Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bikes / security

we took off our strada altera rack and Locked do it to a fence post then had the kryptonite D lock and another cable lock on them plus the carrier locks.
We have just invested in two long 10mm diameter cables, 4.5m and 3.5m long to lock our Bromptions, the boys' toy bikes and our Burley trailer together and to the rear carrier. They will defeat pliers, but bolt cutters would go through them like a hot knife through butter.

What scares me is that there is little to defeat a crook armed with no more than a van a good set of bolt cutters and a hacksaw. All the crook need do is park next to our van, cut, snip, cut, hacksaw off the arms and start loading the bikes into their van. Ten minutes later, and we are down about £3000 and the crook is up about £1000.

Pre-Cali......

We did a cycle-tour on our Specialized AWOLs, back in 2015. We flew to Oslo, took the train to Trondheim, cycled to Bergen, then train back to Oslo - for return flight home. On our last morning in Bergen, both our bikes were stolen from main train station cycle-park/racks. No CCTV at that particular bike-parking area. The cable locks were useless, we found them cut nearby.

We've since purchased ABUS Bordo locks, which attach nicely to the bike frames when not in use.

Incidentally, both bikes turned up, some weeks later. One was located behind a wall, and the finder went to great lengths to track us down via the bikes serial number (the Police were useless.) The second bike turned up on a classifieds webpage.... The seller even confirmed the serial number of the bike to us. However, the police failed to act, and the bike was then sold to an unawares buyer - Who then offered to return it to us, at our expense, once the full picture came to light.

We also use the ABUS Bordo locks to lock the bikes to the rear carrier, when parked/stationery, these are a pretty heavy lock and offer a small deterrent. Having been thru the "insurance claim" mill, bikes normally are not covered on almost all travel insurance policies. Separate bike policies are required, and they're not cheap. Plus, they insist on certain strength/classification of locks being in-place. You must keep receipt of the lock, and show a photo of it installed, were you last left the bike. There are also stipulations, on what you can lock them to. In the end, our insurance only paid out for the accessories attached to the bikes, not the bikes themselves. However, this was enough to cover my flight out to retrieve one of the bikes, and bring it home. Another big issue was trying to get the recovered bikes packed and shipped back from Norway, no courier wanted to do it.... As consignment either too heavy/large or because Norway wasn't in the EU, so customs clearance objections. All in all, a bit of an ordeal.... And ended up flying out to retrieve myself.

In hindsight, better locks should have been used and we should have checked CCTV coverage was available were we parked them, we were somewhat lured into a false sense of security as Norway is so safe. However, there is a massive drug problem, especial around the train stations in Oslo, Bergen etc etc.... It's because Norway doesn't offer methadone to users, like we do in the UK, so the opportunity for dealers is great.

Last edited:
In hindsight, better locks should have been used
One advantage with Bromptons is that if we leave the van for any length of time, the bikes can be fully folded, bagged and put in the cabin with the dogs. It would take a brave or brainless crook to break into a deadlocked van with two hyperactive border collies and then make their getaway through the smashed front windscreen with two Bromptons and a Burley tucked under their arms. A less brave or saner crook would simply look for an easier target. (I don't think that escape through the rear or rear side windows with widow bags installed would be likely).

Would love a pair of Bromptons, to add to our collection. We almost purchased a pair, for a cycle-tour of Japan - But it didn't come to fruition. Hopefully, some day tho!!

I was thinking to put our 2 MTB-frames inside the cali , and only the wheels on the bike carrier.
Anyone that done this already?

I think it's the best solution to have maximum space inside without having the risk to lose two complete bikes..

Yes Mrs Speleo's. Went to get the ruby and ended up buying the roubaix !,

Nice. Sounds familiar. I went in for the Roubaix, and came out with it, and a Sequoia for the Mrs. We ride a lot of gravel, so the Sequoia was a good call - Might have to get myself one next year. :happy

VIP Member
Messages3,888LocationBristolVehicleT6 Ocean 204 4Motion
teeboy said:
We have a tow bar mounted bike rack - this has a locking mechanism for each bike. If I am leaving the bikes at the campsite - I
Much the same and for odd occasions picked up a pop up utility tent to use as loo and to hide the bikes in

Hi, picking up on an old thread, just bought a foldable ebike which we want to take camping. We don’t have an external bike carrier so can’t use that for security, while it fits fine in the space in front of the bench while we’re travelling we will need to secure it outside the van overnight. Anyone have any tips, is there a point on the van we can secure it to?

