Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric side door

FredFlintstone

FredFlintstone

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi Folks,
So, the sliding door suddenly started playing up yesterday, started to close, then suddenly opened etc. Then it appeared to only want to operate from the inside catch, then earlier today there was a crack sound and this has appeared on the floor!

Can anyone identify what this is and what will need to be done to fix?
The door no longer electrically operates

Best regards

16972776541881935389432900989844.jpg

1697277671222432528742280222328.jpg

16972776875366151284449008294935.jpg

16972777185815110072682989853057.jpg

16972777369576172961032762835715.jpg

16972777475571677228506641405911.jpg

I am new to the forum, and to Calis, but this short but sweet thread is the very reason I signed up.

Amazing response to what looked like a tricky question

I am new to the forum, and to Calis, but this short but sweet thread is the very reason I signed up.

Amazing response to what looked like a tricky question
Hi Kev,
Agreed, the very reason why I'm part of this too
I'm hoping it's an easyish fix

I should have asked earlier, what website is this snip from please (seems a good parts resourse)? Also, can you recommend a good workshop manual (new Cali owner and keen to make informed decisions on repair approach)?

Best regards
If you register on the VW Erwin site you can subscribe for access by the hour and using your VIN number you can download all or some of the workshop and repair manuals for your vehicle in pdf format for off line use.

This is the system the Dealers use.

I should have asked earlier, what website is this snip from please (seems a good parts resourse)? Also, can you recommend a good workshop manual (new Cali owner and keen to make informed decisions on repair approach)?

Best regards
It is just a snip from Ebay.

I just took the logical approach that if the door had stopped working, the part must be have been linked to a limit switch, so a few minutes of google and image search came up with this part as the match.

A bit more digging last night shows that this part is a repair part that I don't think VW sell as a separate part. The assembly part number is 7H0843435 (Left) or 7H0843436 (Right) - if you search with these numbers the various repair parts appear, lots of companies offer the repair part above and also the switch separately. I suspect you have to drill out a rivet and re-rivet it, hence VW don't seem to offer it as a separate part. But clearly a common fault and a common fix.

A

(Edit - just another random internet image and I have put a red box around the bit that i think is broken)

1697358916234.png

Yep, it is indeed the part. Repair parts seems interesting. Will investigate further when we're back from camping.

Best regards

16974637518982393939535654309804.jpg

It is just a snip from Ebay.

I just took the logical approach that if the door had stopped working, the part must be have been linked to a limit switch, so a few minutes of google and image search came up with this part as the match.

A bit more digging last night shows that this part is a repair part that I don't think VW sell as a separate part. The assembly part number is 7H0843435 (Left) or 7H0843436 (Right) - if you search with these numbers the various repair parts appear, lots of companies offer the repair part above and also the switch separately. I suspect you have to drill out a rivet and re-rivet it, hence VW don't seem to offer it as a separate part. But clearly a common fault and a common fix.

A

(Edit - just another random internet image and I have put a red box around the bit that i think is broken)

View attachment 115496
Finally, the first image in this thread I can see!
We had some friendly mechanics swap our tyres for winter ones almost a decade ago on our 2007 Cali. As they put the summer ones in the living section and the giant in charge enthusiastically slid the door closed, there was the sound of of a pinging wire and it hasn’t worked automatically since - thankfully!
I actually bought the repair parts but then thought it through, did we really want that endless beeping every time you open the door on a campsite - pretty unwelcome in daylight hours never mind at night. Perhaps you can switch that beeping of on newer Calis, but for utility, I’m going to say I’ve pretty much never missed being able to “auto open” with a button/fob, and certainly never missed the noise. I will sell the part with the van when I do sell, but have no plans to “fix it” - it was “fixed” inadvertently by that giant mechanic - I forgot to thank him at the time!
Stephen

Back