Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dash Cam hard wiring

Richard Hurst

Richard Hurst

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
had Halfords hard wire my dash cam in today but I think they’ve done something wrong. They used the fuse box under the front passenger seat. It has power to it but does not automatically switch on when the van is started, which it is supposed to do. I’ve included a picture below. Does anyone know what fuse space it should be allocated to??

4AA40ECC-D61B-4725-AB2F-9AAE6CE1A252.jpeg

All those are permanently live off the leisure batteries. They have piggy backed off the 10a lighting dimmer fuse.

If its a one wire camera it is looking for a rise in voltage to assume the engine is running and you should still get that with a delay when the charge relay closes. if it needs an ignition live then it should be wired into the fuse box in the dash under the cup holders.

There may be a setting on the camera for the voltage sensitivity?

Last edited:
Hmm I was thinking that those fuses were something to do with the leisure battery. Is the fuse box under the cup holders easily accessible?

Hmm I was thinking that those fuses were something to do with the leisure battery. Is the fuse box under the cup holders easily accessible?
Your details don’t say what model you have but guessing its new (lack of detritus in your photo) :)
So you need to open the bottle cooler then reach in and pinch the clip inside and pull the whole bottle carrier out to see it.

If the camera has a 2 wire feed (you don’t say what camera) they may have wired the permanent live off the leisure side and you may find another in the dash fuse holder, if that is the case they may have picked the wrong fuse under the dash as some are switched live and some permanent.
If it has 2 permanent feeds it will be running all the time.

Just downloaded the manual and it is expecting a switched live and contains its own battery for shutting down and starting up. And also uses its internal battery for recording whilst in parking mode.

Just downloaded the manual and it is expecting a switched live and contains its own battery for shutting down and starting up. And also uses its internal battery for recording whilst in parking mode.

So he definitely needs to come off the fuse box behind the cup holder then. So it’s a trip back down there tomorrow!

Thank you. Where do you think he should plug into??

I would choose..... SC36 the washers fuse. 15a top middle, if he uses the small piggy from the hardwire kit, it also only needs a 5a fuse for the camera not a 7.5 like in your photo.

Last edited:
Update. Went back to Halfords this morning to point out the error and 20 minutes later all sorted and wired into the right place. Thank you once again.

Reactions: Loz
Back