Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dash Camera

RayH

RayH

Vehicle
T6 Coast 150 4Motion
Before I reinvent the wheel, does anybody know of an accessible power supply that switches on/off with the ignition, to power my dash cam?
The cig-plug stays powered constantly which is not ideal for this purpose.
Maybe in the roof console?
Thanks.

Before I reinvent the wheel, does anybody know of an accessible power supply that switches on/off with the ignition, to power my dash cam?
The cig-plug stays powered constantly which is not ideal for this purpose.
Maybe in the roof console?
Thanks.
Some have wired into the Roof Console but I used a Piggy Back Fuse hard wire kit onto an Ignition On fuse in the Dashboard Fuse Box and ran the wire under the Dash, up behind the A Pillar trim and across the top of the Windscreen. On mine I used a 5 amp, I think, fuse that powered the Heater/AirCon fans that goes live with Ignition ON.

Some have wired into the Roof Console but I used a Piggy Back Fuse hard wire kit onto an Ignition On fuse in the Dashboard Fuse Box and ran the wire under the Dash, up behind the A Pillar trim and across the top of the Windscreen. On mine I used a 5 amp, I think, fuse that powered the Heater/AirCon fans that goes live with Ignition ON.
Looking into it myself and some require consistent power as they monitor the van/car 24/7 which worries me a little regards drain.

If you access the fuse board behind the dash centre 'wine cooler', there are 3 columns of fuses. I wired a Garmin DC56W using 2 feeds + earth there - if I remember, centre is ignition switched and right hand is constant 12V.
The Garmin doesn't draw much current when in 'car park' stand by mode, plus it protects the battery with a low voltage cut-off.
If you need more info, either reply or have a look in the downloads section for the fuse board details.

Martin

Looking into it myself and some require consistent power as they monitor the van/car 24/7 which worries me a little regards drain.
Wire into the Leisure Circuit and use a Solar Panel to top up?
You could use a fixed or portable dash top panel. You could use the Engine Battery with a similar panel.

I decided not to hardwire our dash cameras. We run ours off the leisure batteries:- rear plugged into the pug alongside the rear bench seat - never us that socket for anything else as not a very useable plug socket. The front is plugged into the socket on the side of the kitchen. All wiring behind the trim. The rear stays turn on 24/7 the front stays plugged in but I turn off at home as facing a wall. We use the van daily and find there is no issue with power drain from the leisure batteries. Sometimes there is an advantage of seeing what is going on around you van without a "bump" sensor turning on the camera.

An example I posted the other day in view from my Cali when I saw a car parked very close to my van.

Last edited:
Halfords hard wired ours whilst I had a coffee in M and S next door. The technician was ex VW and I think it cost around £20.

My BlackVue is powered from the leisure batteries via a switch (don’t want it recording while we are camping or when it is parked in the garage) and picks up a switching feed from the ignition system from a fuse in the dashboard.

Alan

Yes there’s live, ignition live and earth in the roof behind the control panel: read post #4 here and the first 6 paragraphs of mine at #69

Back