Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Comfort vs LV

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Has anyone done a direct comparison of pros and cons of Comfort vs LV?

LV seems to be £73pa cheaper compared to our renewal letter from Comfort!

LV have never increased my premium by anything more than a few quid upon renewal , in fact it's even gone down a few times. I've been with them for the whole 3 years of Cali ownership and on previous car before it.

AA took auto renewal as an excuse to double our premium on breakdown for example but LV never seem to do that. Or maybe I'm just getting really old.

Just had my renewal invitation from LV at £565.61, compared to last year £454.37.

Went on the meerkat site and obtained a cheapest quote of £444.71.

Then spent a fruitless 20 minutes on the phone to Safeguard. Seems they won't do insurance without breakdown cover, which I don't need, so they transferred my call to Scenic Motorhome Insurance. After going through everything, at the end of the 20 minutes I was told they could not cover for business use. :headbang So if you need business use save yourself some time by not phoning them!

I didn't feel like spending any more time on the phone, so was reluctant to call Comfort, but I found that they had an online page. Filled all the details in and was quoted £323.13, including business cover.

The only problem with the Comfort web page is that my model Cali didn't show upon the list; in fact no Oceans or automatic options were provided. So I selected an SE (you have to select something)and phoned them up afterwards. They corrected the details, and while I was on I mentioned the club discount, to which the lady refunded me £15.16! So in the end it cost me £307.97 :)

BTW, initially Comfort quote you on some basic details (they go in to more detail later when you accept the quote), this saves a lot of time if you're not happy with the cost at the end. Strange thing is at this point the only thing they want to know about the make is whether it's a Ford or not!

A lot of insurers are doing breakdown included in the polices now , not just motorhome insurers.

Just had my renewal invitation from LV at £565.61, compared to last year £454.37.

Went on the meerkat site and obtained a cheapest quote of £444.71.

Then spent a fruitless 20 minutes on the phone to Safeguard. Seems they won't do insurance without breakdown cover, which I don't need, so they transferred my call to Scenic Motorhome Insurance. After going through everything, at the end of the 20 minutes I was told they could not cover for business use. :headbang So if you need business use save yourself some time by not phoning them!

I didn't feel like spending any more time on the phone, so was reluctant to call Comfort, but I found that they had an online page. Filled all the details in and was quoted £323.13, including business cover.

The only problem with the Comfort web page is that my model Cali didn't show upon the list; in fact no Oceans or automatic options were provided. So I selected an SE (you have to select something)and phoned them up afterwards. They corrected the details, and while I was on I mentioned the club discount, to which the lady refunded me £15.16! So in the end it cost me £307.97 :)

BTW, initially Comfort quote you on some basic details (they go in to more detail later when you accept the quote), this saves a lot of time if you're not happy with the cost at the end. Strange thing is at this point the only thing they want to know about the make is whether it's a Ford or not!
I’m with Comfort for the Cali ..... a while back they sent out an eMail saying there were some security issues with Fords, so I guess that’s why their asking.

isn't it Comfort that doesn't allow you to park the vehicle for more than 48hrs unattended? that's a dealbreaker for me.

A lot of insurers are doing breakdown included in the polices now , not just motorhome insurers.
Yes, it was an option with Comfort, another £82 I think. Problem is at present the Cali is covered by VW anyway, and we are already in the RAC to cover other vehicles we use.

isn't it Comfort that doesn't allow you to park the vehicle for more than 48hrs unattended? that's a dealbreaker for me.
This is what it says:

You must tell us of the change in storage location if the Motorhome is left for more than 48 hours at a different location
Not sure how they would interpret that, but I don’t think it would affect us.

This is what it says:

You must tell us of the change in storage location if the Motorhome is left for more than 48 hours at a different location
Not sure how they would interpret that, but I don’t think it would affect us.
That wouldn’t do for me. Airport parking, two or three day conferences, weekends staying at friends or family, working at a different branch office for two days. To have to tell my insurer every time I did that would be a nightmare. And, the one time I forget, the van’s going to get nicked. Sod’s law.

That wouldn’t do for me. Airport parking, two or three day conferences, weekends staying at friends or family, working at a different branch office for two days. To have to tell my insurer every time I did that would be a nightmare. And, the one time I forget, the van’s going to get nicked. Sod’s law.
I’m not sure which of those circumstances would be interpreted by the insurer as a “storage location”, it would probably be worth making an enquiry as to how they would view those instances if considering taking out cover with them.

As the van is a “motorhome” it is going to be left at other locations for periods. Camp sites for instance ....

Obviously you have to select your insurer according to your needs. My choice was severely restricted by wanting business cover. I don’t use the van for business but if my car was off the road for any reason then I would want to use the Cali.

I was pleased to be able to get what I wanted from Comfort at a very reasonable price. I suppose it will be all change again this time next year!

I’m not sure which of those circumstances would be interpreted by the insurer as a “storage location”, it would probably be worth making an enquiry as to how they would view those instances if considering taking out cover with them.

As the van is a “motorhome” it is going to be left at other locations for periods. Camp sites for instance ....

Obviously you have to select your insurer according to your needs. My choice was severely restricted by wanting business cover. I don’t use the van for business but if my car was off the road for any reason then I would want to use the Cali.

I was pleased to be able to get what I wanted from Comfort at a very reasonable price. I suppose it will be all change again this time next year!
Be very careful. If the van is left unattended at a place other than where you told them it is ‘stored’ (or normally parked) you have to tell them. That is what it says. Everything in my list is business related (except the friends/family) as I need business cover too. It is my daily driver, even though I work from home most days now.

