Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Crazy charging system is driving me mad.

G-A-R-Y

G-A-R-Y

Vehicle
Grand California 680
My leisure battery is fully charged according to the victron app. This morning I start the engine and drive to the beach, display panel shows -16 amps taking my leisure battery down to 70%. Pressing the battery boost button just increases engine revs with no increase in voltage. I think the only way forward is to fit a B-B. I've tried using the heated screen and seats to trigger battery charging but nothing works. I think it's a poor system.

Today I drove to the beach, I pressed the battery button, 14.6 volts all the way to the beach. Battery fully charged in 20 minutes.1000021981.png

Hi Gary. If you are drawing 16amps, that’s a load of 192 watts. The screen shot shows you are drawing 23 amps which is a load of 276 watts. What have you got plugged in that’s drawing this load?

The most I’ve seen my 680 draw is about 4 amps, 48 watts, with everything turned on, and charging phones, iPads etc.

Yes, that's exactly my problem. Leisure battery was fully charged via solar. When I started the engine I had a 25 amp draw. In effect my leisure battery was now charging my engine battery. It took it down to 12.2v. Even pressing the battery boost button did nothing. But today boost worked and my battery was nearly fully charged driving to beach.
How do I explain this to a dealer.

Low stater battery and blue motion trying to balance it out?

Guide posted as shows BMT behaviour

Back