Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recommendations for fridge for 2 seater Beach please

Melanie Day

Melanie Day

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 102
We've a 3-seat bench seat Beach, and use a Waeco/Dometic CF11 between the two front seats.

Works well for us. I stand on it when climbing up-top also.

View attachment 33020

View attachment 33021

We have this fridger but my other half has moved it to under our little table as he is worried about scraping and scratching the seat plastic as ours seems to be a very snug fit - we have a brandrup carpet in the front which goes through this gap.

B

BradHat

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi all, been jumping around the forum off and on over the past few months since purchasing a T5

B

BradHat

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi all, been jumping around the forum off and on over the past few months since purchasing a used T5 Beach in Australia and been finding some invaluable advice. One thing I have been looking at particular have been the threads on fridges, especially any that fit between the 2 front seats.
I may have found something here in Aus that others may not be aware of and I am heavily thinking of purchasing. It's a 15L fridge by Bushman that comes in at 22cm wide.

Link below:

H

HHinds

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all, been jumping around the forum off and on over the past few months since purchasing a used T5 Beach in Australia and been finding some invaluable advice. One thing I have been looking at particular have been the threads on fridges, especially any that fit between the 2 front seats.
I may have found something here in Aus that others may not be aware of and I am heavily thinking of purchasing. It's a 15L fridge by Bushman that comes in at 22cm wide.

Link below:

We’ve been looked at this as well. Someone on the forum has the 10.5ltr Dometic and that fits between the front seats. I’ve been look at the Idel B TB18 which hopefully will also fit, just need to find one on offer!!

MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We want a Dometic/ Waeco fridge but until then, we use the 14 litre Eletric coolbox we got from Halfords and 20% off now so cost £40. I cannot recommend it enough. Fits snuggly in between the seats, nice big handle so you can take to beach and can fit loads in it. We used it for camperjam festival with no eletric hook up for 3 days straight, and it didn't kill the leiasure battery. Yes, if your going off grid for a week or two, then this is a no no, but for a few days here and thre and then on campsites with an electric hook up, its absolutely perfect. Very impressed, especially for thr money 10/10 https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=165657&productId=1487827&storeId=10001

kp64zl

kp64zl

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Wow, what is that little table. I really want one. Is that a bought tabke or diy one?
Hi @MarkVw2017 --- it's all in this thread with various designs for home made tables.

kp64zl

kp64zl

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We want a Dometic/ Waeco fridge but until then, we use the 14 litre Eletric coolbox we got from Halfords and 20% off now so cost £40. I cannot recommend it enough. Fits snuggly in between the seats, nice big handle so you can take to beach and can fit loads in it. We used it for camperjam festival with no eletric hook up for 3 days straight, and it didn't kill the leiasure battery. Yes, if your going off grid for a week or two, then this is a no no, but for a few days here and thre and then on campsites with an electric hook up, its absolutely perfect. Very impressed, especially for thr money 10/10 https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=165657&productId=1487827&storeId=10001
Hi @MarkVw2017 That looks like a great coolbox. Does it fit properly between the seats or does it restrict the handbrake in some way? That's what put me off the other small fridges. At that price not much to go wrong.

Re Dometic / Waeco -- I've the CFX28 (having eventually decided against the between seat option) and I'm super happy with it. It sits between the passenger seat and the storage box on my 2-seat Beach. It's given me almost as much pleasure as the van!! Well worth the investment. Has really transformed my camping.

Barbara

Barbara

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Our Halfords cool box works Ok we connect up the van to power before we leave home to get it cooled a bit, then put in cold things from fridge and freezer. A little noisy so turn it off at night so it does warm a bit but will cool again, milk kept OK. We had a VW fridge with the van but it never worked well and was very big, it failed after 2 years. this link is to the 24l halfords fridge I think we have the next size down.
https://www.halfords.com/camping-leisure/camping/coolboxes/halfords-24-litre-12v-electric-coolbox-2019

MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi @MarkVw2017 That looks like a great coolbox. Does it fit properly between the seats or does it restrict the handbrake in some way? That's what put me off the other small fridges. At that price not much to go wrong.

