Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dark campsites

jess

jess

VIP Member
We are looking for some dark campsites to make use of our brand telescope ( new hobby ) living on the town we just have too much light pollution so we thought we would try and find some campsites that would be good for an amateur astronomer.

Thx

Jess x

I guess anywhere away from population centres will be an improvement. But the problem with a lot of larger sites with good facilities will be that they are lit-up like a Christmas tree all night. Farm campsites are often better.

It's a long way to go but we had a great trip to the Hebrides a few years ago. You can stop overnight in pretty much any lay-bys. There are lots of tiny beach car parks (many with toilets / water) and you will almost certainly be the only person there. The problem in Scotland of course is that you might have to wait a while for a clear night ;).

Is Kielder not an official dark sky something or other (technical term alludes me)

We stayed at East Fleet Farm (forum partner) and saw several telescopes outside caravans. You could also try caravan club CL sites, the ones we've used are usually away from major light pollution, Lincolnshire is also good for darker skies.

You don't say where you're based @jess but we stayed at the Great Langdale Campsite in the Lake District over new year & it was pitch black, we even struggled seeing where we were going on the way back from the pub!

If you go to a "dark area" and the campsite has all night lighting then you're still no better off, so best to ring the the campsite and check their lighting policy.

The Galloway forest is great. Not many campsites but they're dark!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Higher Longford, near Tavistock (Camping and Caravan Club site). Great site, and the skies are pitch black - best night skies I've seen anywhere.