Status
Not open for further replies.
Martin

Martin

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I know we have quite a few people are thinking of selling their vans at the monent , I just wanted to say I have never seen so many enquiries from buyers go through on the California classifieds page on here over the past week ...

Could well be a good time to sell

I think it might, until the reality sinks in. Seems to be a supply and demand issue at the moment.

I want to sell my Cali but being resident in Wales a prospective buyer can’t come and look at it.

I want to sell my Cali but being resident in Wales a prospective buyer can’t come and look at it.

You could send them a video of the van, and photos of the service history etc.

We just sold ours via the classified to the first caller, we just emailed lots of pictures and videos plus had a professional valeter clean the vehicle than had it transported 300 miles to its new owner. This was all done remotely and an element of trust from both parties.

Last edited:
We just ours via the classified to the first caller, we just emailed lots of pictures and videos plus has a professional valeter clean the vehicle than had it transported 300 miles to its new owner. This was all done remotely and an element of trust from both parties.
I’m pleased it all went well for you but “element of trust” with a remote stranger is not something I would do. Especially with the obvious value involved. Maybe I’m too cynical.

I know quite a few of the sellers are doing video calls with potential buyers which is quite a good idea

We just sold ours via the classified to the first caller, we just emailed lots of pictures and videos plus had a professional valeter clean the vehicle than had it transported 300 miles to its new owner. This was all done remotely and an element of trust from both parties.

You must be bat sh1tt crazy to even think of parting with a vehicle without full payment first...

Please people, do not let your vehicles go without full and complete payment...
Saying that, I would not be sending anyone a large sum of money without thorough checks and seeing the vehicle first-hand...

Last edited:
That is brave. I’ve been wondering how to deal with the money, getting cleared funds into my account before letting the Cali go would be essential for me.

That is brave. I’ve been wondering how to deal with the money, getting cleared funds into my account before letting the Cali go would be essential for me.
Works best when both parties have online bank accounts, laptops/mobile.
Transaction can take place on the drive.
Transfer £1 first to ensure you have the right account details.
Once you confirm £1 has reached account, transfer balance.
Once balance has reached account, van can leave the drive.
The whole process can take less than 5 mins.
Be aware some banks have a daily or single transaction limit often around £25k, this can usually be upped by contacting the bank beforehand.

We had clear funds 5 days prior to delivery, and every stage was documented and photographed. Including loading and unloading the transporter.For info a bank transfer the same day is not 100% safe as can be recalled. This method wasn’t ideal but the deal was done just before lockdown so we had 5 weeks worth of conversation and numerous photos of every little detail and got to know each other quite well even being 300 miles apart. As we couldn’t meet in person due to travel restrictions we split the cost of hiring a professional and fully insured motor trade transport company who had strict instructions to only delivery to the home address and to the person I had photo I.d from. It can be done with the right precautions.

We had clear funds 5 days prior to delivery, and every stage was documented and photographed. Including loading and unloading the transporter.For info a bank transfer the same day is not 100% safe as can be recalled. This method wasn’t ideal but the deal was done just before lockdown so we had 5 weeks worth of conversation and numerous photos of every little detail and got to know each other quite well even being 300 miles apart. As we couldn’t meet in person due to travel restrictions we split the cost of hiring a professional and fully insured motor trade transport company who had strict instructions to only delivery to the home address and to the person I had photo I.d from. It can be done with the right precautions.
From Faster payments website, this is why You should put through a £1 test payment

Faster Payments are processed in matter of seconds and once your payment is sent, it cannot be stopped or reversed.

For this reason it’s vital that you are certain that you are sending a Faster Payment to the right account. Before you make a payment to someone for the first time, double-check with them that you have the correct account number and sort code.
If you do make a mistake (such as paying the wrong beneficiary, or sending the wrong amount), there is no guarantee that money can be recovered.

From Faster payments website, this is why You should put through a £1 test payment

Faster Payments are processed in matter of seconds and once your payment is sent, it cannot be stopped or reversed.

For this reason it’s vital that you are certain that you are sending a Faster Payment to the right account. Before you make a payment to someone for the first time, double-check with them that you have the correct account number and sort code.
If you do make a mistake (such as paying the wrong beneficiary, or sending the wrong amount), there is no guarantee that money can be recovered.

Yep, I can definitely recommend always trying a small online bank transaction first to make sure the link between 2 bank accounts is ok. Went from Birmingham to Aberdeen a few years ago to buy an RS3 and the sellers Bank of Scotland account didn’t seem to register any of the £1 transactions (we tried a couple of times). Fortunately his wife turned up after a while and mentioned she had a Nationwide account. After testing her account and all payments rcvd immediately we had paid the £24k and was on the road in 15 mins to everyones satisfaction.

The situation is somewhat better now the banks check that the payee name you've created matches that on the receiving bank's details. Nothing wrong with doing a £1 first, but this change is a useful improvement on the process.
(an aside thought.... I actually think there is a data protection issue with it, I incorrectly entered my roofer's name last week and the system said the details didn't match and offered me the correct name on the account. It looks as though you could phish for the account holders name if you know the ac number and sort code. Quite where that would get you I don't know, but seemed strange).

Top dollar being asked for some on flea bay.

Be aware some banks have a daily or single transaction limit often around £25k, this can usually be upped by contacting the bank beforehand.
Just bought out first Cali and did exactly this. However, rang bank to make transfer while sat on sellers drive

This week I made a payment of £20k online. The security checks were scrupulous - both on my account and the receipient.

In addition to the online checks I received a call from Natwest Fraud Department who further checked every element of the transaction. I was very impressed.

Now that a nice we border!

My phone suggests stories I might be interested in. This suggests some theorists here may be right.

I wonder if 6 months worth of Cali trading is going to happen in 2 months.... watch the forum clasifieds disappear.

Hi bigmac77 which california have you got that you want to sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back