Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cycle carrier ramp - anyone?

newboldi

newboldi

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi, I have a Thule Wanderway 4 bike cycle carrier on the back on my T6.1 Ocean - works great! The issue is we have a couple of electric MTB's and my wife is struggling to lift them on to the back...even with the battery removed. I've seen there are ramps you can buy to help however, I only see them for the tow bar mounted racks. Has anyone found something that works for this or do we need to get her a gym membership!!! :)

Thank in advance...

Hi, I have a Thule Wanderway 4 bike cycle carrier on the back on my T6.1 Ocean - works great! The issue is we have a couple of electric MTB's and my wife is struggling to lift them on to the back...even with the battery removed. I've seen there are ramps you can buy to help however, I only see them for the tow bar mounted racks. Has anyone found something that works for this or do we need to get her a gym membership!!! :)

Thank in advance...
Well if you can't lift them and your wife can't either then probably time to invest in a towbar and towbar rack. Then you could use a ramp.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Well if you can't lift them and your wife can't either then probably time to invest in a towbar and towbar rack. Then you could use a ramp.
I can lift them fine...and I do have a tow bar however, trying to avoid the need to spend another £400 on kit I don't need. The ramps are ~£50

Theres four things to consider here:
1. The bikes
2. The Rack
3. The Ramps
4. The wife

As you don't want to change 1 or 2, ramps that high are not available, that really just leaves you with changing the wife for a stronger model.

I think you would be doing well if you can get away with changing her for less than £400 so a new rack may be a better option.

Thank in advance...
Sell the rack you have, they are in demand so should get a good price, and get a tow bar rack. You will end up about even.

Theres four things to consider here:
1. The bikes
2. The Rack
3. The Ramps
4. The wife

As you don't want to change 1 or 2, ramps that high are not available, that really just leaves you with changing the wife for a stronger model.

I think you would be doing well if you can get away with changing her for less than £400 so a new rack may be a better option.
Wife says she’s keen to go for £500!!!! Thanks for the ideas

Sell the rack you have, they are in demand so should get a good price, and get a tow bar rack. You will end up about even.
Hmm…I do prefer the mounted rack rather than tow bar though. More thought needed…

Thank in advance...
My parents sometimes borrow our california for holidays. They are in their 70's. They own e-bikes they like to bring along. They tried lifting the e-bikes onto our bike carrier but it was too much of a hassle. So they used their own tow-bar bike rack while keeping our bike rack in place. It's a possibility but you'd still have to get a second bike rack.

The only other option I can think of is using a step. It won't make the e-bikes less heavy but might make it easier (quicker) to lift them, as your wife wont have to lift the bike above her head. We found the hardest part was not to lift the e-bike of the ground but to precisely manouver them onto the bike rack when your arms are extended over the rack which is too high if your not that tall.

Something like this that folds so you can easily bring it along in the van? It doesnt look sturdy but I have one at home and it actually is quite decent.

1200x1078.jpg

"It doesnt look sturdy but I have one at home and it actually is quite decent."
I broke two of these little stools and am using a metal one now

Back