Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coil Springs Failing

Have wanted to try these Koni shocks. Do you have these fitted to your Cali? If so do you have to remove them to adjust the rebound or can it be done fitted?
Ones that I had decades ago required removing to adjust but I think that if you undid the bottom, wheel end, you should be able to adjust that way.
This youtube explains what is done.

Ones that I had decades ago required removing to adjust but I think that if you undid the bottom, wheel end, you should be able to adjust that way.
This youtube explains what is done.

Thanks. I'm sure with the bottom bolt removed from the hub it could be adjusted in situ. A bit too much faffing every time I want to load up / go off road though. Shame.

Guess the ultimate for you would be the DCC rear dampers with a three position rotary switch with direct control. No idea of possibility of that being done or how they are wired/controlled.

Koni are excellent units plus you can adjust them if you want to set your personal stiffness/softness of damping. Fit yourself or any garage or DIY friend can.
Note sold singly so you need 2 for a set. There are other suppliers.

https://www.larkspeed.com/shopper/i...-4Motion-Koni-Heavy-Track-Rear-Shock-Absorber
Koni are excellent units plus you can adjust them if you want to set your personal stiffness/softness of damping. Fit yourself or any garage or DIY friend can.
Note sold singly so you need 2 for a set. There are other suppliers.

https://www.larkspeed.com/shopper/i...-4Motion-Koni-Heavy-Track-Rear-Shock-Absorber
In the first instance I have asked the VW dealer to fit uprated shockers when they change the springs, which they are doing as part of the MOT. I'll post the result ie: which shockers and how much.

In the first instance I have asked the VW dealer to fit uprated shockers when they change the springs, which they are doing as part of the MOT. I'll post the result ie: which shockers and how much.
Otherwise, I'll go for the Konis

Can you not find out in advance of fitting exactly what shocks they plan to fit? From experience the right choice of rear shocks has the single greatest effect on the ride, comfort and handling of all the components front or rear. Be such a shame and a wasted expense / opportunity if their choice is lame.

Can you not find out in advance of fitting exactly what shocks they plan to fit? From experience the right choice of rear shocks has the single greatest effect on the ride, comfort and handling of all the components front or rear. Be such a shame and a wasted expense / opportunity if their choice is lame.
First I got this response from the dealer: "I have spoken to my colleague who advised that getting heavy duty shock absorbers is not something that we supply, however you would be more than welcome to supply the parts and we will fit them for you." and this:
"The springs on your vehicle just now are T28 springs and weight rated 3 - the T32 springs are 5. VW T32 springs - £430
Parts also priced a set of Lesjofors springs which are very durable and highly recommended, these are £430 inc VAT as well.
Orices incl. labour and VAT."
Then I got this: "I have just spoken with my manager who has advised me we will not be able to fit the T32 springs or the Lesjofor springs as they are not the specification for your vehicle, therefore the only springs we would be able to fit/recommend to you is the Standard springs for the T28 California at £439 inc VAT. I do apologise for the inconvenience."

So that leaves me replacing the rear springs like for like with T28s and perhaps buying the Konis you recommended and getting them to fit them at the same time. Does that sound sensible?

Sorry. I think BJG recommended the Konis

Given your spring breakage history I personally wouldn't go with replacing with T28 standard ones.

Better to go for uprated ones, simple match set at an affordable price can be had from Pedders, who you could talk to for specific recommendations. Many on this Forum have used them and seem to be more than happy.

I did expect you to have problems with VW Dealer as they are bound by the franchise contract as to fitting non VW parts.

https://www.pedders.co.uk/pedders-s...transporter-rear-suspension-kit_p22541206.htm

You could try on this site for an independent repairer.

https://www.clickmechanic.com/locations/aberdeen/van

It comes as no surprise VW will only do as computer says. As new T32 springs ( 3 or 4 grey stripes ) are for sale everywhere as often removed from new vans that are getting lowered. I picked up a delivery mileage pair for £10 from local converters. These will raise the rear ~20+ mm, noticeably reduce roll and will handle full loads far more comfortably. From experience just fitting HD shocks (Pedders in my case) with STD T28 springs is a huge improvement and will increase life of springs as they and weight of van correctly controlled. I have Pedders springs as well as their shocks fitted now but do not recommend as raises rear too much for most people (57mm in my case) and makes van very nose down and not level on level ground. I raised front 30mm also to level out van but wanted a higher more off road camper anyway.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/higher-suspension-worth-it.12568/page-3#post-301032

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/pedders-suspension.10117/page-8#post-248360

Last edited:
Would love to know how you find the Koni’s. I’d be prepared to have them off a few times to get the damping right though. I found need long handled torque wrench as the lower shock bolts are very tight!