Re Dometic / Waeco -- I've the CFX28 (having eventually decided against the between seat option) and I'm super happy with it. It sits between the passenger seat and the storage box on my 2-seat Beach. It's given me almost as much pleasure as the van!! Well worth the investment. Has really transformed my camping.
Hi @kp64zl , yes, its like its built for the California, couldn't get a better fit. My wife and I were even super impressed when we went to the Camperjam festival and the official VW California sales area, one of the beach's on show even had one in it ;-)

MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150

Heres a photo for you @kp64zl ...
20190716_203920.jpg

YOLO

YOLO

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
I love my Dometic compressor 21 litre fridge. It's so spacious and reliable and works for up to 4/5 days of the leisure battery. I bought it as it was highly recommended by the guys from Campfire Magazine which also gave a Beach.

15636303348976467542361408257990.jpg

mooro26

mooro26

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
@yanathem @Emma Hughes Thanks for the replies. I traditional JFDI style I ordered it anyway and it arrived earlier. I'd heard of Indel before but until i saw your posts hadn't known about this particular model.

I definately won't stand on it :)
It cooled from 23c to 0c in approx 10 mins on the mains (It needs a transformer for mains use rather than 12v). It's (very) occasionally powering on to manage the temperature.
For the overall size / external dimensions the internal volume is really impressive - 18l vs 10.5l in the equivalent Dometic (that can fit between the seats)
The Danfoss / Semco compressor is super quiet. We were just comparing it to the now defunc't (and broken) Aldi electric cooler we'd been using.
I paid £288 for the fridge + £26.99 for a transformer.
@Crell After reading all the fridge related threads we also decided to go for the TB18 due to being able to fit between the front seats and suitable internal capacity for our needs.

However, possibly similar to @super_mooper post earlier our temperature fluctuation; 3oC SET, 1oC LOW (-2oC), 6oC HIGH (+3oC) I’d consider frequent as this is over a 8min 40sec PERIOD of which 5m 40s POWERED OFF, 3m POWERED ON. This is at 19oC ambient temperature.

Please could you let me know how this compares to your units performance?

mooro26

mooro26

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
@Crell After reading all the fridge related threads we also decided to go for the TB18 due to being able to fit between the front seats and suitable internal capacity for our needs.

However, possibly similar to @super_mooper post earlier our temperature fluctuation; 3oC SET, 1oC LOW (-2oC), 6oC HIGH (+3oC) I’d consider frequent as this is over a 8min 40sec PERIOD of which 5m 40s POWERED OFF, 3m POWERED ON. This is at 19oC ambient temperature.

... I should also have mentioned that this is with a completely full already chilled (for 15 hours) contents.

BeagleMum

BeagleMum

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I love my Dometic compressor 21 litre fridge. It's so spacious and reliable and works for up to 4/5 days of the leisure battery. I bought it as it was highly recommended by the guys from Campfire Magazine which also gave a Beach.

View attachment 47736
We agree the Dometic fridges are fabulous. We've been running a 36 litre for the last month & can't recommend it highly enough :)

super_mooper

super_mooper

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150

Hi sorry this is a slow reply! Ours (Indel TB15) is very unpredictable... seems to sit within a couple of degrees of the preset most of the time but can suddenly jump up to 9-10 degrees for half a day or so. Doesn’t seem to have anything to do with how full it is, how low we program it, or whether on or off hookup. Currently off hookup but using a large ice pack in the fridge as we’re on a site with freezer... unsurprisingly, this has helped a lot, but has reduced capacity. I’ve also bought a thermometer which does suggest it’s colder inside the bottom of the main compartment than it thinks. Will probably still be contacting the manufacturer after this trip though. Given that it also doesn’t fit between the seats as we’d hoped (we still don’t know how others have managed this!) I wish we’d gone for the 18l Dometic instead.

B

BradHat

Vehicle
T5 Beach

Link below:

Hi all, by way of an update I found a similar fridge for half the price. I have had it for a couple weeks now and works great. Link is below:

Our Partners