Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Convert to polyroof or not?

umby27

umby27

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi,

I would like to hear advice from polyroof owners on the pro's and con's of switching from an elevating roof to a polyroof.

Currently I have a T5 Cali comfortline elevating roof with 2 awesome solar panels on that cover all my needs. But I am drawn to the polyroof with panoramic glass, but boy is such a conversion expensive! It's easily almost 10K eur...

We have replaced the topbed mattress with memory foam, but still we are having soar backs. The polyroof has a thicker mattress I think, but is it worthwhile? Does a polyroof sleep better? Is it wider? Or is it claustrophobic?

When free camping the tent seems not so secure and a polyroof could offer more security or at least the impression of security.

When free camping people are drawn to an elevated roof, but seem to walk by a polyroof without paying much attention. So more privacy and less issues to be asked to leave.

The pillows and sleeping bags can remain on the bed. Maybe one can even sleep upstairs while driving?

Better insulation in the winter, but maybe hotter in the summer?

Fuel consumption?

Sensitive to wind and passing trucks ?

I would love to hear feedback on polyroof, since the investment is huge...

thank you!

Maybe one can even sleep upstairs while driving?

You will need long arms to do that. ;)

Last edited:
That seems a very expensive given that the hole is already in a Cali roof so the cutting and strengthening is already done. I seem to remember seeing a cost for around £5k for the whole job on a T5.

LOL : cruise control, left foot on the steering wheel and head out the roof window :)

From the pricelist of polyroof in germany it states :
1 x base conversion from elevating to polyroof : 5295 eur
+ paintjob 1 color : 669 eur
+ panoramic roofwindow : 2363 eur
+ adjustments awning and bike rack ....

Then if you want side rails, extra windows on the sides or rear or solar panels you exceed 10K eur :(

I had the same thoughts when I had my Cali and visited the Polyroof factory. The quality and care of workmanship was very impressive with about 3 months wait for build time. As you say when you order all the bells and whistles it well over 10k. As for the bed its a big improvement and very well insulated BUT it is much more difficult to sit up there and turn around because of the sloping front. This was very important for us as my wife has a knee problem and on a bad day could not get up there. Considering the cost and wait times we chose The Westfalia Joker which has a wider bed than the Cali, bedding is made up and stored there all time with more headroom, three windows plus two skylights makes it nice and light plus we now have electric flush toilet, radiators for quitenight heating, Hot water and shower and luxury of being able to stand up in kitchen while wife is still in bed. Downside, I do find very windy days affect driving more than the Cali. Fuel consumption ? I have not seen much difference ( 1500 miles so should improve) The Westy does not have the good looks of the Cali but it does what it says on the tin. Paul

Sorry about that I couldn't resist:)

Does it work ok with a tailgate?

I would do it if VW would give me the cost of front section and main roof repair towards the total cost

This is a very nice video showing plenty of detail about the Polyroof. Although the upper bed is short, the rest of the fitting looks super quality and practical.
Skip to 5 mins in to watch the van tour, or 7.46 in to just see the start of the roof bit.

Yep, it's a T5 Cali in the States!

OMG!!!!! Did not know this was possible. I need this.

When you buy a new ocean, can you order that at volkswagen?

My dreamcar gets better and better.

It’s not that straightforward I’m afraid. The polyroof is an aftermarket fit, so you need to buy your Cali, then rip part of it off and pay a big chunk for the new roof. I don’t know how folk justify the £, but it is a lovely van once done.

You need a Westfalia Joker!

I wish vw or Westy would build a SWB Cali with a hard roof like the Polyroof, with the nice simple Cali layout. Westfalia used to make that combination until 1997 but most don't have aircon etc and a few too many compromises.

Surely the beauty of a Cali is that it’s under 2m. Taking the roof off and spending 10k on a high top with a cramped bed seems bonkers, especially as it’ll probably have a negative effect on the value.

If you want to go that route I’m sure Reimo or Leisuredrive will relieve you of a lot fewer Euros for a grp hightop and you can sell your old one one eBay.

I do like those LWB Westy Jokers though.

Dont like the joker lay out.

But ok, cant park in stored garages, but for the rest its the same. But with a lot of plusses for me,

- bed always ready
- more room for a bike inside
- when freezing still warm
- no issues with for example mold from water at top tent

Of course, it is an extra 10k. But when i can pay for a new ocean, i will be able to do that also. Dont care about resell value, cause i will buy it and use it until my lights go out haha.

I don't see the point of this at all I'm afraid. If you want more headroom in a camper then why not go for a larger van to start with, Crafter sort of size that hasn't been modded so less chance of leaks etc. As already said the advantage of the Cali is the height for car parks, ferries etc. If you're concerned about security then keep the roof down when you aren't with the van. Aside from the extra cost.

then why not go for a larger van to start with
Because they don't fit in parking spaces, your neighbours may object etc etc. There is no reason why desire for a hard / high top means you also want/need a big van.

If you've never had a high top van I guess it's hard to see the benefits (and I'm not selling... I just found the video which showed the topic in much better detail than before).

Anyone that's had a high top, and sat in miserable weather like this weekend, will see the benefits.

The more info and options the better.

I really like the Cali set up and van size length and width. Would happily have a Cali with a hightop. 2 days of high wind on the south coast and kept the roof down. With racing cancelled at Cowes not risking the roof.
Yesterday's view from the van.

20181275.JPG

Further video found tonight showing the upper bed does extend so it's for adults as well as kids. Not sure if it's the full length of the pop top version, but looks close.
Skip to about 3 mins into this video

The van is up for sale in Germany. An 06, 238k km for Eur 19.6k.

Back