Picking up an Ocean tomorrow. Hunted around for quotes LV was £200 that was £200 cheaper than Comfort and £250 cheaper than Tesco. Comfort GAP is for 3yrs but only up to 15000 miles. LV do Equivalent Of GAP for the first year.
I don’t how they do it but LV is in a class of its own

Picking up an Ocean tomorrow. Hunted around for quotes LV was £200 that was £200 cheaper than Comfort and £250 cheaper than Tesco. Comfort GAP is for 3yrs but only up to 15000 miles. LV do Equivalent Of GAP for the first year.
And there is a reason for that.
Check exactly what is covered - Fridge, Leisure Electrics, Hydraulic Roof System, Control Panel, Bench Seat repairs. Everything that makes a California a California and not a Transporter.

Check exactly what is covered - Fridge, Leisure Electrics, Hydraulic Roof System, Control Panel, Bench Seat repairs. Everything that makes a California a California and not a Transporter.[/
Check exactly what is covered - Fridge, Leisure Electrics, Hydraulic Roof System, Control Panel, Bench Seat repairs. Everything that makes a California a California and not a Transporter.
Yes all covered as long as it fitted by the manufacturer it’s covered

That seems really low, as I said earlier they wanted £565 off me to renew, no accidents or claims and full NCB, in a rural location; but including business cover.

One thing I didn't realise in all the time I've been with LV (quite a few years on and off) was what this poster says link - #23

See also post 33 on the same thread.

Insurance is a minefield!

I've had clarification from Comfort about the 48 hours storage clause, a few examples were discussed:-
  • If you go to stay at a relatives, no need to tell them if you're staying there with them, but if you leave the van there and go off for more than 48 hours, then let them know.
  • If you leave it at an airport car park for more than 48 hours, let them know. If it's a proper secure car park there will be no problem.
  • If you stay at a hotel, you only need to let them know if you leave the van there and go off somewhere for more than 48 hours.
Basically I think they are making sure that the vehicle is not left somewhere that a careful owner would not normally leave their pride and joy. They were easy to talk to and will call you back at a convenient time if you drop them an email.

This clause does not pose any problems for my particular circumstances so I am happy with the cover and the cost has been very reasonable compared to other quotes I was given.

Next year will probably be all change!

I've had clarification from Comfort about the 48 hours storage clause, a few examples were discussed:-
  • If you go to stay at a relatives, no need to tell them if you're staying there with them, but if you leave the van there and go off for more than 48 hours, then let them know.
  • If you leave it at an airport car park for more than 48 hours, let them know. If it's a proper secure car park there will be no problem.
  • If you stay at a hotel, you only need to let them know if you leave the van there and go off somewhere for more than 48 hours.
Basically I think they are making sure that the vehicle is not left somewhere that a careful owner would not normally leave their pride and joy. They were easy to talk to and will call you back at a convenient time if you drop them an email.

This clause does not pose any problems for my particular circumstances so I am happy with the cover and the cost has been very reasonable compared to other quotes I was given.

Next year will probably be all change!

I left my van with my Sister in law for a few days. It took ten minutes to email Comfort the circumstances, post code and nature of parking (off street) and to get a "no problem" email back. Very easy to do.

Comfort: what if you go climbing for a few days (e.g. in Alps), leaving van in car park? Bet they won't be so keen on that. Or how about a group of you go to Scotland (for example) meeting somewhere on M6 and leaving a car there so can drive up together. i.e. real life things people do without thinking about......

LV - I insured with them yesterday. Even going to one conference a year, with no commuting was considered "business use". But thankfully it didn't cost any more.

I left my van with my Sister in law for a few days. It took ten minutes to email Comfort the circumstances, post code and nature of parking (off street) and to get a "no problem" email back. Very easy to do.
All well and good, but too restrictive for me. I recently did a two day conference/exhibition in central London. Drove down the day before and unloaded the conference gear at the hotel. Hotel car park has a height restriction so went off to park the van in the multi-storey at Kings Cross. Van stayed there until late afternoon on the final day. If they say no, it means I can’t do my job. I can’t take that risk.

Just picking up on the LV comments, we've been insured with them for our cars for years and found them very competitive and also excellent when we had to claim, however they have said very clearly now when I have asked for a quote on a California Ocean which we pick up on Saturday that they limit cover to £1000 for all the factory fitted camper items, such as beds, fridge, cooker, poptop roof etc etc. Clearly this wouldn't be enough cover which is a shame as they were considerably cheaper than Comfort who were next cheapest for us.

I guess the agent I spoke to may have been incorrect, so if anyone has any differing information on LV's cover I would be keen to hear it please?

Just picking up on the LV comments, we've been insured with them for our cars for years and found them very competitive and also excellent when we had to claim, however they have said very clearly now when I have asked for a quote on a California Ocean which we pick up on Saturday that they limit cover to £1000 for all the factory fitted camper items, such as beds, fridge, cooker, poptop roof etc etc. Clearly this wouldn't be enough cover which is a shame as they were considerably cheaper than Comfort who were next cheapest for us.

I guess the agent I spoke to may have been incorrect, so if anyone has any differing information on LV's cover I would be keen to hear it please?
It says in their policy that everything factory fitted is fully covered. They confirmed this in a telephone call and that it’s covered for use as a camper van.

Yes, I've read others on here saying the same but I really pushed them and the lady was adamant it would not be covered even if factory fit. Which is annoying as if she's wrong I have paid more to go elsewhere!

I was told by the agent at LV that it was a grey area which put me right off, I guess the price was cheap for a reason. Cheap is not always best