Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Crap tools supplied with VW cali

I'm not sure that security wheel bolts are worth the hassle. I guess if you have expensive non-standard alloys they might be attractive to thieves, but is theft of standard alloys a common problem?

I get that the spare is at risk, that's a two or three minute job to remove with a stillson. But how likely is it that someone is going to jack up your van and pinch the other wheels? If they want to keep their jack, most likely they'll need bricks to keep the van off the ground. Sounds like altogether too much forward planning to me.

I've replaced the security bolts with standard ones on my last two cars. I also think that it's a good idea to check the wheel nut torque on a new car. In the good old days, that would have been done when you had your first service and oil change after a mere 1000 miles. I've found that tyre fitters these days are pretty good at tightening the wheel nuts to the correct torque - the most recent mobile fitter I used insisted that I watched him torque all the wheel nuts and signed off a chitty to say that it had been done correctly.

As I was in an AIRE outside a thumping great supermarket I picked up one of these
fb074ec3f3a49f81d466cf68fae45d8d.jpg

Had a quick test and I was just about strong enough to loosen one of the nuts so hopefully I shall be able to do the others.
Will do the lot over the next few days and refit with the torque wrench.

Mike

Why not just undo them with torque wrench rather than buying another spanner?

Because I'm paranoid and found in the past you can get an even amount of pressure on a bolt with one of the X bars. Mainly though not wanting to rely on anyone else to do it.

Mike

I think the x spanners are worth having if you don't know how tight the bolts are I managed to shear a stud by using a socket and lever bar on a car where the wheel had been fitted by some one else.

I've got a Teng Tools torque wrench and they say "DO NOT USE IT AS A BREAKER BAR
Torque wrenches are for measuring and should not be used as a breaker bar to shift stubborn fastenings."

Mind you, they also say that you need to get your torque wrench recalibrated if you drop it, which seems a bit OTT.

I have a breaker bar for undoing wheel nuts, which is a bit easier to store than a wheel brace.

I just wind the torque wrench up to 200nm when using it to undo wheel nuts. The only way it would get damaged is if it clicks off & then carry on forcing it.
If the nut/bolt won't shift at 200nm its time for the 3/4" breaker bar and 6ft scaffold pole.

Looks like I am carrying around the X bar as an extra then.
Parked up for the night now on good solid ground so using my torque wrench loosened all 4 wheels and retightened to 180Nm. (I reckon that's about what they were in any case), but worth the practice. Then a practice jacking of the Cali which is about as heavy as it ever gets.
A good physical workout and mentally a struggle getting the jack back in its nice fitted cover.

Changing the wheel myself will be the last resort unless under ideal conditions.

Mike

Looks like I am carrying around the X bar as an extra then.
Parked up for the night now on good solid ground so using my torque wrench loosened all 4 wheels and retightened to 180Nm. (I reckon that's about what they were in any case), but worth the practice. Then a practice jacking of the Cali which is about as heavy as it ever gets.
A good physical workout and mentally a struggle getting the jack back in its nice fitted cover.

Changing the wheel myself will be the last resort unless under ideal conditions.

Mike
The thought of getting the spare out and the punctured one back in on a wet muddy back road is a bit daunting.
I also carry a tyre inflator as a slow puncture could be repeatedly blown up until taken in for repair.

Both of mine unscrew fully, unless of course it's been changed on the T6.
My T6 left one has a ring on top of the bolt to stop it being completely unscrewed.

All services always use "air wrench". Never heard about any limitations with that.

I suppose I can't run my repair fulltime and going to a local garage tomorrow. Are normal punctures easily fixed and don't require tire replacement?
It was a simple damn stone, not even very sharp. These new tyres look too soft to me ;(
Michelin primacy 3
It depends where the puncture is. If it is the centre of the tread, then is can usually be plugged. However if the puncture is on the edge of the tread, the tyre will usually have to be replaced.

I have a pair of Primacy 3 on the front of my van for 2 years now with no problems. Still lots of wear left.

Alan

The thought of getting the spare out and the punctured one back in on a wet muddy back road is a bit daunting.
I also carry a tyre inflator as a slow puncture could be repeatedly blown up until taken in for repair.
Yep and me. That would be option number 1.

Mike

Speaking of jacks, has anyone ordered the heavy duty jack off the options list and how does it differ from the standard jack? At ÂŁ42 I wondered if it was worth a punt. Are VW intimating that the standard jack is marginal if you're confronted with a fully loaded van? Jacks are one of those things that you never give a thought to until it's a cold dark night and you would give anything for a nice hydraulic trolley jack.

Sad news , a X-key to undo wheelbolts is the first thing i put in when buying a new car !
The original supplied wrench keys are mostly poor disign .
The VW supllied jack i have used many times at home to swap summer-wintertyres in optimal conditions and do can see your point it's a hazzard to do in bad conditions , but any tyre change beside the road is diffrent.
Also those anti -theft bolts are frequent made in not that good quality.
Every bad thing you go thru brings up someting good also ...experience and knowledge...

Edit : also in every car i own i carry a pice of wood 20x30cm ....to put under the jack when on grass

Excuse my ignorance, but what's an X-key?

Yep and me. That would be option number 1.

Mike
I have pretty good one with double pistons. And I usually carry at least 2 extra batteries for a 12v boat motor so was easy to inflate to 3.5. Though you can imagine how fast it was deflating with a stone puncture not a nail that can stuck pretty tight letting no air out.
The guys at the tyreshop were pretty happy with my plug fix but recommended extra fix from inside considering the tyres are a week old and have like 30k to go.

Getting a bottle jack for the cali.
Anybody know the lowest height I should go for? I've measured around 21sm clearance on unloaded cali.

Back