Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Conversion from CC to ACC

Ray Cali

Ray Cali

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi, does anyone know if its possible to convert cruise control to adaptive cruise control on a 150DSG, 68 Ocean?

Realistically no it isnt. No dealer will do it and thats before consideration to the cost.

Adaptive Cruise? in this country...???
:D:talktothehand:upsidedown

So they want you to pay them to experiment with your vehicle? No thank you!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

So they want you to pay them to experiment with your vehicle? No thank you!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Then there is no other decent option, I guess.
At VW they won't be able to help you.

I thouhht it would be very handy driving through motorway roadworks

ACC is a great concept, for empty French Motorways.
But on our congested road network, you won’t be maintaining a steady pace, ACC will be constantly slowing you down...

ACC is a great concept, for empty French Motorways.
But on our congested road network, you won’t be maintaining a steady pace, ACC will be constantly slowing you down...
I thought that was what is good about ACC, that it does slow you down in built up traffic without applying the brake, then auto speeding up. CC is ideal for French empty roads

I asked a vw approved retro fitter if it was possible, (Satnav Systems Chertsey) who I have used several times for Oem work and trust to give good advice.

The answer was the parts are avaible and it is possible, so yes,

however they won’t because their insurers won’t allow them to carry out the modifications.

I asked a vw approved retro fitter if it was possible, (Satnav Systems Chertsey) who I have used several times for Oem work and trust to give good advice.

The answer was the parts are avaible and it is possible, so yes,

however they won’t because their insurers won’t allow them to carry out the modifications.
Thank you for that response

I thought that was what is good about ACC, that it does slow you down in built up traffic without applying the brake, then auto speeding up. CC is ideal for French empty roads

What happens is, cars pull out in front of you, therefore slowing you down.
Where on standard cruise you would have enough time to feather the cruise or anticipate a move to the outside lane. This can be adjusted, but i never found it far enough to make a difference.
If you want to plod along, then the system will probably work.
I bet my van, that average speed over 200 miles will be a lot less with ACC compared to standard cruise...

ACC on heavy vehicles like the Cali means big gaps between vehicles, and hence vehicles regularly cutting in front and further slowing progress.

On lighter quicker vehicles it’s quite effective even in stop start traffic.

I do a lot of mileage- so far 14k in 6 months mostly A roads with a lot of town driving.
For me who drives as part of their job I wouldn’t be without ACC and yes that’s on a Cali.
That said you do get people cutting in more but I put that down to ther people’s poor driving,
However I do get that like so many options on a Cali it personal preference.
I wonder if it’s harder or easier to retro fit on a pre 6:1 Cali given the steering is electricallly assisted?:thumb

I'm going to phone VW Liverpool tomorrow and ask the question. They can only say no way

I wonder if it’s harder or easier to retro fit on a pre 6:1 Cali given the steering is electricallly assisted?:thumb
There is no connection between ACC and steering. If ACC slows you down due to a car in front, you can steer to a free lane if available and ACC will accelerate to the preset speed. You may be thinking of lane assist, which needs electric steering assist to function.

ACC on heavy vehicles like the Cali means big gaps between vehicles, and hence vehicles regularly cutting in front and further slowing progress.

Yes agree with this. Even with the ACC set to its shortest setting, it still detects cars to far away.
Vehicles that constantly speed up and down are bad for traffic flow and it just demonstrates poor driving.

I currently have lots of roadworks around me in Southampton at the moment and when I put my acc on in the roadworks cars do cut in front. Now if I was in my work van I’d be right up behind them shouting times money gotta fix them boilers and earn the money and generally raging at people’s driving . When I’m in the bus I’m in no rush and just don’t care I bimble along like something out of driving miss daisy so after doing 40 thousand miles in a year in the work van I find I love ACC

I currently have lots of roadworks around me in Southampton at the moment and when I put my acc on in the roadworks cars do cut in front. Now if I was in my work van I’d be right up behind them shouting times money gotta fix them boilers and earn the money and generally raging at people’s driving . When I’m in the bus I’m in no rush and just don’t care I bimble along like something out of driving miss daisy so after doing 40 thousand miles in a year in the work van I find I love ACC

Thankyou, exactly...
Unfortunately most people in the UK don’t drive on the motorway with due diligence. Sitting in the middle lane, not using mirrors and unable to maintain a consistent speed.
Hence why ACC adds to our motorway woes.

I do wish we had a motorway network and driving proficiency similar to France...

Pros and Cons of ACC.
I wonder what your insurance company will make of a retro fitted ACC system...?
Worth having a word with them too?

I'm going to phone VW Liverpool tomorrow and ask the question. They can only say no way
Ray, if you go over to the t6f, there is a long running thread on retro fitting ACC. It is more complex than just the radar. The radar is linked to the speedo which in turn has links to the stereo and all of them are linked through crypto functions which in turn is linked to vin numbers by the mothership. So, knowing the complexity, the answer from anyone unfortunately will be a no.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ray, if you go over to the t6f, there is a long running thread on retro fitting ACC. It is more complex than just the radar. The radar is linked to the speedo which in turn has links to the stereo and all of them are linked through crypto functions which in turn is linked to vin numbers by the mothership. So, knowing the complexity, the answer from anyone unfortunately will be a no.

Sorry, what is t6f?

Phoned VW Liverpool and has suspected the answer is NO. It's a factory fitted option and they are not allowed to modify the van for H&S reasons

Back