Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Data usage in a VW T6.1 California Ocean

I did sign up to Cubic Telecom initially - I seem to recall it was free for a month. It worked ok once I figured out the log in. But I haven’t bothered renewing it. If you are in the van with your smartphone it does everything a built in SIM does for you as far as I can tell - its only a data connection. I also have Apple music and it streams through Carplay perfectly over bluetooth, including asking Siri via the voice activation button on the steering wheel.
The only reason I can now see to buy the cubic data is to use unlock/lock functions on the we connect….without this I can’t seem to use the vehicle specific functions. But everything related to the streaming/ map updates I have done either by connect to home WiFi when parked at home, or hotspot with phone and use data from that.

so far I could not justify the extra cost just to unlock the vehicle with the we connect app. Assuming I have got this but right….it does seem good value at all.

The only reason I can now see to buy the cubic data is to use unlock/lock functions on the we connect….without this I can’t seem to use the vehicle specific functions. But everything related to the streaming/ map updates I have done either by connect to home WiFi when parked at home, or hotspot with phone and use data from that.

so far I could not justify the extra cost just to unlock the vehicle with the we connect app. Assuming I have got this but right….it does seem good value at all.
As discussed elsewhere on here, those of us with MY21 vans can’t lock/unlock via the app anyway! But I do get data updates from the vehicle and I can make it flash turn signals from the app. So I am not sure WeConnect functions are dependent on a Cubic data connection?

As discussed elsewhere on here, those of us with MY21 vans can’t lock/unlock via the app anyway! But I do get data updates from the vehicle and I can make it flash turn signals from the app. So I am not sure WeConnect functions are dependent on a Cubic data connection?
It’s is strange. I get vehicle updates and map locations, can see windows and tailgate closed etc, can see fuel and mph for trips. But things like unlock and lock require a data purchase via cubic.

it couldn’t be more confusing if it tried

It’s is strange. I get vehicle updates and map locations, can see windows and tailgate closed etc, can see fuel and mph for trips. But things like unlock and lock require a data purchase via cubic.

Does the app give the option to flash indicators and horn? And if so does that work?

Correct.

If you’re van is a MY21 vehicle, you won’t get remote lock/unlock and remote auxiliary heater via WeConnect. Data connection is irrelevant i’m afraid.
MY20 and MY22 both have this functionality.

If you’re van is a MY21 vehicle, you won’t get remote lock/unlock and remote auxiliary heater via WeConnect. Data connection is irrelevant i’m afraid.
MY20 and MY22 both have this functionality.
It is my20. But the remote aux heater function isn’t there even though it should be!

That’s not down to data, it’s model year 2021 - the function wasn’t enabled for some reason.

I don’t think anyone has the remote heater via VW connect irrespective of year.

Does the app give the option to flash indicators and horn? And if so does that work?
The option is there but have to buy data to change them. It does however tell you if the vehicle is locked or unlocked.

so almost all of the useful features work ..without paying?!

The option is there but have to buy data to change them. It does however tell you if the vehicle is locked or unlocked.

so almost all of the useful features work ..without paying?!
How do you know you have to buy data to make it work? Do you get a message back on the phone that you are trying to operate it from? I’ve not bought data and it works fine on mine

How do you know you have to buy data to make it work? Do you get a message back on the phone that you are trying to operate it from? I’ve not bought data and it works fine on mine
Yes same here - and @GrumpyGranddad by the sound of it - what I meant was do any of the functions triggered by the app work for @Explorer?

If you have an unlimited data plan that’s absolutely fine but obviously in areas with no decent 4G coverage you’ll be stuffed. Suggest you download a whole load of your favourites onto your phone i.e. Spotify. Or you can load up a memory stick and plug it into one of the USB ports by the gear shift (you may need a USB adaptor).

View attachment 85252
Thanks for the advice. I could do a bit of all of the above. I have a shed load of adapters already, so that's all good. I was looking forward to using CarPlay though.

I know it does in ours! :) I meant on @Explorer’s van
Before the cubic data ran out the functions like unlock and lock , horn and signals all worked fine. Once out of contract these stopped. All the other things on the app work without the cubic data.
Even though it is a my20 the aux heater was never an option on the app - I believe it is meant to be. But have seen a lot of users having issues with this particular function

I don't think you will find it data heavy on short trips, streamed music files are not huge. For long trips you can download to a playlist on your phone via wifi at home in advance. We also download from Netflix or Amazon video for the kids to have movies on their tablets. Just needs a bit of planning :thumb
Yes, I do download videos onto the iPads for trips. Was hoping to use the CarPlay though, but I'm adaptable.

Thanks for the advice. I could do a bit of all of the above. I have a shed load of adapters already, so that's all good. I was looking forward to using CarPlay though.
Carplay is excellent in my opinion.

Yes, I do download videos onto the iPads for trips. Was hoping to use the CarPlay though, but I'm adaptable.
So for music you can still access your iPhone music library and playlists via Carplay. I just meant you can save some data by downloading the files to the phone when on wifi. Obviously then you don’t need a 3G or 4G connection. But with 3G/4G you can stream from Apple Music via Carplay (and see album art etc in both displays):

Before the cubic data ran out the functions like unlock and lock , horn and signals all worked fine. Once out of contract these stopped. All the other things on the app work without the cubic data.
Even though it is a my20 the aux heater was never an option on the app - I believe it is meant to be. But have seen a lot of users having issues with this particular function
Well if the system relies on onboard data for that functionality it seems very odd when MY21 models don't (albeit with no lock/unlock). I am now wondering if it could be a configuration issue - I would maybe try deleting the vehicle in WeConnect and setting it up from scratch? If that doesn't work It might be worth asking the question on the T6 forum?

