Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Keeping Leisure Battery Charged at Festivals

Running your diesel engine for 45 mins a day will charge your battery but it may well not be looked upon favourable by your camper neighbours.
Absolutely. I'd certainly kick off, and imagine if everybody did it. Not the greatest thing for diesel engines either!

Many will probably be doing the same.
That certainly wasn't my experience at Latitude last year. I'm fairly sure that the wardens would stop this behaviour. The camp site was a 40min walk from the festival entrance so taking 2 or 3 hours out of the day to charge batteries wouldn't be practical. Glastonbury is probably worse. A 100Watt solar panel is the answer.

That certainly wasn't my experience at Latitude last year. I'm fairly sure that the wardens would stop this behaviour. The camp site was a 40min walk from the festival entrance so taking 2 or 3 hours out of the day to charge batteries wouldn't be practical. Glastonbury is probably worse. A 100Watt solar panel is the answer.
Why 2 or 3 hrs.?
I think you would find it takes a lot less than that to get sufficient charge in for 24/48 hrs.

Why 2 or 3 hrs.?
I think you would find it takes a lot less than that to get sufficient charge in for 24/48 hrs.
Assuming the aim is to do it when few people are at the camp site, one either has to wait till most have left for the day,, or come back half way through the day, or come back in the evening before most others do. All will take more out of the day than I would be prepared to sacrifice.

Assuming the aim is to do it when few people are at the camp site, one either has to wait till most have left for the day,, or come back half way through the day, or come back in the evening before most others do. All will take more out of the day than I would be prepared to sacrifice.
Whether you would be prepared to spend the time doing it is pretty irrelevant to the original question, which asked for ideas about charging without having a solar panel fitted. If the OP has important stuff in the fridge that they can't let get warm then charging for 45mins a day (or less if fridge temp is higher) is a solution to the problem if they want to, and the Glastonbury rules do not prohibit it anywhere I could see.

Things we do to save battery charge…

Having the engine running when opening and closing the roof. This saves quite a bit of charge as the current draw is high, around 4 Amps.

Assuming the fridge is cold before leaving home, at setting 4 or 5, then reducing to 2 or 3 at the festival, this minimises power drain. Also, finding a means of reflecting heat away from the van body where the fridge is sitting is worth doing. We’ve a cheap method, using magnets and a piece of flooring thermal underlay (1mm thick stuff from B&Q, left over from a project).

If you’ve got dash cams running they’re going to draw power. Put on to parking time lapse / power save mode, or turn off. They’re going to be running every few minutes otherwise due to passers by.

Running the engine for 45mins everyday, should give enough charge for the next day. It helps if you either use the max charge feature if it's a later van, or put seat heater on lowest setting in older vans which don't have the max charge feature. This makes the alternator charge harder for the 45 mins you have the van on.
I'm surprised that its not considered anti-social to run your engine in a stationary vehicle? Especially while parked in a campsite?

My answer was in response to a question asked to me and is therefore entirely relevant, unlike yours which adds nothing. It seems entirely relevant that the OP know of the possible consequences of following advice that several, (not just me), consider to be poor, unlikely to be tolerated, technically inadvisable, (unless you have Carista handy to force a regen), and which will eat into his very expensive day, (or worse).
The Glastonbury rules cannot cover everything and we could all come up with actions that are not included, are legal, but if performed would get one kicked off site post haste. Sueely the best solution s not to put stuff in the fridge that you dont want to spoil. But wait, how 'king important can this stuff be if solar is out of the question? See you next Thursday.
And generators are not allowed on site - buy if you want to be a pedant and risk it, then of course its up to you.

unlikely to be tolerated, technically inadvisable, (unless you have Carista handy to force a regen

. But wait, how 'king important can this stuff be if solar is out of the question? See you next Thursday.

Nigel

Technically in advisable - you really are having a laugh - it’s what the fast charge button was put there for by the manufacturers.

An educated guess based on my past experience is that should he run the engine for say 45 minutes for 3 days topping up the batteries:
1 as long as he’s not doing it when people are trying to sleep he will just be doing the same as hundreds of others.
2 the length of time spent with the engine idling for charging is insignificant compared to the time spent idling whilst queuing to get out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nigel
Technically in advisable - you really are having a laugh - it’s what the fast charge button was put there for by the manufacturers.

An educated guess based on my past experience is that should he run the engine for say 45 minutes for 3 days topping up the batteries:
1 as long as he’s not doing it when people are trying to sleep he will just be doing the same as hundreds of others.
2 the length of time spent with the engine idling for charging is insignificant compared to the time spent idling whilst queuing to get out
Idling a diesel engine is not something that is ever recommended, (it is considered to cause 2 times the wear of normal operations and most manufacturers consider it to be "severe duty"). When leaving stop/start should kick in, ("that's what its there for"). Furthermore, generators of any type are not allowed on the campsites, with those used to power the festival all using bio-fuel, (something a Cali can't do). The fast charge button, according to the manual, is there to charge the second battery when driving, not when standing idle, (which is not recommended). I believe that it also has the affect of increasing the idle speed which will further increase fumes, (it isn't just the noise). Have you ever been to a festival of this nature? I have, several times and have never witnessed this behaviour - the fact is that is that it is not common at all. The vehicles are packed in very close to each other and allowing a van to idle for 45mins will not be tolerated by either those close to you or the organisers.
Am I having a laugh? No, but it seems like you might be.

