Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

De-frosting your windscreen?

willwander

willwander

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Frosty this morning, needed to defrost the windscreen...

I use De-Icer and a scraper, I would never, ever, ever use hot water as that might crack my windscreen...

However...'mrs willwander' thinks I'm an idiot and de-frosts her windscreen every morning with warm water...I've told her, but she won't listen :talktothehand

10 years later... and her windscreen has never cracked or shattered and my hands are freezing, is she right...again ?

Last edited:
Hot /boiling water - no/never!
Warm, (hand washing temperature) yes.
I have used this adage for years - never a problem.
Or.......do you have a heater in your Cali? If so you could put this on ten minutes before you need to start your journey.

Hot /boiling water - no/never!
Or.......do you have a heater in your Cali? If so you could put this on ten minutes before you need to start your journey.

Yep, but...ain't nobody got time for that, Ha ;)

I find the rear heater has limited effect on the windscreen without running for a long time, often the top of the screen clears but not the bottom ;).

A light frost then barely warm water will do. Seriously cold then no because the water your pouring on will simply freeze over.

I have the van heater going on and off periodically during the night. Minimal fuel usage, no frost, lovely and warm to jump into to.

For last 30 odd years I've always used a kettle of hot (never boiling but hotter than from the tap) water, around all the windows, not just the windscreen.

Never had any problems with glass, even when I've had chips in the screens. I understand others caution, but I can only report my experience....

Good afternoon,

The last few days we got a bit of cold nights as well.

I try to remember to switch on the heating. The remaining fros I get rid off with warm water (from the tap). This works well with the temperatures we have here.

I use the water also to clean the lights (front and back), but I don't bother with the back window.

I switch on the heating for the wing mirrors and when I finished with the windows I clean the mirrors (now free of frost, just wet).

Depending on the temperature this takes about 4 - 5 minutes.

Regards,
Eberhard

I guess this is a timely reminder:

There is no road law that says it is illegal to drive with snow/frost on your car.......but, please read on.....

However, ".............the Highway Code stipulates that if driving in adverse weather conditions you must, by law, be able to see out of every glass panel in your vehicle.

This is supported by the section 41D of the Road Traffic Act 1988, meaning it is a legal requirement to have a clear view of the road ahead before you set off.

Failure to do so could incur a fine, but more importantly could place your life, the lives of your passengers and the lives of those around you in danger.

This also means ensuring your windscreen is de-iced on the outside and thoroughly demisted on the inside.
"

Courtesy of the RAC.

Stay Safe folks.

Regarding our soon to be delivered Cali, I must admit that another of the 'selling points' in having the diesel parking heater was the fact that you could switch it on remotely, when you got up, on a frosty morning, and by the time you were ready to go out, hey presto..... a nice defrosted warm van.

That was the sales pitch & what I've imagined since..... can anyone confirm if this is actual realistic??

Regarding our soon to be delivered Cali, I must admit that another of the 'selling points' in having the diesel parking heater was the fact that you could switch it on remotely, when you got up, on a frosty morning, and by the time you were ready to go out, hey presto..... a nice defrosted warm van.

That was the sales pitch & what I've imagined since..... can anyone confirm if this is actual realistic??
It's a reality! :)

The remote for ours gets used regularly to switch on the heater. Defrosts and warms the interior. As a back up, then de-icer and a scalper. I would NEVER used water (hot, warm or cold) as the risk of damage to the glass is holistic too great.

You just have to be aware that via the remote, the heater will switch on at the setting it was last used, which for many just might be number 1. Whereas to defrost in say, 30 minutes might need a higher setting ( goes up to 10) So might be useful if expecting hard frosts to pre set it to the required setting first.

I've been lazy enough to use the remote control for the heater recently :thumb
When I'm a bit more up for it I'll just sit in the cab start the engine and use the heated front screen.

A light frost then barely warm water will do. Seriously cold then no because the water your pouring on will simply freeze over.

I have the van heater going on and off periodically during the night. Minimal fuel usage, no frost, lovely and warm to jump into to.
What setting do you leave it on over night out of interest

You just have to be aware that via the remote, the heater will switch on at the setting it was last used, which for many just might be number 1. Whereas to defrost in say, 30 minutes might need a higher setting ( goes up to 10) So might be useful if expecting hard frosts to pre set it to the required setting first.

Pretty sure if you hit the remote button twice it turns it on to full heat!!
I’ll go and try it tomorrow and confirm.

One is enough. All cupboard doors open and wardrobe door at rear open so that warm air can circulate around water pipes.
Hi GJ
Do you notice much fuel consumption as this sounds like a good idea on very cold nights (as long as I remember) :)

Pretty sure if you hit the remote button twice it turns it on to full heat!!
I’ll go and try it tomorrow and confirm.
Didn't realise this, and just found this quote from another thread which may explain why I've never realised as I don't switch my panel off......
"
If the Control Panel is left powered up, i.e. you haven't pressed the off/on ('0/1') button to turn it off, then it remembers the Aux Heater temperature setting. When you use the remote (or press the heater button on the panel), the heater will start up with that temperature still set.

If the Control Panel is left powered down, i.e. you have pressed the off/on ('0/1') button to turn it off, then it forgets the Aux Heater temperature setting. When you use the remote (or just power up the panel), the temperature setting will default to 7."

Hi everyone, i'm fairly new here having bought my first cali at the tail end of the summer but the heater remote on cold mornings is definitely one of my favourite features.
Does anyone leave the heater on when driving to avoid the cold bit between setting off & the cab heater warming up?

Hi everyone, i'm fairly new here having bought my first cali at the tail end of the summer but the heater remote on cold mornings is definitely one of my favourite features.
Does anyone leave the heater on when driving to avoid the cold bit between setting off & the cab heater warming up?
Yes

Back