Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cover your bikes on the ferry

M

McMeefia

I'm sure this topic has been done before but ..
We took the ferry to Santander last year and we were put on the open part of the upper deck. The sea spray coated the van and bikes on the back, leaving a horrible sticky film.
The van needed a wash, easy enough, but the bikes suffered, especially the kids bikes.
We will be getting a cover for them this year.

Thanks for the tip. Any other advice for this crossing? Haven't ever done such a long ferry trip before!

Very few bike covers work with the cali as the handlebars will always be above the roof line, we have tried several and all flap around like anything.

As for the crossing, make sure you are on the Pont Aven as you will be down the bottom with the trucks if not tell the Brittany Ferries staff that you want to be inside, all that salt cant do the corrosion problem problem much good either.

I'm sure this topic has been done before but ..
We took the ferry to Santander last year and we were put on the open part of the upper deck. The sea spray coated the van and bikes on the back, leaving a horrible sticky film.
The van needed a wash, easy enough, but the bikes suffered, especially the kids bikes.
We will be getting a cover for them this year.
We are getting the economy ferry to Santander this year (fitted our timings) and want to cover 4 bikes on the VW standard back rack on the ferry deck to protect from saltwater spray. I totally get that the Fiamma bike cover would flap if driving but do they fit over 4 bikes on a VW rack cos if so it would seem like a good option to cover the bikes with just for the ferry as they are lightweight and take up minimal space...
I'm talking about the Fiamma Bike Cover S - can anyone tell me if they even fit? THANK you!!

I'm not sure that the "S" is suitable for 4 bikes. I still have a Fiamma 4 bike cover that we used on our motorhome, because of the mounting arms of the rack there is no way of closing the side of the cover closest to the van, it effectively is only a rear & sides. You may with a cali, be able to trap the top front edge of the cover in the seal for the tailgate at the top. If you intend driving with it on it acts as a very effective air brake, if you are going to take it off when you get off the ferry it will take up a bit of space.
If you are local you welcome to try / borrow my cover.

Have just checked on the fiamma web site, there is a version of the "s" that fits 4 bikes but against all the covers it says that they are not suitable for use where the rack protrudes above the roofline.

Just cover them when on the ferry and take it off at the other end then. I rarely keep my bikes covered when I'm driving, just when parked up and/or overnight etc.

Thanks for the tip. Any other advice for this crossing? Haven't ever done such a long ferry trip before!
Take "gingins" ginger sweets from holland and barretts great to settle the stomach. Wear sea bands from boots, eat small amounts regularly to keep your stomach settled. The food in the cafe is great.
There's something about the Bay of Biscay that wobbles the best of sea legs. It is extremely deep 200m so the motion is dreadful.
Above all make sure you look out for whales and dolphins, there are hundreds to be seen, particularly in the morning at first light on the way into Santander.