Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

External gas tap for BBQ

P

Phil Rodgers

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi

Newbie to posting on the site but had a 2010 cali Se for a year now and loving the machine, read hundreds of posts on the forum (thanks for the insight guys) but I've a question i'd like to ask.

Before you ask ive been a qualified heating engineer for the last 30 years and think this shouldnt be a safety risk and the warranty on cali is long out of date, so no issues there.

The question, has anybody every drilled though to the gas canister compartment and fitted an external gas tap for a BBQ that links to the same canister as the hob (similar to the ones you find on a modern motorhomes/caravan)? Obviously I would be using proper componants/regulators and resealing the unit.

If so any advise\warnings, etc? Thinking of doing though the rear wardrobe so the tap is on the internal of the van rather than the exterior, so to use I would need the boot open and a long tube to thr BBQ.

Thanks in advance.

The major problem is that the canister compartment is actually a water tank, A few holes through that & it isn't going to be holding much water!

if you are going to be opening the wardrobe to use your new connection why not just introduce a quick release fitting between the bottle valve & the fixed pipework in the car container & do the same to your BBQ hose.

There have been many posts on this topic.

My own conclusion was that the length of hose required would take up a similar amount of space as an extra bottle, therefore a pointless exercise.

• Agree
Reactions: DM
Thanks, didn't realise the water tank went all the way round. Will have a rethink or a second bottle is always an option

We just carry an additional bottle. It also means we have always got a spare should the main one run out.
That's what I do.....you always need a spare, so you can risk running your main bottle down to zero mid meal.....and the spare runs the Cadac

Back