Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cooking in your Cali

Don’t know about that, Matt. I just watched Patrick’s cookout on your blog. He’s so organised and tidy. I’m a really messy cook with stuff everywhere. I spread out all over the place, that’s probably why I like outdoor cooking so much. Luckily my hubby is tidy and doesn’t mind clearing up behind me (poor guy’s had over 40 years of it) so we make a good team.

Patrick is a very organised person for sure, I can't wait to release the video of his Cali organisation, it was amazing. I am like you however not massively organised but Vanessa thankfully is.

Does anyone else use a steamer? I use one that is a pan plus two steaming pans and lid. With just 2 hobs you get the equivalent of 4. Can cook many items simultaneously and knock up some pretty impressive feasts. Steamed salmon with a selection of veg topped with a dill and white wine sauce is a fave. Best part is near zero smell when cooking fish inside.
This sounds like a great idea in the camper, limited rings means the more you can do on one the better. Where did you get your set from?

This sounds like a great idea in the camper, limited rings means the more you can do on one the better. Where did you get your set from?
Not sure where it came from but looks like this and is 18cm. About £20 online. Very versatile and if used to store other items / foodstuff inside the parts when not in use it takes little space. I hope one day someone will make a collapsible version.
steamer.jpg

Weirdly enough I was trying to think of some campervan related products that were missing from the market (I've been talking to someone who might be able to manufacture things). I'll have a chat and see if such a thing is possible, a collapsible steamer is a good idea indeed if its similar to the one you showed inthe shot. .

You can already get the fold in ones however that sit on top of a pan. :)

Weirdly enough I was trying to think of some campervan related products that were missing from the market (I've been talking to someone who might be able to manufacture things). I'll have a chat and see if such a thing is possible, a collapsible steamer is a good idea indeed if its similar to the one you showed inthe shot. .

You can already get the fold in ones however that sit on top of a pan. :)
Ideal would be the same kind of thing but each pan is a little wider going up with flat handles very near to the top lip. That way they could stack inside each other for storage and take up much less space.

If you want to invent something a Cali sized folding stove top oven would be what I'm after. A bit like this https://www.coleman.com/camp-oven/2000016462.html but make it just right size for just a couple of M&S ready meals. Would be perfect for a dog walk then a hot lunch with no prep or washing up pans!

Patrick is a very organised person for sure, I can't wait to release the video of his Cali organisation, it was amazing. I am like you however not massively organised but Vanessa thankfully is.
Luckily opposites attract . If Charlie was similar to me, we’d have lasted 5 minutes. I really wonder how he can stand our
Looking forward to seeing more of his ideas - to stay on thread - especially around the “kitchen”.

Last edited:
Does anyone else use a steamer? I use one that is a pan plus two steaming pans and lid. With just 2 hobs you get the equivalent of 4. Can cook many items simultaneously and knock up some pretty impressive feasts. Steamed salmon with a selection of veg topped with a dill and white wine sauce is a fave. Best part is near zero smell when cooking fish inside.
I have an old pressure cooker basket that will sit in the top of a saucepan so use that in the van with the pan lid on top. I do have a set a steamer pans that I use at home but have never taken away. I like the idea of putting things in the empty space of them, Skewif.

I bought a stainless steel pan plus 2 x steamers from a second hand shop for a couple of quid. Perfect to cook rice/pasta/spuds and steam veg on top. All on one gas ring. We usually chuck in chickpeas/hot dog sausages/quorn sausages. No fancy cuisine but it works.

Last edited:
View attachment 40105

You can already get the fold in ones however sit on top of a pan. :)
Something I’d like to see is a rotiserrie that would fit a Cobb premiere. I read an article on how to make one and purchased a battery powered kit from eBay. Then I bought an extra extension ring from Cobb but now need someone to cut the holes. Altogether it will have cost about £65 just for the parts.

I think lots of people would buy a stainless steel extension rotisserie that fitted the Cobb, there is one for the SAfire (similar to the Cobb) but the diameter is too wide to be compatible and it’s not sold in the UK.

DIYed Cobb one. 40360CB6-2672-4CA6-981D-C94DE52BDFB3.jpeg (2 extension rings, top one cut. Lid goes on top).
Link to commercial one for the SAfire. https://www.safireshop.nl/bbq/spit-rotisserie/

Can’t remember if you use a Cobb, Matt.