VIP Member
Messages3,888LocationBristolVehicleT6 Ocean 204 4Motion

Much the same and for odd occasions picked up a pop up utility tent to use as loo and to hide the bikes in

Hi, picking up on an old thread, just bought a foldable ebike which we want to take camping. We don’t have an external bike carrier so can’t use that for security, while it fits fine in the space in front of the bench while we’re travelling we will need to secure it outside the van overnight. Anyone have any tips, is there a point on the van we can secure it to?
Have you got a towing eye at the back ? I use that and a kryptonite cable and strong lock. If not attached to van then a longer cable and the nearest tree or fence.
I also always cover it.

Here in the Netherlands last year the damages on stolen bikes was more than 600 mil. euros.
Explosive is the stolen market on ebikes, and race and mountain bikes, iwhich are mass exported by the thieves to east Europe.
Insurance the companies urge you to select an certification ART 2 bike or 3 Motorcycle lock.
Available are special tracker for bikes Some manufactures are installing these trackers as a standard option into the frame
So if you are worried that your bike could be stolen go for an ART-3 certificated lock.
Especially when you come over to a dutch city

Greetings

Mark

We have used a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain & Disc lock for many years with no issues.

Usually combine with a super long cable which goes through all wheels, frames, saddle frame, rack & van chassis (via tow eye, or, spare wheel lock) . Ensure all lock barrels are high as possible & difficult to access.

Would never leave bikes inside the van, otherwise you will have to deal with a broken window(s) & replacement bikes! Thieves don’t care how much damage is caused.

Although despite the above would avoid leaving any bike unattended in certain cities / towns, no matter how good the lock.

Also consider removing the battery to make it a little less like an ebike. A large part of the value of the bike is the battery.

Thanks for all the helpful ideas, I will investigate the idea of security cable and the towing eye, if we have one. Also a good suggestion to take the battery into the van. Looks like getting something with a ‘gold standard’ is the way to go too. Thanks all.

Ebikes locked together with various quality locks. Abus and Kryptonite have always been well regarded.
It’s hard to run off with a couple of E bikes locked together, due to the weight..
Shield lock is another annoying deterrent. Not the strongest locks, but a pain as the bike won’t roll along unless the lock has been disabled.

Thanks for all the helpful ideas, I will investigate the idea of security cable and the towing eye, if we have one. Also a good suggestion to take the battery into the van. Looks like getting something with a ‘gold standard’ is the way to go too. Thanks all.

62379dbb104f547e17e7fb1210513693.jpg

Many thanks for taking to the time to respond.

I'm still not sure there is an ideal solution? One of the attractions of the Cali is being able to go somewhere for the weekend on a whim and take the bikes with us. as well as biking, say we want to head out for lunch, a walk, whatever, I'd feel a little uncomfortable leaving £10k+ of bikes behind at a campsite (unless there were secure facilities) or locked outside to the bike rack? Would 2 adult bikes and a kids bike fit inside an Ocean do you think?
Hi Grant,
I understand your angst. I have an ocean and if I'm going leaving it and have bikes with me, sliding the rear bench forward to the maximum on the rails gives a fair bit of room in the back. I would be confident in getting three bikes in there but maybe having to remove the wheels.....A pal of mine races cyclo cross and after looking at my van was happy he would have no trouble getting his 2 race bikes stored in the back. Hope this helps. £10k of bikes sounds about right....;)

We have used a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain & Disc lock for many years with no issues.
Same here, albeit with the tiny D-lock version which also has room for an additional 15mm-thick cable when the chain isn't long enough. Through the van wheels if it's being left overnight. If the bike's on the rack and left in a car park etc., the chain goes through the frame and bike rack, then the cable goes around the frame and down around the spare wheel mount (which has a security bolt). The bike rack clamps also have integral locks, but they are universally less-than-no-use in actually preventing a theft.

