Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cyclists: Scourge of the streets?

The mass "Ride Out" seems to becoming rather too popular amongst younger cyclists in some areas. The idea seems to be to ride on mass around a town or city flouting as many rules as possible and causing as much disruption as they can. This form of low grade urban terrorism appears to be the latest manifestation of the so called "scourge".

News clips and video footage of this happening in Cities started to appear some time ago. The only difference that I can see is that the riders now appear to be much younger.

So riding badly without due care and consideration for others or for the rules of the road is not just the preserve of the selfish, pig headed, cycling anarchist, it's now been passed down to the next generation. Still at least the little dears are keeping fit!

Before anyone starts spitting bullets, my view is that the vast majority of cyclists do ride sensibly and follow the rules and that's to be applauded but my impression is that the numbers that don't are growing.

Last edited:
The mass "Ride Out" seems to becoming rather too popular amongst younger cyclists in some areas. The idea seems to be to ride on mass around a town or city flouting as many rules as possible and causing as much disruption as they can. This form of low grade urban terrorism appears to be the latest manifestation of the so called "scourge".

News clips and video footage of this happening in Cities started to appear some time ago. The only difference that I can see is that the riders now appear to be much younger.

So riding badly without due care and consideration for others or for the rules of the road is not just the preserve of the selfish, pig headed, cycling anarchist, it's now been passed down to the next generation. Still at least the little dears are keeping fit!

Before anyone starts spitting bullets, my view is that the vast majority of cyclists do ride sensibly and follow the rules and that's to be applauded but my impression is that the numbers that don't are growing.
You ain't seen nothing...

Quite probably the most selfish and discourteous cycling ever.

I've driven and cycled loads in 40 years but have never been more nervous as a cyclist than now, maybe it's an age thing but facts are that I get a 'close pass' every time I'm out and regular games of chicken when vehicles seem to accelerate towards me on a single track road ignoring the passing place. If I get a chance to speak to said driver I enquire 'why are you trying to kill me?'

Saw a good editorial in our bike club mag though:

“There is so much negative stuff in the media and on TV about the apparent ‘war’ between cyclists and motorised vehicles the truth is becoming distorted (Channel 5). Most people are reasonable and considerate, so do not believe the hype. The best way to change the conversation is by positive reinforcement. Motorists show me acts of kindness every day, giving way, passing with plenty of room, sometimes a friendly wave. When people are friendly or behave well, give them a cheery wave or thumbs up. Wave drivers past when they are nervous of passing on country roads (when safe to do so). On really narrow roads occasionally pulling over does no harm. When people act like muppets ignore them, do nothing. Positive reinforcement will do more good than any fist waving at the bad minority.”

Interesting post on STW (cyclists forum).

Unanimous self condemnation of experienced MTBs on a shared path who experience a close miss with oncoming pedestrians on a blind corner (I think its now been cut from the video so cant comment). However its good to say that the "indefensible" is not defended by a group with the same interest.

"Cyclists aren’t the ‘scourge of the streets’. They are mothers, fathers, grandparents and children all doing their bit to make Britain a healthier, greener and more liveable place".

If only that were true! The reality is that most might be but "all" are definitely not.

"Cyclists aren’t the ‘scourge of the streets’. They are mothers, fathers, grandparents and children all doing their bit to make Britain a healthier, greener and more liveable place".

If only that were true! The reality is that most might be but "all" are definitely not.

The point he’s making is that cyclists are people of all sorts - he’s digging at the prejudice (grossly displayed by that cheap TV prog.) which takes individual bad behaviour and attributes it to the whole group.

The point he’s making is that cyclists are people of all sorts - he’s digging at the prejudice (grossly displayed by that cheap TV prog.) which takes individual bad behaviour and attributes it to the whole group.
Yes, I'm aware of the point he's making. I did say that most cyclists are behaving as he described but that individual bad behaviour is now so wide spread that it cannot be dismissed so lightly.

