indeed a huge chuck of £££, in our case we have recently sold our house and moved to a much cheaper location, and a smaller house, the van will be our spare bedroom, on wheels, leaving ££ in the bank is pointless to me,

I personally think the Ocean is too expensive as standard against the Coast...when you get the coast and spec everything the Ocean has, its about the same price, which begs the question as to why VW have done this....youd think they'd be tempting people to opt for the Coast by making it better value for money. Maybe just £3k more than the Coast so people just opt for the Ocean once they've priced up a few extras on the Coast.

I think this too Karlos - for me all this has coincided with an impending business closure & absolutely nothing to do with Covid at all, that & the realization of do it now before its too late - having been bought up & strictly lived with the the ethos of saving, planning, working, Im now ready to throw caution to the wind in my new Cali Coast - hopefully :happy

I personally think the Ocean is too expensive as standard against the Coast...when you get the coast and spec everything the Ocean has, its about the same price, which begs the question as to why VW have done this....youd think they'd be tempting people to opt for the Coast by making it better value for money. Maybe just £3k more than the Coast so people just opt for the Ocean once they've priced up a few extras on the Coast.
I have questioned the rationale behind the Coast v Ocean too but I guess it comes down to consumer choice - I didnt want the electric gadgets but more camping comfort, so the options Ive chosen on my Coast I would have chosen on an Ocean meaning it would still be a big price difference. I have wondered if the Coast will be withdrawn from the UK market ?!

Hello
I personally disagree: The possibility to buy a new california without certain things that I don't want and the price difference with an ocean do it for me. Twist and turn the issue as much as you want: a coast has its clear reason for existence and is cheaper at the end of the ride. Enough people don't want an electro-hydraulic roof or LED lighting or overprised stuff. And even on the ocean there are still options to take.
In fact, if the coast didn't exist, I wouldn't buy a california. Volkswagen has certainly done well to offer this. We want the cupboards and kitchen so no beach for me but also no ocean but each his own choise. That makes it so great: you have a choise: We can spec a california as we want -based on our experiences with a T4 westfalia and what we want and don't consider necessary- and keep the price within our budget.
We have saved a lot, sell my opel grandland and thanks to the long waiting time, we can save even more. He will be paid, recession or not. We do not like to loan for a car, but here too: everyone has his choice.
Now, for the price difference: a list of what we ordered:
a california coast, free colour ascot grey
extras:
150 hp and dsg;
auxiliary heater, radio with GPS, rear view camera and sensors, electrically folding mirrors, light & vision plus package, sliding door closing aid, cruise control, large opening at the front of the fabric, comfort mattress, sliding window in sliding door, sound-insulating glass with tinted windows, 17 inch steel rims and larger brakes at the front, telephone induction charging function, 5th seat, bicycle rack and some small things (like a larger fuel tank, spare wheel and others).
As said: we chose the options based on experience and wishes from the past 8 years of traveling and making trips with our T4 westfalia: what do we have and want to keep, what do we not have and do we want, what do we not have and do not need (electro-hydraulic roof).
The price difference:
We ordered our coast at the end of August and more than 8,000 euros difference between the coast as above and an ocean (with some options to spec it as our coast), both with the same discount. (situation end of August and in Belgium). For me that's a lot of money.
So, choose which one meets your wishes and follow your own thoughts.

Greetings

I specced a Coast lately, with all the options I have on my SE.
I was way over the price I paid 11 years ago (Everything has gone up in price, I know), but I had a manual roof, no colour coded mirror caps or handles, no mud flaps, no tow bar, ...
If you want a Coast with all the options for a standard Ocean, you pay more than the price of an Ocean.

Hello
I personally disagree: The possibility to buy a new california without certain things that I don't want and the price difference with an ocean do it for me. Twist and turn the issue as much as you want: a coast has its clear reason for existence and is cheaper at the end of the ride. Enough people don't want an electro-hydraulic roof or LED lighting or overprised stuff. And even on the ocean there are still options to take.
In fact, if the coast didn't exist, I wouldn't buy a california. Volkswagen has certainly done well to offer this. We want the cupboards and kitchen so no beach for me but also no ocean but each his own choise. That makes it so great: you have a choise: We can spec a california as we want -based on our experiences with a T4 westfalia and what we want and don't consider necessary- and keep the price within our budget.
We have saved a lot, sell my opel grandland and thanks to the long waiting time, we can save even more. He will be paid, recession or not. We do not like to loan for a car, but here too: everyone has his choice.
Now, for the price difference: a list of what we ordered:
a california coast, free colour ascot grey
extras:
150 hp and dsg;
auxiliary heater, radio with GPS, rear view camera and sensors, electrically folding mirrors, light & vision plus package, sliding door closing aid, cruise control, large opening at the front of the fabric, comfort mattress, sliding window in sliding door, sound-insulating glass with tinted windows, 17 inch steel rims and larger brakes at the front, telephone induction charging function, 5th seat, bicycle rack and some small things (like a larger fuel tank, spare wheel and others).
As said: we chose the options based on experience and wishes from the past 8 years of traveling and making trips with our T4 westfalia: what do we have and want to keep, what do we not have and do we want, what do we not have and do not need (electro-hydraulic roof).
The price difference:
We ordered our coast at the end of August and more than 8,000 euros difference between the coast as above and an ocean (with some options to spec it as our coast), both with the same discount. (situation end of August and in Belgium). For me that's a lot of money.
So, choose which one meets your wishes and follow your own thoughts.

