Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cost of fuel

First world problems. Price of fuel least of your worries if you live in Ukraine. And as a new (or secondhand!) Cali is well north of £50k it seems an odd point to be worrying about a few pence on the price of a litre.
Commence flaming....

First world problems.
I quite agree. Spend your spare cash, you can't take it with you, or donate to causes that you support. There was a time when I kept records of the fuel consumption and service costs of all my fleet. Now, I just don't think it matters anymore.

What irks me is that as the price of oil rises the price at the pump goes up rapidly. When the price of oil drops, the FULL savings aren’t reflected at the pumps. It’s price gouging and it affects the price of everything from a loaf of bread upwards -The price gouging needs to be controlled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What irks me is that as the price of oil rises the price at the pump goes up rapidly. When the price of oil drops, the FULL savings aren’t reflected at the pumps. It’s price gouging and it affects the price of everything from a loaf of bread upwards -The price gouging needs to be controlled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
what irks me is that the price of a barrel of oil has gone up~30% at his top, fallen down after, but the increase in the price of a litre of Diesel, at least in Germany, has increased from 1,6€ to 2,4€, i.e 50% !
Of that initial 1,6€ , 60c are the actual Fuel and the rest is taxes many of which a fixed €c amount not %. So if the price of a barrel of oil has increased by 30%, I could even accept an increased cost of the fuel component of 50% (delivery cost etc) from 60c to 90c, for a total of 1,9€ per litre.
Other than the state getting more income through VAT from an inflated price, something doesn't add up..

what irks me is that the price of a barrel of oil has gone up~30% at his top, fallen down after, but the increase in the price of a litre of Diesel, at least in Germany, has increased from 1,6€ to 2,4€, i.e 50% !
Of that initial 1,6€ , 60c are the actual Fuel and the rest is taxes many of which a fixed €c amount not %. So if the price of a barrel of oil has increased by 30%, I could even accept an increased cost of the fuel component of 50% (delivery cost etc) from 60c to 90c, for a total of 1,9€ per litre.
Other than the state getting more income through VAT from an inflated price, something doesn't add up..
Governments are going to do all they can to fine more money to pay for health care, eccentric projects and now defence. Don't expect taxes to fall anytime soon!

And of course not forgetting a lot of people are going to have more problems than a few extra quid on their fuel fill-ups. From today's UN humanitarian bulletin:

"The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) estimates that ongoing hostilities could trigger an increase in international food and (livestock) feed prices between 8 and 22 per cent. The disruption of markets and food supply chains will likely have significant impacts on food security in Ukraine and beyond, including hunger hotspots like Afghanistan, Ethiopia, Syria and Yemen."

And of course not forgetting a lot of people are going to have more problems than a few extra quid on their fuel fill-ups. From today's UN humanitarian bulletin:

"The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) estimates that ongoing hostilities could trigger an increase in international food and (livestock) feed prices between 8 and 22 per cent. The disruption of markets and food supply chains will likely have significant impacts on food security in Ukraine and beyond, including hunger hotspots like Afghanistan, Ethiopia, Syria and Yemen."

I read somewhere, and cannot now find where, that Ukraine’s farms can feed up to 600 million people. I cannot be sure of that statistic, but even if nearly true, a lot of people shall be going hungry if Ukraine’s farmers don’t sow their wheat, corn, barley and sunflowers this year.

1647248578455.png
1647248613546.png

While on this digression from diesel prices. I just came across this: China believes its winter wheat crop could be the "worst in history".

So that's another of the Horsemen saddling up.

All of which tells you loud and clear why Putin wants Ukraine - hold the rest of us to ransom for fuel and food...

COP 26 is just a memory now eh? But the irony of it wasn't lost on me at the time. I recall calling into the services at Scotch Corner in the last week of Oct and being bemused why it was gridlocked with police vans, until the penny dropped. As we joined the A1 Southbound we stopped counting police vans from just about every constabulary in the UK. It was literally breathtaking at the amount of vans from Kent and Essex that were steaming to Glasgow to protect a conference that was going to protect the world from climate change.
In France I paid euro 2.23 a ltr a few days ago at a normally competitive place ..prices have dropped back s bit now I'm told

One has to ask why we're still so dependent on fossil fuels given that the industry has known about climate change since the 1970's. A smart world would've spent those 50 years succeeding with effective alternatives.

Then given the vast amount of wealth, power and pollution the industry generates it's no surprise that it's leadership attracts those geared more towards profit than humanitarian goals... And that sooner or later one of those who's wealth and power is generated by fossil fuels would try to use that dependence as a lever... Again.

If there was an electric car that could tow a caravan round Scotland I'd probably sell the campervan tomorrow, I'm that fed up with this reliance on fossil fuels, it needs to change.

Then given the vast amount of wealth, power and pollution the industry generates it's no surprise that it's leadership attracts those geared more towards profit than humanitarian goals... And that sooner or later one of those who's wealth and power is generated by fossil fuels would try to use that dependence as a lever... Again.
Yes, in Russia's case fossil fuels are a key element in the kleptocracy that sustains the regime... or IS the regime, actually. (As John McCain usefully described it in 2014: "A gas station run by a mafia that is masquerading as a country.”)

And this is a very good explainer of how Russia's natural resources are what makes the whole klepto-state edifice possible:

Last edited:
While on this digression from diesel prices. I just came across this: China believes its winter wheat crop could be the "worst in history".

So that's another of the Horsemen saddling up.
and...

//
Covid daily cases in mainland China continue to climb. New daily cases came in on Friday at their
highest level seen in over two years. Over the weekend, new daily cases climbed even higher in China, and Shenzhen has had to completely lock down the city. Manufacturing in Shenzhen and elsewhere in China will be negatively affected.//

One has to ask why we're still so dependent on fossil fuels given that the industry has known about climate change since the 1970's. A smart world would've spent those 50 years succeeding with effective alternatives.
In the 70's, Stanley Meyer made a car that could run on water unfortunately
whilst having a meeting in a restaurant with the motor industry big wigs, he
got food poisoning and died on the carpark, how unlucky is that.
We were nearly there..

We were nearly there..
A story steeped enough mis-direction, mis-information and outright fraud to make even an oil exec blush... :)

We were nearly there..
Ah, those Laws of Thermodynamics, they're just Guidelines really... :bananadance2

We were nearly there..
A car fuelled by water - joke surely. About as likely as Cold Fusion!!

Governments are going to do all they can to fine more money to pay for health care, eccentric projects and now defence. Don't expect taxes to fall anytime soon!
As long as bombs don't fall I am fine with taxes not falling anywhere. The situation in Ukraine is way worse than media can cover.
I can translate the russian soldiers' communications caught by SBU, how they kill and rape civilians if you want. Gets you less worried about fuel prices.

As long as bombs don't fall I am fine with taxes not falling anywhere. The situation in Ukraine is way worse than media can cover.
I can translate the russian soldiers' communications caught by SBU, how they kill and rape civilians if you want. Gets you less worried about fuel prices.
SBU?

Kind of Ukrainian CIA. Служба Безпеки Украiни.

Back