Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cooking Pots and Pans

P

Paul

VIP Member
Hi folks,

Need to start equipping my new baby from a domestic point of view.

Does anybody have any reccomendations for cooking pots and Pans considering the Cali limitations, storage etc?

:thanks

Paul

We have some camping ones that all fit inside each other however the new cooking pot from Whacky Practicals looks interesting.

Martin has been testing it I think.

I have the best pots in the world ... Lol lol ... If I stop being a div I'll try and post a photo of them :)

Paul a good thing to do is get hold of a copy of Martin Dorey's The Campervan Cookbook for lots of good advice for cooking on two rings in a Campervan. :D

I followed his recommendations and ended up buying the following Pots and Pans from Tesco's (Value Range).

Source Pans approx 6.5 and 7 inch.

Steamer to fit 7 inch Source Pan which also doubles up as a Strainer.

Frying Pans approx 13 and 10 inch. Also Griddle Pan 10 inch square.

Finally a Cobb to cook on and in as a portable oven and a portable Colemans gas ring as a back up and to do the fry ups outside the Cali.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Campingaz-20537 ... 70&sr=8-22

Here are some links to topics that may help you with buying items for your Cali. :thumb

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=259

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1152

John

Really happy with the cooking pot, its a very good size

31ugbYVXmRL._AA300_.jpg

31RcNdZ8kZL._AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacky-Practical ... -1-catcorr

Nice looking pot martin :rofl :rofl

We've got a Le Creuset cocotte (medium sized cooking pot; it's a bit of a sod carrying it to the wash facilities - weighs a tonne!), an assortment of Trangia bits and a fairly cheapo Tefal frying pan. All does the job, all easyish to clean.

KernowLad said:
We've got a Le Creuset cocotte (medium sized cooking pot; it's a bit of a sod carrying it to the wash facilities - weighs a tonne!)
I just don't believe this campervan camping with a cast iron cooking pot :headwall

Next you will be telling us your dog is loose in the back as well :crazy

:idea: ACCIDENT :sad

C

KernowLad said:
We've got a Le Creuset cocotte (medium sized cooking pot; it's a bit of a sod carrying it to the wash facilities - weighs a tonne!), an assortment of Trangia bits and a fairly cheapo Tefal frying pan. All does the job, all easyish to clean.

Take's some heat to get that lot hot enough to cook fella .... thought the campervan scene was about lightweight & practicality not ready steady cook .. :laugh2

Seem to have broken some unknown rule.

It cooks great food thanks and is well packed away. Keeps everything warm and cooks it properly - had many a nice casserole, curry, chilli, etc using it. Lightweight? A California weighs in excess of 2.5 tonnes - a kg or so extra on a proper cooking pot is hardly pushing it... :lol:

The dog - we tie her down with 14 straps and nail her paws to the ground... :rofl Thanks for the "safety" tips... :funny

KernowLad said:

It cooks great food thanks and is well packed away. Keeps everything warm and cooks it properly - had many a nice casserole, curry, chilli, etc using it. Lightweight? A California weighs in excess of 2.5 tonnes - a kg or so extra on a proper cooking pot is hardly pushing it... :lol:

Any campervan as I've had my fair share are all heavy weights and I suppose I try and keep weight down and use more practical things as I can get and afford of course...
I use a very very good aluminium non stick set of 3 pots and a pan all packed into one little bag .. I can do a curry and rice as well in the bus as well as doing some veg on the mini burner in the awning as well and having the pan spare just in case ...lol
They clean easy , light ,pack into each other , don't take up much room and don't rattle about as well as heating up in a flash and respond to heat control perfectly :)
The same technology as they use in pro kitchens ,but maybe slightly smaller and with fixed handles they're not really after space saving ideas ... Lol

KernowLad said:

The dog - we tie her down with 14 straps and nail her paws to the ground... :rofl Thanks for the "safety" tips... :funny

Priceless :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

choplee said:
KernowLad said:

Any campervan as I've had my fair share are all heavy weights and I suppose I try and keep weight down and use more practical things as I can get and afford of course...
I use a very very good aluminium non stick set of 3 pots and a pan all packed into one little bag .. I can do a curry and rice as well in the bus as well as doing some veg on the mini burner in the awning as well and having the pan spare just in case ...lol
They clean easy , light ,pack into each other , don't take up much room and don't rattle about as well as heating up in a flash and respond to heat control perfectly :)
The same technology as they use in pro kitchens ,but maybe slightly smaller and with fixed handles they're not really after space saving ideas ... Lol

I was a chef for a while so I know best. Ner ner. ;) I've cooked for Suggs, Andrew Ridgely, a few footie teams and ermmm - yes I'm scraping the barrel now... :lol:

BerndRos said:
Can, and do men cook......?

:lol: :lol:

It seems weird - men seem best at being at the top of women's work. Famous hairdressers, chefs, clothes designers - all men (some questionably so).

If any women are reading this, I'm in big trouble.

Runs away...

I was a chef for a while so I know best. Ner ner. ;) I've cooked for Suggs, Andrew Ridgely, a few footie teams and ermmm - yes I'm scraping the barrel now... :lol:[/quote]

Wow.. K what a catch you must have been for the wife then ... I can see why you don't mind so much for practicality ,space saving ,weight in your Cali now ,as you was a kitchen chef there's not as much need for this ,but being an ex yachtsman and now a Cali owner these are all important issues :) ..
. I suppose thinking about it that's why they invented camping equipment ..???

Chef wrote: i was a chef for a while so I know best. Ner ner. ;) I've cooked for Suggs, Andrew Ridgely, a few footie teams and ermmm - yes I'm scraping the barrel now... :lol:[/quote]

Wow.. K what a catch you must have been for the wife then ... I can see why you don't mind so much for practicality ,space saving ,weight in your Cali now ,as you was a kitchen chef there's not as much need for this ,but being an ex yachtsman and now a Cali owner these are all important issues :) ..
. I suppose thinking about it that's why they invented camping equipment ..???[/quote]

Maybe I'm looking into this camping & Cali equipment to much and should just Get Jamie Oliver to kit out my Cali for cooking .. Lol

choplee said:
I was a chef for a while so I know best. Ner ner. ;) I've cooked for Suggs, Andrew Ridgely, a few footie teams and ermmm - yes I'm scraping the barrel now... :lol:

. I suppose thinking about it that's why they invented camping equipment ..???[/quote]

We try and make our Cali as much of a home from home as we can - so we have a permanent stock of loads of herbs and spices, good olive oils (yes three types!), proper sea salt, fresh pepper, etc, etc and the pot helps - it's no bigger than a half decent sized pot, just heavier. I understand going all out for weight saving if camping and lugging kit (which I've done a lot) but not when driving a barge of a camper! Similar on the inlaws yacht - they make sure they have decent kitchen kit but then again it is a 30 tonne boat so weight saving isn't an issue either.

I've seen titanium cookware for sale - I'll get some of that and attach a large safe to the back to secure the dog.

Is it a 30 tonne boat OR 30 tonne displacement, either way it would be a whopper.....what type of boat and LOA is it.....?

Paul,

Obviously how you kit out your van comes down to personal preferences to a great degree but one thing to be aware of is that VW recommend you don't use pots over 16cm diameter. Over that size, it becomes quite easy to melt the washing up bowl!

You can use larger pots but just be a bit wary of that one..

Back