KalitheCamper

KalitheCamper

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
There is much more to Glastonbury than the festival. Glastonbury town is steeped in history. The Abbey dominated this area for over 700 years, and there is evidence of inhabitants since Neolithic times. Many buildings from the time of King Edmund who was coronated at the abbey in 1016 still remain. One being the fabulous George and Pilgrim, a great place to visit and eat. Henry 8th stayed here during his dissolution of the monasteries. On the less blood thirsty side, The Chalice Well Gardens is a beautifully peaceful place to visit and has been a place of pilgrimage for thousands of years., a place where Tennyson sat and wrote. It is said Joseph of Arimathea visited and buried two cruets containing Christ’s blood. True or not, for the entry fee of just £5, well worth a visit (note it is free occasionally including solstices). The tor is a steep climb but worth it if you are able, with great views over what is known as the ancient aisle of Avalon, for those loving myth and legend this area has links to Arthur, Merlin and the knights.
The town has plants of shops linked to all the myth and legend, but if this isn’t your bag, there are plenty of cafes, pubs and shops selling lovely insects, jewellery and unique furnishings (dilliway has some fabulous Indian imports for example).

Outside the town, yet near, there is Clark’s Village (a local shopping outlet village with stores like North Face, Boss, M&S, Levi’s etc). Cheddar Gorge is close by, during Oct and Feb there is the starling murmurations to catch. In fact, so much to do and see that I could go on and on, and still probably miss most things.

Van wise, the car park behind the George and Pligrim has a covered area that will take campers and motor homes alike, it’s £5 for a night and there are toilets and a shower available. Cheap as chips (literally these days given the price of a portion!). And then locally, there are several reasonable camp sites.

Curious Glastonbury Town, as interesting as it is unusual. Well worth a visit - Glastonbury, much more than just a festival.

IMG_6166.jpeg

View attachment IMG_0270.jpeg

View attachment IMG_0068.jpeg

IMG_7900.jpeg

IMG_5262.jpeg

View attachment IMG_0186.jpeg

IMG_0191.jpeg

Thank you for a really interesting article/post. I’ve wanted to go - this has bumped it well up the list

Totally agree. I love Glastonbury but would never go to the festival
Stayed at Old Oaks which was great.

We’ve been twice in 2 years. It’s the most unique, wacky town in the south west. But there’s something about it!

If you’re looking for somewhere to have a nice coffee, or some very tasty food, I can recommend FARA on Benedict Road. We’ve been twice. It’s a 5 minute walk from the High Street, but gets quite busy at lunchtimes so arrive early! Post code is BA6 9EX. They do cocktails as well.

Agree with above comments. But, “shops selling lovely insects” ???
I’m guessing this should be ‘incense’. If not, I really need to know more!
Haha - they may but not seen any, yes should be incense …

Back