Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cost of fuel

I filled up my X Trail yesterday at £1.61 for diesel which was better than expected on outskirts of Norwich but garage literally 300 m up the road was selling for £1.83!!! Couldn't believe it and people were filling up!! If I had gone there it would have cost me £11 more to fill up!

Currently in the NW Highlands. Filled up at £169.9 at Morrison’s in Fort William yesterday. Anywhere from that up to £1.80 between there and Ullapool.

There just doesn't seem to be any consistency. We know supermarkets can offset higher costs but why are smaller garages so different?

Oil prices may have fallen for second day in a row, so will obviously see a corresponding fall in diesel prices at the same rate as it went up, errrrrm Hmmmm hold on!!!!! Funny how it goes up daily, never comes down as quick though.

Is anyone on here on the poverty line and can’t afford to put food on their table?
Quite confident nobody!
Having said that, it is understandable that, although the price of our democracy/peace/safety has gone up because not buying oil from Russia pushes the (crude/brent) oil price up, people are unhappy that the price at the pump is disproportionate higher than the actual increase in the price of oil, even allowing for some extra transport cost etc.
If the govt says, we are adding 20c per litre tax to afford helping Ukraine or boost our defense, people would accept that.
But people don't like being ripped off like at the moment, even if you are a millionaire.

Is anyone on here on the poverty line and can’t afford to put food on their table?
This is an interesting question. I think it would be highly unlikely anyone on here would publicly say they are broke and can’t afford food. Many replies would simply say sell the Cali! Whilst I’m glad to say we are not in poverty I can’t deny that it is becoming tougher to get by. We make less trips in the Cali and have made the decision to not use so much gas and electricity at home by not having a proper cooked meal everyday. We have soup instead so that we are still getting hot nutrition. How much more we can cut back we will have to see. If the Cali has to go in the end it would be heartbreaking but let’s hope it doesn’t come to that

Pop the "PetrolPrices" app on your phone to compare prices. Most folk know where their cheapest fuel is local to them, but the app could save you a few bob when your away from home

I don't think we should be rubbing anyone's noses in their personal concerns about fuel costs, even us wealthy (practically by definition) Cali owners. That said, the great majority of people living in poverty will of course be suffering much more from the rise in heating fuel costs than petrol/diesel. In Glasgow last week someone working for a front-line support charity told me they've just set up a 'duvet bank' to help the growing number of people who just can't afford to heat their homes at all at the moment.

£119.20 for 66 litres, Avg MPG 31.
Just wondering how much it’s costing for those peeps who have invested in bigger vans…

Just been going over my expenses for my Alps trip.
Most expensive fill up on the Autoroute was
£126.44 for 58.01 litres.

Average price in France across my fill-ups was £1.91 litre for basic Gazole.

Appears the days of cheap French diesel are long gone…

I don't think we should be rubbing anyone's noses in their personal concerns about fuel costs, even us wealthy (practically by definition) Cali owners. That said, the great majority of people living in poverty will of course be suffering much more from the rise in heating fuel costs than petrol/diesel. In Glasgow last week someone working for a front-line support charity told me they've just set up a 'duvet bank' to help the growing number of people who just can't afford to heat their homes at all at the moment.
No rubbing of noses here. Sure, it was meant as a rhetorical question to put things into context. Is a few pennies per litre of fuel such a huge issue in the scheme of things? First world problems.

Last edited:
This is an interesting question. I think it would be highly unlikely anyone on here would publicly say they are broke and can’t afford food. Many replies would simply say sell the Cali! Whilst I’m glad to say we are not in poverty I can’t deny that it is becoming tougher to get by. We make less trips in the Cali and have made the decision to not use so much gas and electricity at home by not having a proper cooked meal everyday. We have soup instead so that we are still getting hot nutrition. How much more we can cut back we will have to see. If the Cali has to go in the end it would be heartbreaking but let’s hope it doesn’t come to that
I had soup for lunch today too. Baxter’s Cream of Mushroom; delicious.
Sorry, is that passive agressive? Not meant to be…

Last edited:

It’s all a matter of balancing household budgets. Sustained higher prices could mean reducing mortgage overpayments or less cash to bung into kids’ ISAs for their house deposit in 20 years’ time. Or, Heaven forbid, shopping at Aldi instead of Sainsbury’s.

It’s all a matter of balancing household budgets. Sustained higher prices could mean reducing mortgage overpayments or less cash to bung into kids’ ISAs for their house deposit in 20 years’ time. Or, Heaven forbid, shopping at Aldi instead of Sainsbury’s.
Not Waitrose then?

Since retirement in 2005, we have spent a very large proportion of our time travelling in Europe and have become big fans of Lidl, even converting some of our U.K. friends.
Unfortunately, I always end up buying things that I didn't know I needed until I saw them.

or Aldi ( or any other supermarket) marked down section, no shame in helping reduce food waste I feel.

Back