Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Crack has appeared in bathroom wall

Glynn

Glynn

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi. Has anyone else had an issue with a crack in the bathroom wall? The crack is on the wall where the heating vent is located - Suddenly appeared, I am assuming it must have something to do with the heat from the Truma heater??B9B91BC9-93A0-40AA-B2BA-9AC287B2C76F.jpeg

Hello @Glynn,

I am sorry to see this issue. I can imagine it will be a huge project to get this sorted.

I believe I have seen this issue several times in Caliboard.de. Unfortunately I haven't follow all the posts so I don't know the outcome of the repair. The only thing I believe happened that one VW dealer tried not to accept this as a warranty case (I hope yours is still under warranty).

If this would happened to my Grand California I would inform immediately 1.) my VW dealer, 2.) VW Ireland (obviously in your case VW UK), and for good measurement, VW Nutzfahrzeuge in Germany.

I would demand from Volkswagen how they plan to fix this, how they avoid this happen in the future, how long it will take to repair.

Best of luck and let us know the outcome.

Regards,
Eberhard

Hello @Glynn,

I am sorry to see this issue. I can imagine it will be a huge project to get this sorted.

I believe I have seen this issue several times in Caliboard.de. Unfortunately I haven't follow all the posts so I don't know the outcome of the repair. The only thing I believe happened that one VW dealer tried not to accept this as a warranty case (I hope yours is still under warranty).

If this would happened to my Grand California I would inform immediately 1.) my VW dealer, 2.) VW Ireland (obviously in your case VW UK), and for good measurement, VW Nutzfahrzeuge in Germany.

I would demand from Volkswagen how they plan to fix this, how they avoid this happen in the future, how long it will take to repair.

Best of luck and let us know the outcome.

Regards,
Eberhard
Many thanks Eberhard. We have informed VW today - I will let you know how this progresses.

Many thanks Eberhard. We have informed VW today - I will let you know how this progresses.
Hi there are posts relating to cracks in the wall in this face book group.
Might sound drastic but if you have only just bought the van might be worth considering rejecting it.

13A5223F-71E7-4BED-9AD8-C70C10D0BCB3.png

Thank you - Useful information to have if VW became difficult.

Much appreciated
Glynn

Thank you - Really helpful

Regards
Glynn

Hi. Has anyone else had an issue with a crack in the bathroom wall? The crack is on the wall where the heating vent is located - Suddenly appeared, I am assuming it must have something to do with the heat from the Truma heater??View attachment 103706
Looks to me as if the heat defuser is either slightly misshapen or the hole is a tad to small then the hot air enlarges the defuser causing it to expand and crack the plastic walling and obviously a defect and should be a warranty issue.
good luck.

Thanks Jester. I would agree with your thoughts, definitely a heat issue. We have informed VW; however, are about to go on a long trip in the van; therefore, the issue will not be resolved until we return in mid May. I will update once I return.

This should be an easy fix for a competent plastic welder - I've had trashed motorcycle fairings repaired to 'like-new' using this technique so a minor crack won't be a challenge.

I definitely would not let the dealer take out and replace the panel as this will involve a significant amount of dismantling and I wouldn't particularly trust the dealer to get this right...

In the meantime use superglue at the end of the crack to stop it getting worse

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

This should be an easy fix for a competent plastic welder - I've had trashed motorcycle fairings repaired to 'like-new' using this technique so a minor crack won't be a challenge.

I definitely would not let the dealer take out and replace the panel as this will involve a significant amount of dismantling and I wouldn't particularly trust the dealer to get this right...

In the meantime use superglue at the end of the crack to stop it getting worse

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Thank you

Back