Idling a diesel engine is not something that is ever recommended, (it is considered to cause 2 times the wear of normal operations and most manufacturers consider it to be "severe duty"). When leaving stop/start should kick in, ("that's what its there for"). Furthermore, generators of any type are not allowed on the campsites, with those used to power the festival all using bio-fuel, (something a Cali can't do). The fast charge button, according to the manual, is there to charge the second battery when driving, not when standing idle, (which is not recommended). I believe that it also has the affect of increasing the idle speed which will further increase fumes, (it isn't just the noise). Have you ever been to a festival of this nature? I have, several times and have never witnessed this behaviour - the fact is that is that it is not common at all. The vehicles are packed in very close to each other and allowing a van to idle for 45mins will not be tolerated by either those close to you or the organisers.
Am I having a laugh? No, but it seems like you might be.
The start / stop will probably not operate when leaving, because it will detect the heavy current load required to recharge the very flat leisure batteries and disable start / stop until they are charged enough that the current drops.

When leaving stop/start should kick in, ("that's what its there for"). The fast charge button, according to the manual, is there to charge the second battery when driving, not when standing idle, (which is not recommended). I believe that it also has the affect of increasing the idle speed which will further increase fumes, (it isn't just the noise). Have you ever been to a festival of this nature?

Stop start won’t work if it detects your batteries are depleted.

Why would the max charge button increase the idle speed if it’s purpose wasn’t to charge the batteries at idle?

Yes I have been to plenty of festivals thanks, just wait till most people have left the camping area in the morning & it’s fine it’s what most considerate owners do, is keeping insulin cool enough of a reason for someone to want a fridge working?

No idea why the panic. The ocean batteries will last the festival. Just go and enjoy it. You wont be running the heater,hopefully, power saved, have the fridge on high and turn to 3 on arrival,more power saved, take power banks for phones. simple measures maximise your battery time.

Have you ever been to a festival of this nature? I have, several times and have never witnessed this behaviour - the fact is that is that it is not common at all. The vehicles are packed in very close to each other and allowing a van to idle for 45mins will not be tolerated by either those close to you or the organisers.
I’ve been to every Glastonbury since 2009 and I can assure you that it is fairly common.

Stop start won’t work if it detects your batteries are depleted.

Why would the max charge button increase the idle speed if it’s purpose wasn’t to charge the batteries at idle?

Yes I have been to plenty of festivals thanks, just wait till most people have left the camping area in the morning & it’s fine it’s what most considerate owners do, is keeping insulin cool enough of a reason for someone to want a fridge working?
Look at the manual. It explicitly states that the idle speed is increased and its intended use is to quickly charge the auxiliary batteries WHEN DRIVING. Ask VW why, but my guess is that charging continues at a high rate if stopping for a short while in traffic, (the stop/start function is also disabled). Also, if its that important to keep the fridge working then why discount the most suitable option or invest in an eco-flow solution. BTW my understanding is that stop/start is independent of the leisure batteries unless the quick charge function is used; now I might be wrong but even if I am it's irrelevant.

Given the recent deaths and serious illnesses proven to have been caused by diesel particulates, the climate change crisis, the carbonising of the engine, (and potential other damage), the clogging of the particulate filter etc, etc that this is considered by some to be a sensible solution, (unless they are "boomers" who just don't care about anyone but themselves).

I probably haven't seen this behaviour because when its being done I'm out there enjoying the festival. Or maybe I am right and it's not that common.

Anyway that's me done. I've wasted too much time on this, my data is about to run out and my contract doesn't renew till 22nd. See you then, (if I can be bothered).

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the manual. It explicitly states that the idle speed is increased.

Exactly, the idle speed is increased so you can charge the van faster whilst it’s left idling.
It’s what it’s designed for.

Exactly, the idle speed is increased so you can charge the van faster whilst it’s left idling.
It’s what it’s designed for.
What part of "WHEN DRIVING" do you not understand?

Now that really is me done.

What part of "WHEN DRIVING" do you not understand?

Now that really is me done.
Calm down, you are getting in a bit of state over nothing!

Leave the van stationary turn on the engine and press the button, amazingly the idle speed increases to speed up the charging process. As I said, it’s what it’s designed for. What have I missed?

Given the recent deaths and serious illnesses proven to have been caused by diesel particulates, the climate change crisis, the carbonising of the engine, (and potential other damage), the clogging of the particulate filter etc, etc that this is considered by some to be a sensible solution, (unless they are "boomers" who just don't care about anyone but themselves).

That’s pretty hypocritical, a diesel van user attending a festival that produces thousands of tonnes of waste, calling out other people for using diesel engines.

Here's what the manual has to say on the subject:

Maximum battery charge

The 230-V supply with the battery charger charges the additional battery from the outside 230-volt electrical feed. The current charge level of the additional battery is displayed in the start screen Central control panel start screen.

In order to completely charge the additional battery when driving independently of the vehicle functions, you can activate the maximum battery charge function.

The function increases the idling speed of the engine. The fuel consumption may increase as a result.

Switching maximum battery charge function on and off

The maximum battery charge can only be activated when the engine is switched on.

Switch on the engine and the central control panel.

Tap the Max. charge menu.

The Max. charge menu is highlighted in yellow and the symbol appears in the header.

The function switches itself off automatically when the additional battery is fully charged.

Tap the Max. charge menu again to switch it off manually.

Or: Switch off the engine.

The Max. charge menu is highlighted in grey and the symbol disappears from the header.

If the function is switched off manually while the engine is idling, the engine speed will be reduced again only after you briefly press the accelerator.

To me, VW's intent in the second paragraph is along the lines of "If you want to fully charge your battery without EHU"

It certainly doesn't read as an operational limitation and I have some experience in extracting operational limitations from manuals.

Andy's suggestion to calm down is likely a good one. Everyone here will have noticed your climate stance and respect that.

Last edited:
Back