Last edited:
I bought a stainless steel pan plus 2 x steamers from a second hand shop for a couple of quid. Perfect to cook rice/pasta/spuds and steam veg on top. All on one gas ring. We usually chuck in chickpeas/hot dog sausages/quorn sausages. Not gaunt cuisine but it works.
They’re worth looking out for in charity shops, people buy them and get fed up because they take up cupboard space at home, so then donate them.

Ideal would be the same kind of thing but each pan is a little wider going up with flat handles very near to the top lip. That way they could stack inside each other for storage and take up much less space.

If you want to invent something a Cali sized folding stove top oven would be what I'm after. A bit like this https://www.coleman.com/camp-oven/2000016462.html but make it just right size for just a couple of M&S ready meals. Would be perfect for a dog walk then a hot lunch with no prep or washing up pans!
Really interesting and like the idea of a few ready meals. I looked at the Coleman link and thought of a few questions:
  • Without insulation would it use a lot of gas to stay at the required temperature?
  • If it was inside the van, on the hob, would it get so hot it could crack the glass stove lid that would be behind it?
  • Is the Coleman one designed more for outside rather than in a confined space?
  • For safety would you leave it to cook whilst walking the dogs, or are you thinking to heat it up and cook when you get back?
What do you guys think?

Really interesting and like the idea of a few ready meals. I looked at the Coleman link and thought of a few questions:
  • Without insulation would it use a lot of gas to stay at the required temperature?
  • If it was inside the van, on the hob, would it get so hot it could crack the glass stove lid that would be behind it?
  • For safety would you leave it to cook whilst walking the dogs, or are you thinking to heat it up and cook when you get back?
What do you guys think?
When we’re away with the driveaway awning we often leave something cooking on our Cobb in a foil lined pan/dish to eat when we get back. Couldn’t leave it cooking inside the van though. Also only do it on a decent campsite where people aren’t likely to nosey or nick your stuff, never at a festival.

What do you guys think?

Feel the Coleman oven is too big and could well cause problems with the glass getting too hot. Might work ok outside with a single burner but then it starts to defeat the object of it being quick easy way to heat a meal.
I certainly wouldn't leave it unattended and go for a dog walk as my mutt has mastered the art of doubling the planned length of every walk.

There must be some quick easy way to heat up / cook off a variety of ready meals. If it's something like curry and rice it's easy to do that in the steamer. Have left that unattended with enough water in the base and vent the van before getting back in. It's the ones that really need roasting that are challenging. Perhaps a stacking steamer like mentioned above but with an extra base made like the bottom of the Coleman oven that lets all the heat inside. Swap the knob on the lid for a thermometer and adjustable vent... it could work.... maybe.

Ended up not doing a lot of camper or outdoor cooking last year (multiple reasons) and am now more conscious of what and how I eat, so ultimately cook. Looking forward to experimenting and a slight change of focus.

Have always used a pressure cooker and am a big fan. Now it’s just me and the other half at home I’ve added to my pan collection with a smaller 3 litre version from Lakeland. It’s brilliant and a great size for the van. Also doubles as a good sized, sturdy ordinary pan that you could put steamer baskets on/in.

Thinking of taking off the side handles to save space and experiment on different cookers/stoves and fuels.

Ended up not doing a lot of camper or outdoor cooking last year (multiple reasons) and am now more conscious of what and how I eat, so ultimately cook. Looking forward to experimenting and a slight change of focus.
We were the same to a degree, only a few recipes published on the website and lots of videos films but none yet edited.

Hey, c'mon guys! What's this? Post-Brexit depressions? Keep up the spirit, and heat up these pots and pods!
Me I recently made a nice steam-pocket 'Bouillabaise', healthy (except for the excess of Ricard in it), clean, quick and dry (just opened the door for a second while opening the pockets to start eating.

Share the recipe I would love to try it! :D
Well, in fact it was more a stew than a soup, fitting my 'papillotte'-RidgeMonkey technique that you know.
Prepared at home: for the left pan I filled a large envelope with two little red gurnard filets, 2 small pieces of monkfish, (s&p), 6 mussels and 4 'naked' (and cleaned) gamba's. Their armors I baked previously in olive oil with garlic, together with the peels of 200gr north sea shrimps. Add some white wine, then squeeze out the juices from the heads and let it dry-cook till you get a sauce, to be added to the fish envelope. The seawater coming out of the few mussels is not enough to steam the envelope, so add 2cc of white wine. The peeled shrimps can be eaten as starter ('tomate-crevette' with some mayonnaise, s&p and parsley).
For the right side of the Ridge-Monkey: for the middle envelope: stew onion with thyme and laurel, add thin cut fennel, then leeks, then cherry tomatoes, then a little spoon of tomato paste and a capsule of saffron. Then powder it with some flour, mix well, and pour a glass of Pastis over. Let it stew some extra more minutes and put it in the pocket.
For the three smallest compartments: add two small papillotte's filled with steamed potatoes and one with rouille.
All these envelopes fit perfectly in my plastic containers, the exact size of the fridge basket, so there's a minimum risk of leaking.
From there on you just have to put them in the dry double pan, heat/blow them up (the veggies pan on a low fire, only to warm it), and in some 4 minutes you have a healthy meal, while keeping a clean kitchen, without the need to raise the roof, and without creating a hamam ambiance.
Smakelijk!

Last edited:
Hello, we are waiting for the delivery of our 1st Cali and are starting to kit it up. Thanks for all your help on this forum, so many tips and ideas !
On the cooking pans topic. I am looking at the Tefal Ingenio set but there are so many different sizes. Is it possible to use a frying pan 28cm and another pan 24 cm at the same time on the hob? is there enough space? would the 2 burners be wide enough? Or should I go for smaller pans?

Hello, we are waiting for the delivery of our 1st Cali and are starting to kit it up. Thanks for all your help on this forum, so many tips and ideas !
On the cooking pans topic. I am looking at the Tefal Ingenio set but there are so many different sizes. Is it possible to use a frying pan 28cm and another pan 24 cm at the same time on the hob? is there enough space? would the 2 burners be wide enough? Or should I go for smaller pans?
Be careful with larger pans as the heat can get quite intense and affect the compartments either side the hob (fridge and sink). There are reports of melting washing up bowls, for example, in the forums.

In the van I've used a 28cm Tefal ingenio fry pan alongside a ridgemonkey toaster XL. This is an old style RM, the new ones have removable handles:

9582DB86-0FE8-46D1-A8BD-694910B3543E.jpeg

I think the 2 fry pans you're thinking of would be too much to use at the same time.

The tefal pans have slippy bottoms (ooh, er Misses) and that has obvious problems for loaded pans in a confined space. Their induction pans have chunky bottoms, but are a lot heavier and more expensive.

The great thing about the tefal pans is the removable handle (same for newer RMs). Makes it easy to pack and store and they'll fit in to other cooking systems. For example I use them in/on my Cobb oven/grill. It makes them very versatile.

Last edited:
Be careful with larger pans as the heat can get quite intense and affect the compartments either side the hob (fridge and sink). There are reports of melting washing up bowls, for example, in the forums.

In the van I've used a 28cm Tefal ingenio fry pan alongside a ridgemonkey toaster XL. This is an old style RM, the new ones have removable handles:

View attachment 66681

I think the 2 fry pans you're thinking of would be too much to use at the same time.

The tefal pans have slippy bottoms (ooh, er Misses) and that has obvious problems for loaded pans in a confined space. Their induction pans have chunky bottoms, but are a lot heavier and more expensive.

The great thing about the tefal pans is the removable handle (same for newer RMs). Makes it easy to pack and store and they'll fit in to other cooking systems. For example I use them in/on my Cobb oven/grill. It makes them very versatile.
If you want lids for your fry pans Ikea do flexi silicone ones that are good value, but I prefer their Stabil glass & stainless steel lid. It can be used on a variet of pans up to 28cm and the handle folds down so it stores easily (you just need to remember the handle gets hot). I wrap it in a tea towel, put it in a plastic bag (just in case) and store it permanently in the bottom of the overhead (dropdown) locker/cupboard.lids.JPG

If you want lids for your fry pans Ikea do flexi silicone ones that are good value, but I prefer their Stabil glass & stainless steel lid. It can be used on a variet of pans up to 28cm and the handle folds down so it stores easily (you just need to remember the handle gets hot). I wrap it in a tea towel, put it in a plastic bag (just in case) and store it permanently in the bottom of the overhead (dropdown) locker/cupboard.View attachment 66682
there you go, i was just about to post what about the oil/grease splashing around the galley into the van, that's why i always cook outside, now you cause me to yet another trip to Ikea !

Back