Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Data usage in a VW T6.1 California Ocean

Did system updates eat the 70%?
I think I have a 3-year (?) package with Cubic included with my Nav pro. When that is spent - is there a way of going with someone other than Cubic and using the van as a hotspot with a data connection, rather than buying another mifi router?

(just re-ready your helpful first post - I can lock/unlock my MY22 with WeConnect)
I’ve be trying to get a definite answer about data for ever. VW have no clear answer just ambiguous statements in their awful manuals and the dealers are non the wiser. Rant over.
I too have the Discover Media Pro with We Connect Plus. I am aware of Cubic and that seems a real con for 5GBs a month. I have Apple Music and an iPhone so CarPlay is what I use for everything ie music, TomTom etc. using the VW system for DAB.
But the question I have asked is do I get any data allowance included in my DiscoverMedia Pro for 3 years and if so have much data per month??? It’s simple enough but no one working for VW knows.

Did anyone actually tell you you have data included in the 3 year?

I’ve be trying to get a definite answer about data for ever. VW have no clear answer just ambiguous statements in their awful manuals and the dealers are non the wiser. Rant over.
I too have the Discover Media Pro with We Connect Plus. I am aware of Cubic and that seems a real con for 5GBs a month. I have Apple Music and an iPhone so CarPlay is what I use for everything ie music, TomTom etc. using the VW system for DAB.
But the question I have asked is do I get any data allowance included in my DiscoverMedia Pro for 3 years and if so have much data per month??? It’s simple enough but no one working for VW knows.

Did anyone actually tell you you have data included in the 3 year?
It depends what you mean by data really.

VW use the eSim installed to transfer their data for the WeConnect system. After three years WeConnect will expire meaning they won’t need to transfer data. This is independent of Cubic.

This isn’t the same as you having access to that data for streaming or connecting devices to, as I understandIt.

My understanding is that there is no data for the driver to use. The data connection is for we-connect, traffic information, emergency services etc.

Given the price of the Cubic data, I struggle to see why anyone would use that instead of a data allowance on the phone.

It appears to be set up more for use in a commercial vehicle with multiple drivers that don't want to be using their personal phones to provide data in a company vehicle.

Discover.jpg
Yes Andy that makes sense. The brochure states:
"It also comes with 3-years’ We Connect Plus and provides online access to such information as traffic, fuel pricing, parking space availability, weather and news feeds; and includes online navigation software updates, enabling you to download the latest map data. Optional on Ocean models."
Presumably this all uses data but I've never seen anything to explain data limits for this. I note it doesn't mention the wifi hotspot here...

It’s as I suspected. As you have mentioned we get access to all the systems that need data, and VW provides that data for the length of the WeConnect contract. But music streaming, internet is our own responsibility. And yes Cubic is a laughable option.

Does DAB use data in the van? I only ask because in the brochure they mention that you will need a data package to use internet, streaming and radio. But I thought DAB was broadcast differently to streaming music etc.

It’s as I suspected. As you have mentioned we get access to all the systems that need data, and VW provides that data for the length of the WeConnect contract. But music streaming, internet is our own responsibility. And yes Cubic is a laughable option.

Does DAB use data in the van? I only ask because in the brochure they mention that you will need a data package to use internet, streaming and radio. But I thought DAB was broadcast differently to streaming music etc.
DAB is internet free, broadcast through radio towers. The latest system does have a section for internet radio, which is different

I've been following this with interest for a while. VW certainly don't make it easy to understand!
I'm thinking of risking an initial punt with the notorious Cubic to see what it brings me. In particular I'd like to listen to Radio Caroline's stream from Switzerland, something that's easy and totally free in our Tesla.
I'm a computer systems engineer and know a bit about streaming media so here's some information about how much (expensive Cubic) data streaming radio uses.
In general, an hour of listening to a radio station from your phone uses around 60MB. This is because connecting to a 128kbps stream uses around 1MB per minute. To be exact, it uses 0.94MB per minute, but it’s easier if you round up to whole numbers.
Here's where I found that info:

is there a way to keep the Wi-Fi on permanently i.e not turn off with the ignition as I do a lot of remote working

and secondly, can the eSIM accept a different service provider? i.e can I ring up Three.co.uk and get them to add a subscription to the inbuilt eSIM

If the above two are true and the LTE antenna is omnidirectional then the issue with phone tethering / separate routers with MIMO Antenna goes away

is there a way to keep the Wi-Fi on permanently i.e not turn off with the ignition as I do a lot of remote working

and secondly, can the eSIM accept a different service provider? i.e can I ring up Three.co.uk and get them to add a subscription to the inbuilt eSIM

If the above two are true and the LTE antenna is omnidirectional then the issue with phone tethering / separate routers with MIMO Antenna goes away
No to both AFAIK. The eSIM is via a VW provider (I think it's O2) and that is their own contract and they charge more for it if you want it to be a more extended wifi, so they wont allow people to just add their own. I have never had any issues working from van with a phone tether that would be solved with a more complex soliution so never quite sure why people look for more complex solutions to the problem...