VB replaced my rear dampers with Koni ones and it transformed the ride. Never found the need to experiment with trying to adjust the settings, or if the ones fitted could be adjusted.

When I had them on a car one turn of the adjustment went from firm to jarringly hard. You get a pretty good idea of the damping if you hold the bottom with your feet and pull and push the top by hand.

As I used Spax with the external adjustment in preference to the Koni tedious method on my later cars I did a bit of hunting for an easier adjustable set and found these Gaz ones with the screwdriver external adjustment. Easy to setup as all you need is a known bumpy road to drive on to find your preferred setting.

https://www.tamarwheels.co.uk/shop/gaz-short-shocks-for-vw-t5-t6-rear-only/

Note that is the short ones are for lowered springs but Gaz do a standard set as well.

Transporter T5 T28/30 GHA510 - £755.21 - - Transporter T5 T28/30 X-LOW KIT GHA510XL - £755.21

Many thanks for all the helpful comments. In the final analysis, I have decided it's going back to the VW dealer to fit T28 springs again. I may get them to change out the standard shockers as they have done 60,000 miles. Actually I made a mistake, I thought this was my 3rd set of replacement springs, actually they had changes out one rear spring then later the other. So it is my second set. Now they apparently only change as a pair.

The reason I have shied away from 3rd party supplied uprated springs and shockers is that I don't want to have to fiddle about with adjustments but more importantly, I really don't want an unlevel van. At present, she sits absolutely level. Even a little tail-high would really irritate me.

I thought the Cali was built on a T30 platform so why T28 springs?
Good question. I don't know! The dealer said, and I quote from their email "the only springs we would be able to fit/recommend to you is the Standard springs for the T28 California". Until the other day I had never heard of T28, T30 or T32. Has the dealer got it wrong? It wouldn't surprise me!

Basically the Cali T5 is part T32 or T30 (springs) part T30/T28 (hub, shocks and bushes) front end depending on whether 2WD/AWD and a T28 rear to make it level and feel like a nice drive when on a test drive with no weight onboard. As Cali is so heavy once part loaded the rear especially is permanently running at the upper weights it was designed for. As being worked so hard shocks soon weaken and no longer control the weight well so springs start taking a bashing. Any quality slightly uprated rear shocks will very noticeably improve ride comfort and improve longevity of the rear suspension. IMO

Last edited:
Thanks. I don't know where else, other than this forum, that one could have got that kind of info. I am happy to step out of the VW box, I just don't want to raise the tail end. Also, I have done 60,000 miles most of which has been on tortuous Scottish roads and plenty actually off road (forestry tracks) etc. I don't drive slowly and haven't had a problem with the ride but I am never more than 2up with a bit of food and a couple of rucksacks.

Thanks. I don't know where else, other than this forum, that one could have got that kind of info. I am happy to step out of the VW box, I just don't want to raise the tail end. Also, I have done 60,000 miles most of which has been on tortuous Scottish roads and plenty actually off road (forestry tracks) etc. I don't drive slowly and haven't had a problem with the ride but I am never more than 2up with a bit of food and a couple of rucksacks.
Then only choice is sticking with the Std springs to keep your ride height the same but (please) use the opportunity to replace your now tired old shocks with some a fair bit better suited to the weighty task. The Sachs Super Touring shocks mentioned above are a Std VW option for the Cali in certain countries with worse roads than here (?!). For Scottish roads they would be a perfect match. Their modestly greater damping provides a much better pairing to control the weight of the rear so improving the life of all the components as well as the drive and comfort. I have them fitted to the front of my Cali and would fit them again and to the rear if it was ever needed. The only reason I'm pressing/repeating this is because I know from fitting similar HD rear shocks to a totally Std Cali of about your milage just how good the overall improvement is for the so few £'s spent. New Std shocks will be just fine and feel better than the ageing ones you have. Only they won't last as long and will deny you the pleasure of having your Cali noticeably drive better than ever before on bumpy old roads. Good luck with the MOT.