Oh Borris - individual bad behaviour is there in drivers, motor cyclists, walkers, horse riders, bus drivers, taxi drivers and even mobility scooter "drivers" and especially the more gigantic motor homes and caravans who block up narrow single track roads. Cyclists are no worse - and in many cases better as in the case of an accident they are normally the ones who come off much worse.
I suggest a visit to Holland or, say, Berlin to see what a cycling friendly city could be like and then compare it with places like Bristol, London or Glasgow ( Pollokshaws road is something 'special' on a wet and windy evening in November). And then do something like try to take a bike on a train or two - I dispair...

I've driven and cycled loads in 40 years but have never been more nervous as a cyclist than now, maybe it's an age thing but facts are that I get a 'close pass' every time I'm out and regular games of chicken when vehicles seem to accelerate towards me on a single track road ignoring the passing place. If I get a chance to speak to said driver I enquire 'why are you trying to kill me?'

Saw a good editorial in our bike club mag though:

“There is so much negative stuff in the media and on TV about the apparent ‘war’ between cyclists and motorised vehicles the truth is becoming distorted (Channel 5). Most people are reasonable and considerate, so do not believe the hype. The best way to change the conversation is by positive reinforcement. Motorists show me acts of kindness every day, giving way, passing with plenty of room, sometimes a friendly wave. When people are friendly or behave well, give them a cheery wave or thumbs up. Wave drivers past when they are nervous of passing on country roads (when safe to do so). On really narrow roads occasionally pulling over does no harm. When people act like muppets ignore them, do nothing. Positive reinforcement will do more good than any fist waving at the bad minority.”
Wise words indeed. I am a cyclist and I wholeheartedly agree that I am also quite traumatised at the thought of cycling on todays roads . I think the introduction of the mobile device has made driving and cycling far more dangerous than it ever was on it’s own.However if I was to catch up to a driver who shaved my elbow at 40 mph by a few “thou” I don’t think I would be considering much positive reinforcement.

A very interesting thread. But I don’t think the problem is cyclists. The problem is far worse than that. I think society today is getting more selfish and suffering from rampant paranoia and greed and a whole host of negative traits and these manifest themselves in many different ways.

A very interesting thread. But I don’t think the problem is cyclists. The problem is far worse than that. I think society today is getting more selfish and suffering from rampant paranoia and greed and a whole host of negative traits and these manifest themselves in many different ways.
Agree. Society is becoming less tolerant and people seem to be more prone to aggression and a belief they are entitled.

Oh Borris - individual bad behaviour is there in drivers, motor cyclists, walkers, horse riders, bus drivers, taxi drivers and even mobility scooter "drivers" and especially the more gigantic motor homes and caravans who block up narrow single track roads. Cyclists are no worse - and in many cases better as in the case of an accident they are normally the ones who come off much worse.
I suggest a visit to Holland or, say, Berlin to see what a cycling friendly city could be like and then compare it with places like Bristol, London or Glasgow ( Pollokshaws road is something 'special' on a wet and windy evening in November). And then do something like try to take a bike on a train or two - I dispair...
You state the obvious. The fact that some people using other forms of transport are also badly behaved is not in contention. Those responsible also need to moderate their behaviour. However, that wasn't the subject of this thread.

There are plenty of people queuing up to defend the cyclist and I have no problem with that just so long as it is recognised that badly behaved cyclists are becoming a significant issue in some areas. The very fact that there is an ongoing heated debate about this issue backed up by much video evidence suggests that this should at least be acknowledged and not dismissed as being "no worse".

You state the obvious. The fact that some people using other forms of transport are also badly behaved is not in contention. Those responsible also need to moderate their behaviour. However, that wasn't the subject of this thread.

There are plenty of people queuing up to defend the cyclist and I have no problem with that just so long as it is recognised that badly behaved cyclists are becoming a significant issue in some areas. The very fact that there is an ongoing heated debate about this issue backed up by much video evidence suggests that this should at least be acknowledged and not dismissed as being "no worse".

