Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coupling box and WLAN

Thanks Chris.
Copied the below from the description of the item in this link to keep things in one place.

Wi-Fi on board! The CarStick works as a hotspot for unlimited Internet use in the Volkswagen. Combined with the Discover Media radio navigation system, it creates a Wi-Fi hotspot in the vehicle. As it has its own SIM card (not included), the CarStick facilitates the use of the Wi-Fi hotspot and mobile online services independently of the smartphone connection (tethering). Therefore, users of smartphones without this function can also access the Internet without any problems. Advantage: the costs of the data services can be more precisely calculated. Better cost control can also be ensured when travelling abroad if the CarStick is equipped with a SIM card from the relevant country. Prepaid SIM cards are particularly useful for this. The CarStick can also be used according to the specific vehicle and country to create an online connection for mobile online services (Volkswagen CarNet). Simply insert into the car's USB port, and you're good to go.

Note:
Depending on your mobile phone tariff, additional costs (e.g. roaming fees) may be incurred by receiving data packages from the Internet, especially if used abroad. Volkswagen Accessories recommends agreeing a data flat-rate with the relevant mobile phone provider. Further information on using mobile devices and CarNet can be found in the Volkswagen vehicle handbook.

yes the one I got is the genuine vw crabstick you just add your own sim. Then plug it in one of the usb ports. But in the comfort box it sticks out so you can't shut the door so I put it in the top port and use a small usb extension cable. You then set up your hotspot info or keep defaults. As soon as it powers on it connects. Also give you a total and session data use so will see how much it's using. Have uploaded poi's via carnet and that all works as well.
Chris, was there anything specific you had to do to get the VW CarStick to work, or was it just plug'n'play?

I've put the Three internet dongle in the docbox USB port and it powers on (red light followed by blinking green) but I can't see it in the Discover Media system anywhere and Car-Net doesn't work (no data connection available).

So unless there is a specific setup you need to do to get the Three dongle working, it looks like only the VW CarStick will work :(

Uploading pictures of all the screens and carstick now.

So all I did was put a data sim card (full size) into the CarStick plug it in. It lights up then goes green (cant really see in the pic). The went to Menu and system settings and the pics below are what I get from the various screens. Hope this helps. It might be locked to VW usb sticks but don't have any others to test.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

So all I did was put a data sim card (full size) into the CarStick plug it in. It lights up then goes green (cant really see in the pic). The went to Menu and system settings and the pics below are what I get from the various screens. Hope this helps. It might be locked to VW usb sticks but don't have any others to test.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full
Thanks Chris, really helpful - I don't have a Network menu option in System Settings, so I'm guessing only the CarStick enables that. No cheap option for me! Looks like I need to find a CarStick on eBay...

Yep thanks Chris. Sam there are some up for silly price but you can pick one up for around the 60 mark. Which I agree is still VW silly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got my dongle from EBay. Arrived in a proper VW sealed package. Just need a Cali now.

Maybe this is a silly question, but all this wonderful technology that I am looking forward to, does it work with the ignition off?

Maybe this is a silly question, but all this wonderful technology that I am looking forward to, does it work with the ignition off?
Probably for 20/30 minutes at a time before it is switched Off by the vehicle brain to conserve the Starter Battery, as it does on the T5.:(

VW CarStick arrived this afternoon (from eBay ÂŁ60), plugged in and working fine. I now need to choose a SIM-only data tariff - looks like the Three 'Broadband - Pay As You Go + 12' is the best at ÂŁ30 a year for 12gb in most of Europe.

El Greco, I'll let you know how I get on with the ignition off this weekend.

Hi all, thanks a lot for the great info. I've decided to go down the USB dongle route too, and have ordered this from Amazon tonight:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J4E20GK/?tag=eliteelect-21

It's a 3G dongle with 1gb of preloaded data for ÂŁ8. The good thing about using 3's network is that it works in Europe at same cost/usage rate as in UK. I'm not going to use the van as a WiFi hotspot, so think I'll get away with relatively low amounts of data, but will be invaluable for the Internet-connected traffic updates and online POI searches.

I'll update this thread with how I get on in next couple of days.
It's now gone up to ÂŁ20 and lasts a month. I have a data only sim for ÂŁ15 a month from vodafone for 6gb as I bought it when they were doubling the data as part of my existing contract and you get a better price in store.

I'm feeling a bit thick about this (especially as I thought I was quite on the ball with this stuff). As a general approach I try to keep our camping trips as low-tech as possible - there's too much screen time at home so getting away is all about cooking outside and chucking sticks in lakes, though since secondary school started I believe I'm steadily losing ground to Instagram ...

I understand the benefit of the USB stick over phone tethering if you have an older / non-smartphone that won't provide a personal hotspot, or if you're buying a data-only SIM because your phone plan doesn't have (enough) data.

I don't think I understand the use-case though?:

- is this for the benefit of the van / nav system for updates and POI downloads?

- is it so multiple kids iPads and laptops can all get online more easily via the one SSID on my work iPhone data contract?

- does the special cubby-hole boost the reception of the phone being used for tethering?, using the van as an outsize aerial? We quite often camp on remote sites where there's often just a scrap of a cellular signal but no sign of 3G, I can see that'd be handy

VW CarStick arrived this afternoon (from eBay ÂŁ60), plugged in and working fine. I now need to choose a SIM-only data tariff - looks like the Three 'Broadband - Pay As You Go + 12' is the best at ÂŁ30 a year for 12gb in most of Europe.

