Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What do you put where

I spent ages organising the perfect spot for everything, then getting uptight when the Mrs wouldn’t put stuff back where she found it.

We now just chunk everything anywhere, our trips are much happier.
Thanks for all the suggestions, I packed everything perfectly before we departed. Everything was exactly where it needed to be to optimise space and access.
But like willwander within 2 night Mrs and son had moved most things, so everything just ended up where it could

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the suggestions, I packed everything perfectly before we departed. Everything was exactly where it needed to be to optimise space and access.
But like willwander within 2 night Mrs and son had moved most things, so everything just ended up where it could

Take control, don’t let them near your packing. Everything in it place and a place for everything.

You know where I am coming from !!!

We have 3 of us in the van (my wife and I and our 3 year old daughter) and we’ve been away for up to 10 days at a time. Rough packing locations are:
Left hand kitchen cupboard - food and plates, bowls, etc. Plates and bowls are kept in a small box, although I do find this a bit time consuming to get stuff in and out of.
Also keep our toiletry bags in there.

Right hand kitchen cupboard - pans, aeropress, kettle, more food.

Under bench seat - wife’s clothes and shoes.

Overhead storage - daughters clothes and towel

Wardrobe - my clothes, normally in a couple of dry bags, plus single duvet and 2 pillows for downstairs bed

Top of back shelf - double duvet and pillows for upstairs. Also a small pop up tent for storing car seat, etc in when we stop for the night.

Under back shelf - box of shoes, jackets, etc. Normally a backpack carrier thing for my daughter, although she’s now getting a bit big for that.

Rear cupboard - bottom couple of shelves are stuff like EHU leads, jump leads, etc. Top shelf for jackets.

Haven’t decided what to store in the “spice rack” in the new van as yet.

Two questions
Does anyone know a storage bag that attached to the rear of the back seat but only hangs down to the bed extension and not the floor?

I'm also trying to work out a better way of packing everything we need for a touring holiday.

So where do you store bedding, pots and pans, food, clothes, etc

Any input will be gratefully received and go into the mix to find the best solution for us.

Organizing the van is a big part of the fun! Here you have some 380 posts about it ;-)

We have 3 of us in the van (my wife and I and our 3 year old daughter) and we’ve been away for up to 10 days at a time. Rough packing locations are:
Left hand kitchen cupboard - food and plates, bowls, etc. Plates and bowls are kept in a small box, although I do find this a bit time consuming to get stuff in and out of.
Also keep our toiletry bags in there.

Right hand kitchen cupboard - pans, aeropress, kettle, more food.

Under bench seat - wife’s clothes and shoes.

Overhead storage - daughters clothes and towel

Wardrobe - my clothes, normally in a couple of dry bags, plus single duvet and 2 pillows for downstairs bed

Top of back shelf - double duvet and pillows for upstairs. Also a small pop up tent for storing car seat, etc in when we stop for the night.

Under back shelf - box of shoes, jackets, etc. Normally a backpack carrier thing for my daughter, although she’s now getting a bit big for that.

Rear cupboard - bottom couple of shelves are stuff like EHU leads, jump leads, etc. Top shelf for jackets.

Haven’t decided what to store in the “spice rack” in the new van as yet.
Very helpful for a guy waiting for delivery of a ocean. Sounds like you’ll have plenty of room left under the bed?
I can’t personally vouch for them, but shortly after order I read these fit the spice rack...and bought them. One of many bits and bobs sitting in the spare room for a year!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QWSQRZD/?tag=eliteelect-21

Very helpful for a guy waiting for delivery of a ocean. Sounds like you’ll have plenty of room left under the bed?
I can’t personally vouch for them, but shortly after order I read these fit the spice rack...and bought them. One of many bits and bobs sitting in the spare room for a year!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QWSQRZD/?tag=eliteelect-21
Yes, we generally have a fair bit of space left under the bed. It's amazing how the space can be easily filled though! If we take bikes with us, we usually use a second plastic box to store all bike related stuff like helmets, shoes, spares, etc. But if we're packing light, the under bed space has usually got some spare.

We've had our Cali for about 10 months now and I'm still enjoying the refining process of what goes where. We have a different strategy for day van (i.e. most of the time), short trips (1-2 nights) and longer trips. We take an extra tent or awning for longer trips, so that means some stuff that is otherwise squirrelled away moves into boxes that can be stored out in the tent to make way for more clothes and food in the van.

My top tip for clothes is packing cubes in a different colour for each member of the family. Ours all go in the under-bench drawer.

We still don't have a good solution for shoes... they seem to be always in the way.

I should admit that I have a pretty massive box of discarded stuff that I bought while waiting for our van's arrival. I read lots of posts about avoiding buying too much, but I couldn't resist! I hate waste so will gradually bleed it into my friends/families camping things and/or repurpose.

As @Claremacrob after 10 months of ownership we are still refining our packing. We too pack for different types of trips day/short/long.

1. Food/wine in left hand kitchen cupboard and in fridge. Also tea towels/bin bags/etc in DIY drawer fitted in this cupboard.
2. Plates/cups/glasses/cutlery/etc in drawers in the right hand kitchen cupboard.
3. Pans/kettles/electric heater in large under seat drawer. Plus 2 containers for TBA.
4. Awning lights/Mosquito zapper/Travel adapter/etc in small under seat drawer.
5. Clothes in the wardrobe in Craghoppers packing cubes. Plus toiletries/first aid kit/hairdryer/etc on wardrobe shelves
6. Small storage boxes on full length shelf above kitchen and books.
7. In rear cupboard tools/bike lights etc/air pump/tow rope/toilet rolls/etc. Epever solar controller also fitted in here.
8. Pull out rear drawer has 4 Eurocrates. 2 for hook up cable and sundry electrical/hose pipe and fittings/tent pegs and awning tie downs/2nd gas bottle/toilet chemicals/etc. 2 other crates used depending on trip for walking boots/beer/wine/etc. Underneath the crates we store an additional table and windshield for use as a cooking station.
9. Over head locker has a couple of towels and not much else at the moment.
10. Box pushed under drivers seat with spare fuses/electrical tape/etc
11. On the rear shelf and depending on the trip go awning room/pucer screens/pop up toilet tent/windbreak/kador strip tarp/Cadac/groundsheet/etc
12. Shoe box (by side of bench seat) has fire extinguisher & fire blanket/our slippers/and a 4-port USB unit.
13. 2 x IKEA Sunersta rails on sliding door side of the van with a couple of containers/clothes hooks/toilet roll holder. (Brackets from BigTed on this forum)
14. Potapotti under a Dunelm Ottoman strapped to drivers seat (when on the move).

It’s bound to change again soon :)

Back