Also, insurance cover on the bikes, and a good understanding of when/where they are/aren't covered.

Most bikes now over £1k are not insured unless the frame is bolted to a fixed point with a sold secure Gold bike lock.

Reading my cycleplan insurance on what constitutes a fixed securing anchor makes me reaching for the wine bottle and the telephone to ring the Samaritans all in one sweep.

If the Bike rack is secured to the vehicle and the vehicle secured with an approved security device then the bike rack constitutes a secure anchor. A sold secure Gold then needs to be fitted through the bike and the rack in such a way as the rack needs to go with the bike or the bike goes with the vehicle.

When I was camping this autumn I chose to forego the bike rack as an anchor and just linked two kryptonite around a tree to secure the bike to. I decided not to read my policy to check if the tree was excluded because it had Ash die-back or something :(

The one thing I always do, as recommended by others in this thread, is to remove the batteries. I recently researched the idea of carrying a spare battery with us and resolved that the best option was just to buy a spare bike instead, the price of a solo battery was eye-watering.

Last edited:
Hi Jen, thanks for this - do you mean something like this?

Using a kryptonite d-lock through the two loops on the cable? Presumably the cable could then be looped through the van wheel, for example, if there isn’t a handy tree? We won’t have a bike rack to attach it to.
Thanks.

Hi Jen, thanks for this - do you mean something like this?

Using a kryptonite d-lock through the two loops on the cable? Presumably the cable could then be looped through the van wheel, for example, if there isn’t a handy tree? We won’t have a bike rack to attach it to.
Thanks.

It's more about having enough of these to loop around strong healthy trees that are fitted to a Thatcham class 1 alarm and will self-destruct in 10 minutes if stolen. Only then will cycloplan or anyone else refund your dosh if the bike is nicked.

On the other hand you could just use common sense. If the bike is not nicked in the first place then you do not need insurance. Is the bike visible, will someone hacking through a cable draw attention, is it in a well - trafficked place or where someone will seem out of place trying to nick it?

A good chain, or the cable you suggest, something firmly rooted, on a campsite where "strange behaviour" will be noted?

I was at Ferry meadows CAMC site in August where the wardens took the trouble to come up and enquire about bike security. Apparently theft was rife, believe it or not mostly because people did not even secure the bike. Opportunist theft is still the biggest loss on a campsite.

Last edited:
A £10 pair of bolt croppers will be through that in less time than it took me to type this.

Ok as a visual deterrent for a cheap bike, but nothing more.

Have you any suggestions for a better solution to secure four bikes to a tree on a campsite?

For city centre use I have a good D lock and a motorbike chain. But on a campsite I use a long cable lock.

I had a bike stolen in 1995, since then I have worked on the principle that to make my bike secure it only needs to be less attractive thieves than someone else’s. On a campsite with loads of bikes left lying around unlocked, any lock is going to make it less attractive to a thief.

On the road we have two long cable locks wrapped around the bikes locking them to the rack, plus the poxy arm locks, but the outside bike gets locked by the rear wheel to the rack by the D lock.

Yes, someone could nick the entire rack and four bikes, but surely there would be easier targets not far away.

No not really, only that the thicker chains are far better than a cable. i only take cheap bikes away with us, the more expensive chains would cost more than the bikes are worth.

We get a lot of plant knicked from building sites and have yet to find an effective way of chaining stuff up

As you say - best approach is just to be better than everyone else & you will
Be targeted last.

We leave usually leave ours on the dismounted tow bar bike rack with a solid d shackle - whole lot weighs 60kg or so and awkward to pick up.

When I do take an expensive bike I tend to pop the front wheel off & lock it in the van.

If leaving bikes by the van It’s worth noting that the trailer socket on the van is alarmed, pretty easy to make up a cable loop on a trailer socket & feed it through the bikes. If it’s unplugged or cut the van alarm will go off.

Only the D locks have the sold secure rating, bronze, silver and gold. Chains and wires are apparently not rated for insurance.