El Greco, I'll let you know how I get on with the ignition off this weekend.
Just a nudge on this thread to see how people are getting on with the VW car stick. Connectivity and amount of data usage would be interesting. I still have no Cali, yet, but do have the data stick and will probably go the PAYG three route.

in about 1 month its used about 36MB, but not used it for a wifi hotspot yet. A few POI uploads and so POI we searches.

in about 1 month its used about 36MB, but not used it for a wifi hotspot yet. A few POI uploads and so POI we searches.
Thanks Chris. With the 12gb ÂŁ30 12 month contract with three that seems like a useful add on. Using it for the hot spot should be fine as long as you don't start streaming media. Look forward to giving it a try.

I'm feeling a bit thick about this (especially as I thought I was quite on the ball with this stuff). As a general approach I try to keep our camping trips as low-tech as possible - there's too much screen time at home so getting away is all about cooking outside and chucking sticks in lakes, though since secondary school started I believe I'm steadily losing ground to Instagram ...

I understand the benefit of the USB stick over phone tethering if you have an older / non-smartphone that won't provide a personal hotspot, or if you're buying a data-only SIM because your phone plan doesn't have (enough) data.

I don't think I understand the use-case though?:

- is this for the benefit of the van / nav system for updates and POI downloads?

- is it so multiple kids iPads and laptops can all get online more easily via the one SSID on my work iPhone data contract?

- does the special cubby-hole boost the reception of the phone being used for tethering?, using the van as an outsize aerial? We quite often camp on remote sites where there's often just a scrap of a cellular signal but no sign of 3G, I can see that'd be handy
So I've been waiting for an answer on this one as well but no joy... I'll continue just using the personal hotspot on my iPhone and wondering why this option is necessary...

So I've been waiting for an answer on this one as well but no joy... I'll continue just using the personal hotspot on my iPhone and wondering why this option is necessary...
I've been a bit confused with this one as well. The Car Stick makes the van a hot spot and several devices can use it to connect as wifi. Alternatively using an iPhone or similar as the hot spot the van can connect in the same way in reverse so it can use the connection for carnet etc. The benefit of the car stick really comes into its own when abroad and with a Three SIM card several devices can connect as wifi thus avoiding costly roaming charges for data.
Having thought it all through however I have decided to go for a Three mobile wifi. It gives me the same benefits as the Carstick, especially abroad, but is far more flexible in that it is not just restricted to the Van and I can take it with me anywhere and give me a wifi connection for my iPad (which only works on a wifi connection) in my car or anywhere else I choose. Also when abroad I can connect my iPhone, my wife's iPhone, my iPad and the van and have a wifi connection (assuming there is a 3G or 4g signal available) for all devices whether in the van or not.
I went for the 12 month contract with 20GB per month. Cost ÂŁ19 for the little router and ÂŁ23 per month. Not sure if I've made the right choice but it seems to work for me.

Thanks Nick at the end of the day it's good to have the options. I got this as an option to give, well options as you never quite know where technology is going. I have picked up a Car Stick and will give it a go as a standalone wifi connection for the Cali but also have the option of the iPhone with an all you can eat data package which can be used to tether. Time will tell which one I settle on.

An update as I now have it but little if anything to add to the above. About the only thing I have used the manual for but it states that the phone can utilise a built in aerial when it's sat on the pad in the compartment. I've yet to test it enough to establish if it does.

Regarding Carstick, setup was nice and easy and yes I can connect with it from laptop etc but I don't think I will as my phone is the better option with my existing all you can eat data package. I have though left it connected and it will probably be the default connection to carnet which will hopefully become more useful over time. Car stick may have more use in the future as a hotspot but it's really going to depend on usage restrictions on my phone. At the moment my all you can eat data is restricted to the UK and named countries but these include most I would usually visit. Some though are not and neither is making my phone a personal hotspot outside the UK, this may change.

Carstick may therefore be useful if I need to pick up a SIM for specific countries and I would then probably use it as the hotspot.
Hopefully I've not confused anyone other than myself with this post.

Mike

A bit of an update or I shall forget. Carstick has been plugged in for a month now with 12GB data. 12288MB.

I still use my phone as hotspot in the Cali with MacBook or IPad so no serious data use with Carstick. So far I've just used it to update car-net and experiment with sending POI to Satnav.

Finally managed to get SIM registered yesterday by sticking in an old phone and can now track data usage. 44MB used so far.

Mike

Hi to all,
A very interesting thread (I think) I say I think as my head was spinning before I read on this.. now it spins in the opposite direction..
(I will read a couple of times more as I think there have been some interesting solutions suggested)

Before I owned my camper I already had a setup similar to those Nick S mentions above. (Three mifi with 15gb data) it does function and is very flexible as Nick has mentioned and all inclusive in many countries.
I am seeing in reading some rather hi costs of vw offerings USB dongles, and boxes etc,
Am I missing something that my three mifi is unable to do?

I do have a phone with a sim from a different provider that also hooks up to the mifi for wifi calling.

Can anyone tell me the size of a carstick sim?

Standard, micro or nano?

Can anyone tell me the size of a carstick sim?

Standard, micro or nano?
Don't think it matters. All the sims I've bought recently are the 3 in 1 variety. You break bits off to match the sim holder.

Back