Greetings

I actually agree..and its the point of my post. I'm actually all for the basic Coast with the panoramic roof, so basically a £50k vehicle....I see nothing to warrant another £7k being spent to get an Ocean? An electric rood? = potential for going wrong. Better headlights? Bigger fuel tank?bigger alloys? Double glazed rear window? Heated seats?....these aren't really necessities and to me (but granted everyone is different) not worth the extra £7k you pay to get these when getting Ocean.

The Ocean needed to be just £4k more expensive than the Coast..that way you're getting the extras for a cheaper price. Basically worded...for £7k more (Coast to Ocean) you're getting £7k worth of extra gear? So wheres the value?

I had to look up curmudgeon and had to laugh, is that you? ;) Maybe there are more orders in the UK and this could has to do with Brexit and the fear of import duties but I guess each has its own reason for buying a new one; We because my spouse wants to drive more with the campervan and we currently have an almost 30 year old T4 westfalia without air conditioning and with 78 hp. Servo, that's the only option, oh yes, and a rev counter. For us it is a major upgrade, we have been saving for a long time and now have a goal for our savings. We do not take into account recession or whatever just our wishes and possibilities.
Greetings

For us, and a few people we know buying them now (when previously they've never have dreamt of buying a camper) its because of covid...the fact for the foreseable future holidays abroad are off limits, the worry of catching a virus in a hotel is playing on our minds and the fact the residuals are so high makes buying one a no brainer. You won't lose much and you can tour round and be safe from covid in your own bubble.

I actually agree..and its the point of my post. I'm actually all for the basic Coast with the panoramic roof, so basically a £50k vehicle....I see nothing to warrant another £7k being spent to get an Ocean? An electric rood? = potential for going wrong. Better headlights? Bigger fuel tank?bigger alloys? Double glazed rear window? Heated seats?....these aren't really necessities and to me (but granted everyone is different) not worth the extra £7k you pay to get these when getting Ocean.

The Ocean needed to be just £4k more expensive than the Coast..that way you're getting the extras for a cheaper price. Basically worded...for £7k more (Coast to Ocean) you're getting £7k worth of extra gear? So wheres the value?
I agree with a lot: I also find the price difference unjustifiable. Each his own choise, of course.
Just to clarify: We did not order larger aluminum rims but 17 inch steel rims: we had to take these because we have larger brakes because it is a 5-seater with us (we wanted this because we will be in the california with 5 regularly, it will also be my daily vehicle, the current opel grandland is leaving). So the rims (and larger brakes) are the result of our 5-seater option.
Larger fuel tank: we have been told and read -correct me if I'm wrong- that with the latest generation (perhaps also the T6 but this I do not know) the auxiliary heating does not want to start if there is no certain percentage of diesel present, hence the option 80 liter tank to be sure of sufficient fuel (option of .... 76 euros).
Here, double glazing is reserved for the ocean and we actually wanted this: it certainly has its use (based on our experiences and contacts with campervans without double glazing), but we opted for the next best thing: heat-resistant glass.
We don't want the electro-hydraulic roof: manual works perfectly and no risk of problems during a journey.
The LED lighting: way too expensive, we ordered fog lights for when we end up on a dark road in Wales, Scotland or France ;)

I agree with a lot: I also find the price difference unjustifiable. Each his own choise, of course.
Just to clarify: We did not order larger aluminum rims but 17 inch steel rims: we had to take these because we have larger brakes because it is a 5-seater with us (we wanted this because we will be in the california with 5 regularly, it will also be my daily vehicle, the current opel grandland is leaving). So the rims (and larger brakes) are the result of our 5-seater option.
Larger fuel tank: we have been told and read -correct me if I'm wrong- that with the latest generation (perhaps also the T6 but this I do not know) the auxiliary heating does not want to start if there is no certain percentage of diesel present, hence the option 80 liter tank to be sure of sufficient fuel (option of .... 76 euros).
Here, double glazing is reserved for the ocean and we actually wanted this: it certainly has its use (based on our experiences and contacts with campervans without double glazing), but we opted for the next best thing: heat-resistant glass.
We don't want the electro-hydraulic roof: manual works perfectly and no risk of problems during a journey.
The LED lighting: way too expensive, we ordered fog lights for when we end up on a dark road in Wales, Scotland or France ;)

If you have to pay extra for a bigger tank for the auxiliary heater to work then VW will have to do a massive recall as this should not be happening on a £50k vehicle. This cannot be right.

