Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bikes / security

We have a tow bar mounted bike rack - this has a locking mechanism for each bike. If I am leaving the bikes at the campsite - I take the bike rack off, then lock all the bikes back on the bike rack, then lock the bike rack to a tree/fence or something - not perfect but would certainly be a pain in the @r$3 to take - especially if you don't put the bikes on the rack in a neat way :)
That’s what i do in the hope that a thief armed with an axle grinder and driving a big van would be spotted

That’s what i do in the hope that a thief armed with an axle grinder and driving a big van would be spotted
A motion sensing alarm would also be a worthwhile addition. Key is to make the perp as conspicuous as possible.

We sold the bike rack that came on our Coast because we tend to use our Brompton’s when touring in the van ……. There has to be some advantage for putting up with 16 inch wheels a 3 gears :D :D

64882C89-2117-4C14-8FCA-2260CC92D911.jpeg

I have a 3 foot bike cable with hoops on each end. I loop that around a tree. I lean the two adult bikes against the tree then the two kids Isla bikes against them. I use a D lock to lock the two Isla bikes together looping through the cable.

If they want to steal a bike they need to cut the cable (a chain would be better I guess) and even then the Isla bikes would be D locked together so impossible to ride.

In the mornings when the kids in PJs want to ride their bike I unlock the D lock and they’re off.

It’s not failsafe but there has always been a tree in the last 13 yrs.

Also in 13 years the only thing that has gone missing from our pitch is a glass tea light holder. I routinely leave our van unlocked and if we leave it with the roof up I turn the alarm off. We use a pup tent and it’s packed full of chairs, tables, panniers, a new flash stove, beer, wine, kids clothes etc. I tend to believe most people on campsites are staying there and unlikely to steal.

We stayed in Hollands Wood a couple of weeks ago. There were signs up saying bikes had been stolen but I imagine they were unlocked.

Last edited:
We have a tow bar mounted bike rack - this has a locking mechanism for each bike. If I am leaving the bikes at the campsite - I take the bike rack off, then lock all the bikes back on the bike rack, then lock the bike rack to a tree/fence or something - not perfect but would certainly be a pain in the @r$3 to take - especially if you don't put the bikes on the rack in a neat way :)
For those with expensive bikes, this seems the best idea!

In addition to a chain and lock, I ensure that my cycle is covered, and have an alarm (ABUS Alarmbox) on the top arm that goes around the seat post. Even a little bit of movement and all 120 DB can deter anyone trying to mess about. Yes, you can only have deterrents.

With the bike covered top to bottom, it is a hassle knowing what all security is there under it ... and so in itself is a good deterrent.

On site, the bikes are usually on the rack and chained to it. PXL_20220803_173433797.jpg

We sold the bike rack that came on our Coast because we tend to use our Brompton’s when touring in the van ……. There has to be some advantage for putting up with 16 inch wheels a 3 gears :D :D

View attachment 97652
We cycled home from Switzerland on a pair of Bromptons.

Won't make that mistake again.

We did enjoy the bikes but, man, that was a struggle. And the missus fell off and broke her wrist on some old railway line across a road in Cologne. When she'd been patched up, she looked at me, in that way she has, and told me she was having an e-bike with big wheels when she got home.

We cycled home from Switzerland on a pair of Bromptons.

Won't make that mistake again.

We did enjoy the bikes but, man, that was a struggle. And the missus fell off and broke her wrist on some old railway line across a road in Cologne. When she'd been patched up, she looked at me, in that way she has, and told me she was having an e-bike with big wheels when she got home.

Last time we were in Provence there was some bloke cycling up Mt Ventoux on a Brompton, smoking a cigarette. We were well impressed

Last time we were in Provence there was some bloke cycling up Mt Ventoux on a Brompton, smoking a cigarette. We were well impressed
Lance Armstrong and an infusion bag in tow?

Fantastic — went trekking there in 2006 - would be a great bike trip.

Tried one of these (the cheaper one) complete with the red/white thing.

Complete waste of money on a van in my view — flapped and flapped so after about 8 miles stopped to secure it, by this time the red/white thing had disappeared. Continued drive to france (flapping less) but all ripped up by the time we got there. Might as well have had a parachute on the back of the van.

probably not a co-incidence that the advertising photos show this on the back of a motor home (where the bike is protected by the vehicle) rather than a van (where the bikes are higher Than Back of van hence parachute effect).

one (not too expensive) lesson learned!

B0B712F9-4458-4479-A3EC-9C2BBA3FB36A.jpeg

I find that a BikeParka XL, with ratchet straps over the wheels and under the rack to minimise flapping, works well for a single bike. If carrying both bikes then we have one that's more like a flat sheet with bungees down each of the long sides. We also lock them with the thickest cable we can fit through the rear towing eye, as an extra security measure when leaving the van unattended.

Complete waste of money on a van in my view — flapped and flapped so after about 8 miles stopped to secure it, by this time the red/white thing had disappeared. Continued drive to france (flapping less) but all ripped up by the time we got there. Might as well have had a parachute on the back of the van.

probably not a co-incidence that the advertising photos show this on the back of a motor home (where the bike is protected by the vehicle) rather than a van (where the bikes are higher Than Back of van hence parachute effect).

View attachment 98117
We bought one designed for tow bar bike racks from Bags and Covers Direct and it’s been fine. It’s survived long motorway journeys with no significant flapping and no damage damage. Bit of a faff to put on as it has several straps that go under the bike rack. I also put a couple of bungees around it as an extra measure.

0F00849B-AF1D-4A87-8C97-921CA5246F46.png

F329EB89-2AF6-4664-93D8-B71503250849.jpeg

View attachment 98117
we used a similar one on the back of our car when carrying two mountain bikes. It flapped too, but then I wrapped a few bungys to pull the cover over the wheels and it was fine. It proteced the bikes from spray/crap.

However, I figured they were mountain bikes and didnt need protecting, so haven't used it since. We also never leave the bikes/car so there's not a security issue.

If we were to leave the bikes on the (yet to arrive Cali) then I might be tempted to use the cover again.