We do use Carplay for Spotify, Google Maps, Waze, Telephony, etc.

My Review of Cubic and We Connect for a T6.1 for what its worth.
Its taken me a while to figure out exactly what's going on here, this is the best VW software I have ever used, but even then it's not as intuitive a UI as my iPhone.

WeConnect is a stand alone service that allows you to monitor driving data and make your indicators flash on and off if you've lost your car in a car park. As a free service it is fine I wouldn't pay for it as it does very little to add to the driving experience, for example you can't set up your heating or lock and unlock the van.

Cubic is a data provider that utilises the eSim built into the van, the same one that VW use for free on the WeConnect service. It just provides internet access to the Infotainment system. The implementation is a little clunky e.g. if you goto to 'Shop' it still insists you have no data, but you do, I subscribed online for a free trial. The connection works well in an area where my phone data can't get a signal.

The system can also connect to the internet via a Wi-Fi connection to your house or even through your mobile phone if you set it for use as a personal hotspot. So that's 3 different ways of getting internet to your console, Cubic, Wi-Fi or Personal Hotspot.

Once connected you can stream music from the internet either through internet radio stations or Apple Music or Tidal subscriptions.

The second part of the system is that it can act as an internet router itself, so all of your travellers can connect their devices to the internet via the media system. The great thing about the media system is that it provides many ways to crack a data nut. Unfortunately it takes the data nut right off you as soon as you switch off the ignition.

My use case in the UK will be to ignore the Cubic data connection and use Apple CarPlay exclusively, giving the media player a data connection of its own offers zero advantage.

My use case in the EU will be to engage the Cubic data connection and stream media that way, its currently free! Long term I will use an eSim package deal I bought in France that is installed on my iPhone and leave that on as a personal hotspot. I imagine the best use case is to buy a MiFi and let everything attach to that including the car, that way all your fellow travellers can use the internet independently.

In summary, the Cubic data connection could be useful if your phone doesn't offer similar services, the fact that it switches off with the ignition makes it of very little use to the driver.

My Review of Cubic and We Connect for a T6.1 for what its worth.
Its taken me a while to figure out exactly what's going on here, this is the best VW software I have ever used, but even then it's not as intuitive a UI as my iPhone.

WeConnect is a stand alone service that allows you to monitor driving data and make your indicators flash on and off if you've lost your car in a car park. As a free service it is fine I wouldn't pay for it as it does very little to add to the driving experience, for example you can't set up your heating or lock and unlock the van.

Cubic is a data provider that utilises the eSim built into the van, the same one that VW use for free on the WeConnect service. It just provides internet access to the Infotainment system. The implementation is a little clunky e.g. if you goto to 'Shop' it still insists you have no data, but you do, I subscribed online for a free trial. The connection works well in an area where my phone data can't get a signal.

The system can also connect to the internet via a Wi-Fi connection to your house or even through your mobile phone if you set it for use as a personal hotspot. So that's 3 different ways of getting internet to your console, Cubic, Wi-Fi or Personal Hotspot.

Once connected you can stream music from the internet either through internet radio stations or Apple Music or Tidal subscriptions.

The second part of the system is that it can act as an internet router itself, so all of your travellers can connect their devices to the internet via the media system. The great thing about the media system is that it provides many ways to crack a data nut. Unfortunately it takes the data nut right off you as soon as you switch off the ignition.

My use case in the UK will be to ignore the Cubic data connection and use Apple CarPlay exclusively, giving the media player a data connection of its own offers zero advantage.

My use case in the EU will be to engage the Cubic data connection and stream media that way, its currently free! Long term I will use an eSim package deal I bought in France that is installed on my iPhone and leave that on as a personal hotspot. I imagine the best use case is to buy a MiFi and let everything attach to that including the car, that way all your fellow travellers can use the internet independently.

In summary, the Cubic data connection could be useful if your phone doesn't offer similar services, the fact that it switches off with the ignition makes it of very little use to the driver.
UPDATE:
The free 1GB of Cubic data has a good strong data connection.

However

In three days of having it activated and driving nowhere it has eaten through 70% of the data allowance 700Mb. I haven’t got the first clue what that was used for.

In two hours of driving through France we have used a further 100Mb streaming Apple Music tracks. That means we will run out of data before day one is over.

I will not be renewing the data package with Cubic …… ever!

UPDATE:
The free 1GB of Cubic data has a good strong data connection.

However

In three days of having it activated and driving nowhere it has eaten through 70% of the data allowance 700Mb. I haven’t got the first clue what that was used for.

In two hours of driving through France we have used a further 100Mb streaming Apple Music tracks. That means we will run out of data before day one is over.

I will not be renewing the data package with Cubic …… ever!
Did system updates eat the 70%?
I think I have a 3-year (?) package with Cubic included with my Nav pro. When that is spent - is there a way of going with someone other than Cubic and using the van as a hotspot with a data connection, rather than buying another mifi router?

(just re-ready your helpful first post - I can lock/unlock my MY22 with WeConnect)

Did system updates eat the 70%?
I think I have a 3-year (?) package with Cubic included with my Nav pro. When that is spent - is there a way of going with someone other than Cubic and using the van as a hotspot with a data connection, rather than buying another mifi router?

(just re-ready your helpful first post - I can lock/unlock my MY22 with WeConnect)
I did what I could to prevent that, I attached Vinnie to the home wifi first and initiated all of the updates and waited.

The last 250Mb just disappeared without any music playing.
I would have to subscribe with cash to investigate why and how it drizzles out so fast. No chance of that.

Back