Not right for sure. I'd order some online and get an independent to fit them. Only takes about 20 mins to fit new rear shocks. The Koni's sound good. The Sachs 314-725 + ~£120 a pair are a popular and very well regarded upgrade from STD. Could also go for Bilstein B6 + ~£290 a pair though some interesting debate on one of the German forums as to which is better. Who ever fits them it is vital that they only tighten the shock bolts once the full weight is back on the suspension.
I am looking at getting the Sachs 314-725 from buycarparts .oc.uk:
Shock Absorber Gas Pressure SACHS
Parts Details
Article №: 314 725 Manufacturer: SACHS
However, there is a comment on fitting position that says shockers are divided into right, left & double-sided. Not sure what that means?

Basically the Cali T5 is part T32 or T30 (springs) part T30/T28 (hub, shocks and bushes) front end depending on whether 2WD/AWD and a T28 rear

Would you happen to know @Skewif, if it is the same for the T6? I've only got ~10000km on mine now, but since delivery I've thought it is way to squishy and bouncy at the back. I was eyeing up this pedders kit for the rear, it doesn't mention a 57mm increase. Is this what you have?

I am looking at getting the Sachs 314-725 from buycarparts .oc.uk:
Shock Absorber Gas Pressure SACHS
Parts Details
Article №: 314 725 Manufacturer: SACHS
However, there is a comment on fitting position that says shockers are divided into right, left & double-sided. Not sure what that means?
Thats not right as not handed. Try here https://www.autodoc.co.uk/sachs/7016936

Would you happen to know @Skewif, if it is the same for the T6? I've only got ~10000km on mine now, but since delivery I've thought it is way to squishy and bouncy at the back. I was eyeing up this pedders kit for the rear, it doesn't mention a 57mm increase. Is this what you have?
Yes thats the kit have fitted. All the people I know who have this kit fitted get somewhere between 40-55mm lift depending on age, spec, how shot the spring mounts are etc. Mine were from an older batch of springs that were slightly stronger than current so more lightly a sub 50mm lift now (on SE/Ocean) . Great if you tow a lot or are always fully loaded but I found stance looked real odd as far too nose down. Also as your's a much lighter Beach they may be too harsh a ride with no load.
100% upgrade your rear shocks first. Will get rid of all the "squishy and bouncy" feel. If you are often loaded or want less roll / a more people carrier type drive swap out rear springs for T32 (or fit VW lowering / sports springs all round). Minimal lift, improved stance IMO and the handling improvement is massive and a no brainer for the ~£250 it should cost in total if you shop around for as new springs. But change shocks first.

Thats not right as not handed. Try here https://www.autodoc.co.uk/sachs/7016936
Have ordered Sachs shockers now through buycarparts.co.uk. After providing reg and VIN thay advised that the 314 725s were not compatible and are supplying 313 031s as per attached. Hope that is right? Have had to finally sever ties with WV for repairs and service and now going for local garage to fit these, service and MOT etc.

Capture.JPG

One word of warning here.

I had a set of H+R lowering spring fitted to my van about 4 years ago. Last year just before we were about to go away I needed to get some clanks coming from the suspension sorted.

As time was short the only booking I could get was at my local HWCV dealer. However, they would not look at the van because the suspension was 'non standard'. With the help of the Service Manager I got round the problem and made the ferry, but not before replacing the H+R springs for a set of VW Ebach lowering springs, which were in stock, and new anti-roll bar drop arms, which were seized causing the noise.

The edict from VWUK is that VW dealers are not allowed to work on anything that is not standard VW supplied kit. For Health and Safety reasons according the sympathetic Service Manager.

Alan

Have ordered Sachs shockers now through buycarparts.co.uk. After providing reg and VIN thay advised that the 314 725s were not compatible and are supplying 313 031s as per attached. Hope that is right? Have had to finally sever ties with WV for repairs and service and now going for local garage to fit these, service and MOT etc.

View attachment 40758
They are from memory the correct std shocks for your van not the HD ones. It is correct of your supplier to say the others are incorrect as strictly speaking they are. When the computer says no it's no! If I stick Sachs 314 725 into AutoDoc using the nearest variant of T5 van (they don't list Calis) it says they fit, which they all do as rear shocks on T5/T6 all same mounting. As you've ordered them you might as well fit them as will be better than what you have.