Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cooker and BBQ

B

BikerBoy

VIP Member
Got there at last. :grin:

Will be trying her out this weekend.

Can anybody give me tips on sleeping bags? I am looking for a double and two singles for kids. I am focused on not overheating/sweating in the summer (we have a heater if it gets bad). I guess there is no point in messing around with cheapie and a liner is a good idea.

Looking for a combined BBQ and single gas hob with legs. Any suggestions? I have a beach so am flexible on the gas type/cylinder.

:thanks

We had a Coleman Hudson Double Speeing Bag when we were tent camping which is excellent -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Hudson- ... 779&sr=8-1

Not sure on the cooker aspect. We've bought a CADAC for the van after seeing lots of people using them whilst we've been camping but it's not been tested yet.

If you fancy it then cheapest I could find it is Hamilton Leisure -

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/C ... eluxe.html

£149.99 delivered including a free cover.

I then used Go Outdoors Price Match to beat it by 10% so it cost us £134.98. :thumb

Yes mate.

The CADAC doesn't come with a regulator or tubing as I found out last night.

Mmm I've just had a thought

I wonder if it would be possible to get a professional to fit a flexible extension onto the existing gas line that you could then just run out when you wanted to use the Cadac. You would be able to use the stove at the same time then?

Just thinking out loud really

agree hudson double very comfy sleeping bag ,
only used a liner the once and have never used it since, felt like i was being strangled ,bit of an in joke now with my scouts who always ask have you brought your liner to which they obviously know the answer :thumb

ive been thinking about the cadac connection issue and with all my previous gas appliances not only for me but with all the scouts kit ,i have used the quick fit push connectors which enables quick change over of appliances onto different bottles .I intend to cut into the flexible gas pipe and insert a T piece connector and have a length of flexible gas pipe with a quick push fitting on it (this will coil up in the bottle store when not needed. So i can simply take the lid off in the cupboard pull out the new pipe and plug my cadac into it.

dave and lisa

only used a liner the once and have never used it since, felt like i was being strangled ,bit of an in joke now with my scouts who always ask have you brought your liner to which they obviously know the answer :thumb

ive been thinking about the cadac connection issue and with all my previous gas appliances not only for me but with all the scouts kit ,i have used the quick fit push connectors which enables quick change over of appliances onto different bottles .I intend to cut into the flexible gas pipe and insert a T piece connector and have a length of flexible gas pipe with a quick push fitting on it (this will coil up in the bottle store when not needed. So i can simply take the lid off in the cupboard pull out the new pipe and plug my cadac into it.

dave and lisa

inthemidnighthour said:

dave and lisa

What a great idea for the gas :thumb After you have done it any chance of some pictures??

Also just a comment on the sleeping bags - I sleep in my truck 3 - 4 nights very week as do most of our drivers. None that I know of use sleeping bags including me as they are just so restrictive and uncomfortable. Its duvets all the way for us and that's what we will be using in the Cali too. Its amazing just how small you can fold them up when you need too - bliss :grin:

Dave,

Are you using a CADAC? I bought it purely on seeing other people using them and some online reviews so a bit of a gamble.

Mark,

We won't be using a bag either it'll be duvets. Maybe we'll see how effective the built in heater is :laugh2

Stu said:
Dave,

Are you using a CADAC? I bought it purely on seeing other people using them and some online reviews so a bit of a gamble.

Mark,

We won't be using a bag either it'll be duvets. Maybe we'll see how effective the built in heater is :laugh2

What duvets are you using? Special camping types? Are they compressible?

:thanks

Stu said:
Dave,

Mark,

Please don't tell me the heater is rubbish? it cost a fortune!

Don't worry about the heater they are superb :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Cobb for bbq, roasts etc
Trangia for frying outside, especially fish etc
Main hob for the rest

Trangia is really good an compact for emergency cooker backup too.

as for sleeping bags.. we use four season down bags with silk liners :)

We don't use the heater at night as it's noisy!

Whilst I like the theory of being able to plug the BBQ into the van gas supply in practice I'm not sure it's a great idea. You'd need a fair old length of hose or at least cook closer to your van than I'd like to be.

Stu said:
Whilst I like the theory of being able to plug the BBQ into the van gas supply in practice I'm not sure it's a great idea. You'd need a fair old length of hose or at least cook closer to your van than I'd like to be.

This is the concern that I would have which is why I would also take professional advice. I don't think that the length of the hose has anything to do with gas regulations I believe its more about the capability of the supply and the robustness of the system - I for one would really like to see the t piece conversion which seems to be quite a common adaption and then take advice

I think you're still looking at a cost which may well outweigh the advantages.

I think there may be limitations on hose length too. For example the CADAC specifically says something like no more than 1.5m hose length in the instructions.

california180 said:
Don't worry about the heater they are superb :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Spot on, it's amazingly good.

I use the outback compact u BBQ

It's those small gas cylinders and aren't expensive at all ...
I BBQ on it and has a small griddle with it ,brew up on it ,fry and boil and with me little toaster thingy .. U got it I can toast. .. Lol lol

About £40 and come in a case ,so easy to store as well :)

Back