I don’t think the issue is any worse. In fact the whole reason for poor behaviour by cyclists being so noticeable is that it is so rare. Teenagers today are far more likely to be sedentary in front of a games console than terrorising a senior generation on their bikes.

I quite agree. It's why headphones are banned at most running events. quite dangerous, even with aftershokz bone conductor headsets. Apart from anything else though no point me having earphones as the noises I make gasping for breath would drown them out o_O

My big beef with cyclists are the lack of an audible warning. My bicycle at least has a bell,
Is it not the case that all cycles have to have a bell by law?

They have to be sold with a bell and lights. Nothing in the law to stop people removing them.

They certainly have to be sold with a bell and front and rear reflectors, and if sold with pedals, pedal reflectors. They don’t need to be sold with lights, but if used at night lights must be used and there are various flashing options permitted.

They certainly have to be sold with a bell and front and rear reflectors, and if sold with pedals, pedal reflectors. They don’t need to be sold with lights, but if used at night lights must be used and there are various flashing options permitted.

So, to ride bicycle without lights at night is against the law?

I never realised I live in such a lawless area :shocked

There are at times I feel as though I am on an obstacle course driving at night and having to avoid dark-clothed individuals appearing suddenly out of the shadows with no lights and perfect camouflage :sad

Lights are an individuals responsibility. A bit like taxing and insuring a vehicle. Reflectors are a legal requirement when selling a bike. The assumption being that there is a min provision if the persons doesn't purchase lights.

I think one issue is that whilst agreeing that video evidence does indeed suggest an increase in poor cyclist behaviour, there is far more video evidence of poor motorist behaviour, so much so that there is plenty of footage to fill several TV series on the subject - yet no one is saying “Motorists : Scourge of the Streets” simply because a decent motorist like all of us (I assume) recognise those incidents of poor motoring to be the act of a careless or selfish idiot .
The point previously made stands up - some people are the scourge of society, sometimes maybe in a bar showing bad behaviour and sometimes on a bike or driving a car.
I’m also guessing that the feeling that any of this is getting worse is exacerbated by the fact that over the years there has been more and more opportunity to grab video evidence of it - phones, Go-Pro’s , Dash Cams etc

I see it like this. Having fired a few weapons in my life I was truly "taken in" by the Browning 9mm (Even put the GPMG and H&K MP5 to shame). It made me feel empowered.

I feel that this is the issue with drivers these days. Once in their car, van or HGV, they are master, ruler, judge and in some instances executioner. Nothing gets in the way, even logic is dispensed with. They are in the right and how dare anyone suggest otherwise. Their vehicle is their kingdom, it offers them protection and courage in equal amounts. It's their kryptonite.

It must be protected and its honour upheld. For it, they have to pay and as a result, those who do not, in their perception, have no right to share what's rightfully belongs to the group known as the ..................Righteous Motorist

Last edited:
I see it like this. Having fired a few weapons in my life I was truly "taken in" by the Browning 9mm (Even put the GPMG and H&K MP5 to shame). It made me feel empowered.

I feel that this is the issue with drivers these days. Once in their car, van or HGV, they are master, ruler, judge and in some instances executioner. Nothing gets in the way, even logic is dispensed with. They are in the right and how dare anyone suggest otherwise. Their vehicle is their kingdom, it offers them protection and courage in equal amounts. It's their kryptonite.

It must be protected and its honour upheld. For it, they have to pay and as a result, those who do not, in their perception, have no right to share what's rightfully belongs to the group known as the ..................Rightfulness Motorist
It certainly feels like the NRA in here sometimes

I don’t think the issue is any worse. In fact the whole reason for poor behaviour by cyclists being so noticeable is that it is so rare. Teenagers today are far more likely to be sedentary in front of a games console than terrorising a senior generation on their bikes.
Not in London. I even had one bring his bike into my office lobby and steal an Apple laptop out of the flat above the office. Mind you they were having a party and left the door open so they didn’t have run up and down to let their guests in. :rolleyes: