Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cooking in your Cali

there you go, i was just about to post what about the oil/grease splashing around the galley into the van, that's why i always cook outside, now you cause me to yet another trip to Ikea !
They do a fat splatter lid thing too but I didn't want to have to clean the mesh everytime I used it.
If when you cook you have a lot of splatter, you could always use a foldable camp cooking wind sheild at the side and front (glass is at the back anyway).
I also researched this type of fry wall/splatter cone, but thought it would be more hassle than it was worth so didn't bother.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LVV7MMU/

They do a fat splatter lid thing too but I didn't want to have to clean the mesh everytime I used it.
If when you cook you have a lot of splatter, you could always use a foldable camp cooking wind sheild at the side and front (glass is at the back anyway).
I also researched this type of fry wall/splatter cone, but thought it would be more hassle than it was worth so didn't bother.
you are convincing me back to cook outside .... :D :D

you are convincing me back to cook outside .... :D :D
Outside is always better.

We've only used the Cali "kitchen" a few times in 20 months, but now we can easily extend our camping season to a whole year it'll be nice to hunker down in bad weather and cook in the cosiness of the van. Especially if we're somewhere we can't put the awning out.

It'll take a bit of getting used to though, I'm a messy cook and when outdoors I tend to spread out a lot!

Turning a quarantine into a tasteful moment, and following my
"Making a two-person three-course menu in a 'stealth' position, so without raising the roof, or opening the doors, and without losing the peace of the moment into chaos and stress." challenge, hereby next steam menu:
Starter: 'Chawanmushi', shitake and North sea shrimps omelet. Steam liquid: dashi and mirin
Main course: Salmon with asparagus, tomato and tagliatelle (take fresh one). Steam liquid: white wine
Dessert: Banana Split with Nutella and mint. Steam liquid: Rhum

IMG-3220.jpg Steam pockets can be filled in advance, stored in the fridge container.
IMG-3218.jpg IMG-3215.jpg IMG-3227.jpg. IMG-3229.jpg IMG-3234.jpg IMG-3235.jpg
After 7 minutes you can eat the omelet, 7 minutes later the salmon, then put off the heat while the dessert stays well warm in its pocket; perfect cooking plan. No greasy interior, only two dishes to wash (if the envelopes are folded carefully, the RidgeMonkey stays perfectly clean).
Bon Appetit!

Last edited:
I have the Ikea fat splatter mesh lid, looks just like the glass lid above but with mesh. It gives meat, fish and veggies a fried taste instead of steamed. It's incredibly handy to stop mess in the van when cooking in bad weather, and I usually use it even when cooking outdoors just to make stove cleanup easier and quicker. I find it easy to wash, don't try to sterilize it, just soap and water heated on the stove, quick rinse and wipe off, then into a plastic bag on top of the frying pan, which holds my tin plates.

I have the Ikea fat splatter mesh lid, looks just like the glass lid above but with mesh. It gives meat, fish and veggies a fried taste instead of steamed. It's incredibly handy to stop mess in the van when cooking in bad weather, and I usually use it even when cooking outdoors just to make stove cleanup easier and quicker. I find it easy to wash, don't try to sterilize it, just soap and water heated on the stove, quick rinse and wipe off, then into a plastic bag on top of the frying pan, which holds my tin plates.
Thank you for such an informative post. Think I’ll get one next time I’m in.

Back