No to both AFAIK. The eSIM is via a VW provider (I think it's O2) and that is their own contract and they charge more for it if you want it to be a more extended wifi, so they wont allow people to just add their own. I have never had any issues working from van with a phone tether that would be solved with a more complex soliution so never quite sure why people look for more complex solutions to the problem...
Depends what phone you’ve got but I’ve found the a mobile phone gets awfully hot with a big battery drain with frequent drop outs - I’m talking from personal experience hence looking for a more stable solution

Hi. I have on order a VW T6.1 California Ocean with We Connect plus. I looked into the company that offer data plans to work with the built in eSIM and they were extremely bad value and not worth considering. So I plan to hotspot from my iPhone. Does anyone have real world feedback on typical monthly data usage with the latest Ocean with Discover Media Pro dash and We Connect plus? Thanks.
Does the third gen radio system have inbuilt e sim in then ?.
There are 3 versions the 6 , 8 and 9.2 inch version screens .
I have the 8 inch version .
How much do they want to connect we connect plus , which enables vehicle tracker ??
I

The cost of WeConnect+ has recently been reduced. From memory I think it’’s now £109pa

Thats good to know, thanks. I was wondering how much data I would need on my phone when using it as a hotspot. But I realise now its impossible to answer as I depends on the usage. I plan on streaming music which would use a fair amount of data, I'll just have to experiment when I get the van. I don't use the van on a daily basis but would stream music on long journeys.
The van will use your phone to download data for traffic etc to display in the nav screen - that accounts for 3.4mb of the last 290gb of data usage on my phone since august. I understand that things like the position of the van are transmitted using the inbuilt sim & your we connect subscription includes that data. The biggest usage as others have suggested is downloading media which you should be able to avoid by downloading before your trip.

Has anyone redirected the antenna leads to a mifi to get a better signal
I’ve just asked the same question in a new post.

Did you ever find out if you can use the built in aerial with your own router..?

I’d like an external aerial, but if there’s a connection from the roof mounted puck that would be very neat.

I’ve just asked the same question in a new post.

Did you ever find out if you can use the built in aerial with your own router..?

I’d like an external aerial, but if there’s a connection from the roof mounted puck that would be very neat.
dont think i ever got a reply so i went with a 4g router with better quality signal, works fine now, not had a problem anywhere. normally phone is adequate but if i need a stronger signal the router is just a bit stronger but enough.

dont think i ever got a reply so i went with a 4g router with better quality signal, works fine now, not had a problem anywhere. normally phone is adequate but if i need a stronger signal the router is just a bit stronger but enough.
Yeah, I asked on a number of forums but didn’t really get any definitive answer. The best I got was that as the (two I believe) aerials feed directly into the Discover head unit it was unlikely I could piggy back off them.

My plan B is to actually sign up to the VW data plan next time I’m in a poor signal area and see if the onboard LTE/WiFi reception is any better. Most times I’m ok to hotspot off my phone, so it’s only very occasionally I need a better connection and for £9.99 it’s worth try the VW solution before investing (wasting…!) any money on an external router.

As part of plan B, I might stick another SIM into my dual SIM phone so I have the choice of another network. I’m currently on Three which seems poor when out in the countryside, my wife’s phone is on O2 (which is generally better than Three) so I’ll go for EE or Vodafone.

If all else fails, what 4G router and network did you go with..?

Last edited:
Yes, this is my confusion too. But I think the free 3 year period covers a "membership" to the WeConnect service. After 3 years it costs £100/year. But that this does not include data for streaming music subscription, DAB radio, map updates, travel info etc. This is why VW suggest the third party company to provide data, or that you hotspot your phone.

However, as I say I'm confused and some clarity would be great. My dealer has swerved the question and I can find no definitive answers at VW or anywhere else online. It seems to be deliberately ambiguous.
Basically exactly right.

For 3 years you get the pack that allows the app to work - connect to van, locks doors, OTA updates, etc.

After 3 years you renew. Our Tiguan was 70 quid if I recall right.

DAB does not use data per sey and will continue to work. The travel info, weather and news are pointless.

You don't get any of the other services, inc the newer in van wifi.

As others say, you don't need them - its a VW upsell that makes no sense. Just use your phone as said.

Edit - just noticed this is an ancient thread. Apologies to add to the ressurection!

Back