Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cooking Pots and Pans

BerndRos said:
Is it a 30 tonne boat OR 30 tonne displacement, either way it would be a whopper.....what type of boat and LOA is it.....?

It's a Fisher 46 motorsailor. Custom made with 6mm steel so it's not far off an ice breaker! Think the LOA is around 50ft as it has a fairly large rear deck area. I think the actual weight is 30 tonnes so the former?!

405314_10150947794932805_1699954797_n.jpg

Posts got mixed ... To clarify I've never been a chef , but was crew on yachts in the day :) lol
I think Kerwonlad was a chef an a sailer or is

Nice boat.....bet it needs a fair size engine....1970/80's....?

BerndRos said:
Nice boat.....bet it needs a fair size engine....1970/80's....?

About five years old! First Fisher 46 made for 15 years and only about a dozen ever made. He searched high and low for something that suited and this was the only thing he found. He bought the moulds too.

The engine is just a 180bhp (six pot 3.6 litre I think) with Hundestadt variable pitch prop. Only does around 9 knots but its more of a chugga chugga machine than anything quick. Sails can all be controlled from below deck. I've "driven" it a lot but when it gets tricky, FIL takes over!

Chop - we have a boat but I'm way off being an experienced sailor! In fact we crashed our previous sailing dinghy (Cornish Crabber Coble) into some trees on the Fal proving our incompetence! We now have a little speed boat that goes where you point it!

What did you sail?

They were originally made in the 1970's....why, how, and for what reason did he buy the moulds.......?

BerndRos said:
They were originally made in the 1970's....why, how, and for what reason did he buy the moulds.......?

TBH I'm not completely sure but Northshore (?) owned them so he bought them off them before they went under. Basically if anyone wants a Fisher over 40ft, they have to "buy" the rights to use the moulds. I don't know any more details though and it did seem a bit mad to me! I think he was hoping to make some of the cost of the boat back.

Buzz Aldrin has one as does one of The Who band members apparently!

It was a big project and took forever to complete. Must have been 5+ years in total! It's a nice boat; seems very solid and well finished inside. Not really my thing but we enjoy having a play on it once in a while.

I sailed in a maxi class sometimes and did some classic racing in places like Antigua ... Most of mine was power sailing on mega yachts ..
Maybe we should start a different thread for sailing ??

As a Beach owner I have adopted a completely different approach, I simply turn up - look a bit lost - people feed me and I offer to help with the washing up...

I never have to pack pots and pans...

James

Custard said:
As a Beach owner I have adopted a completely different approach, I simply turn up - look a bit lost - people feed me and I offer to help with the washing up...

James

I'll agree with you on that one fella .. Just feed you or help you also with your fluid intake ...? Lol :)
We aim to please :)

choplee said:
Custard said:

James

I'll agree with you on that one fella .. Just feed you or help you also with your fluid intake ...? Lol :)

I think maybe the other half could get u a set of lightweight,compact,versatile pots n pans for Xmas :)

choplee said:
choplee said:
Custard said:

James

I think maybe the other half could get u a set of lightweight,compact,versatile pots n pans for Xmas :)

I was going to get a heavy duty cauldron and attach it to a VW Bike Rack :)

James

We took a Trangia 25-6 with us on our 10-week wander around Europe -

http://www.trangia.se/english/5612.25_series_ul.html

we replaced the meths burner with a gas burner and took a small backpacking gas cylinder. We thought this would allow us to cook outside (we didn't, as it turned out) or be useful as a spare in case our van 907 Gaz cylinder ran out - as it did 2 days before we returned.

The whole thing packs up compactly and lived under the back seat. There are 2 non-stick pots and a non-stick frying pan, plus an aluminium 'pot grab' of a very high quality - all much more solid than the Outwell set shown, which we bought and gave away. It was tinny and nothing like the Trangia quality. We didn't take the kettle, but took a bigger 'Blacks' one instead, but next time the Trangia kettle will be going and the bigger one will be staying at home.

You get what you pay for! The extra dosh for Swedish quality and proven efficiency was worth it, we think.

PS We always made sure we took the washing bowl out when using the burner next to it, following some previous advice on this forum.

JockMacMad said:
choplee said:
Maybe I'm looking into this camping & Cali equipment to much and should just Get Jamie Oliver to kit out my Cali for cooking .. Lol

I hear Jamie now uses a gas Cobb Lee ;)

Oh bugger ...!! Jamie has let me down again . Lol lol :)
I think I'm destine to get a gas Cobb .. Lol

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/imag ... &s=kitchen

We bought these Berndes pans and they are superb. They fit inside each other and the non stick is the best I have encountered.
They are more expensive here, I think I paid about £60 for the set. Look around, you won't be disappointed and great for saving space.

Well this is a pleasing addition! Outwell folding kettle- good capacity and fits in the sink :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362595484.145757.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362595503.504563.jpg

Linda said:
Well this is a pleasing addition! Outwell folding kettle- good capacity and fits in the sink :)

BTW, we got it from World of Camping for £28 inc (it doesn't seem to be in stock many other places yet).

We were tempted by the Wacky Practicals one, but just liked the style of the Outwell one more.

The Gelert one is cheaper at £19, has a whistle and doubles as a pan, but it was a lot bulkier (and is ali not steel).

Still getting rid of the silicone smell (wipe with vinegar then soak with bicarb seems to be working)...

you can also get the outwell collapsible stuff in Go Outdoors.

We have got the wacky practicals kettle, 2 full boils removed the silicone smell, and when I connected the gas last weekend and checked the hob, we had our first cup of tea in the Cali, from the collapsible kettle (on the drive of course!) and apart from a few puzzled looks from neighbours it was a great cuppa :D

Nicer in fact that what we normally would call 'camping tea', since the years boiling a steel kettle over gas doesn't ever seem to result in a normal tasting cuppa, the silicone kettle seems to fair much better.

At one point (within the last 3 weeks, with all the Cali excitement) I had to stop myself from buying everything and anything collapsible!

Back