I specced a Coast lately, with all the options I have on my SE.
I was way over the price I paid 11 years ago (Everything has gone up in price, I know), but I had a manual roof, no colour coded mirror caps or handles, no mud flaps, no tow bar, ...
If you want a Coast with all the options for a standard Ocean, you pay more than the price of an Ocean.
The coast is not meant for that either: its raison d'être is not to become an ocean ...
If you want what is standard on an ocean, you buy an ocean, no need to fill a coast with options until it is an ocean. Sounds logical to me but each his own ideas about this.

If you have to pay extra for a bigger tank for the auxiliary heater to work then VW will have to do a massive recall as this should not be happening on a £50k vehicle. This cannot be right.
Oh well then, let them do a recall ... That's not the point, it's not that your auxiliary heating will never work, but not if you have too little fuel.
76 euro option ... for more security (and not for that it would work at all).
Have fun choosing options.

You don't.
But you run out of heating 10 liters earlier.

The coast is not meant for that either: its raison d'être is not to become an ocean ...
If you want what is standard on an ocean, you buy an ocean, no need to fill a coast with options until it is an ocean. Sounds logical to me but each his own ideas about this.
If I want an Ocean, but I don't want the hydraulic roof, I have to specc a Coast with Ocean options, for not having the hydraulic roof. That is the point.
And even then, you can't specc it up completely to the point of an Ocean. There will be options not available in the Coast.

But if you take a Coast and have some options (comfort related), you are entering the Ocean price. And the Ocean will have some standards that your specced up Coast still doesn't have, for the same amount of money.

But if you take a Coast and have some options (comfort related), you are entering the Ocean price.
not at all, but I am not going to quote my example again here; if you're interested and want to take the time reading it, scroll back and read what I already wrote (#58) and see what my idea about the coast is and of course the price difference there is.
But as I already said: each his choise and idea about it.
May I add that I find it strange that the people who prefer a coast are told over and over how much it is of price like an ocean when they take options and they better should choose an ocean. Again: each his own choise...
I can be brief about the electro-hydraulic roof: a manual is so much cheaper and more secure, so the choice for a coast was quickly made.
The coast has its rights to exist: For those who do not want an electro-hydraulic roof but still want the cupboards and kitchen, there is finally the possibility.
The options non available in a coast are no problem for me but if someone misses them: buy an ocean, that simple and hope you'll never have problems with the roof (not everyone has problems).
Greetings and enjoy your T5!

Last edited:
You don't.

I think you now know about the extra 10 liters of fuel? If you have any questions or if something is unclear, feel free to ask, there is no shame in asking.
Greetings

For us, and a few people we know buying them now (when previously they've never have dreamt of buying a camper) its because of covid...the fact for the foreseable future holidays abroad are off limits, the worry of catching a virus in a hotel is playing on our minds and the fact the residuals are so high makes buying one a no brainer. You won't lose much and you can tour round and be safe from covid in your own bubble.
yes and no, yes you can tour round but if you want to isolate in your own bubble, you will need to have either a toilet tent or use a porta potti inside the van and yes they do hold their value but my worry is that when people can fly without restrictions lots of campervans, MH and caravans will be up for sale and crash the market.

In my mind, the Coast is essentially an updated T5 with a manual roof. The Ocean is now a fully specced up camper, but we wouldn't spec up half the options so the nearly £9k price difference (after discount) swung it for us. Now, if we had the cash, I'd love an Ocean, but to me VW are just charging for options I don't want. I feel the Coast is actually the old SE and the Ocean is a different model now.

Not dissing anyone's choices. I'm just pleased to have the Coast option as it's meant we can order now and not save for another year.

Now, to add fuel to the fire, if we could have bought a second hand (2012-2016) van at the prices of a year or so ago, we'd likely have done that instead to save money.

Someone on here the other day described the 6.1 Ocean as an Ocean with a full options pack added. I like that description. So, comparably, a Coast is almost a T5/6 Ocean minus the electric roof.

I’ve gone for
Ascot Grey
LED headlights as the last car I had with Halogen bulbs (2019 Mini) was terrible
SatNav
Panoramic pop top
Rear v cam
Traffic sign recognition
17” Davenports
No privacy glass, it’s not dark enough. £225 for a full limo tint locally.
can’t wait!
Congratulations, nice colour ;)